Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advanced Electronic Apps. AT-3000 Antenna tuner  (Read 719 times)
W3RPM

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2009, 05:39:12 PM »

I didn't quite know what I was looking at when I missed out on a deal at a HamFest on a Dentron MT-3000 Antenna tuner. On searching, everyone says it's built like a tank and I'm kicking myself in the face for missing out on that deal.

Anyhow, I just now ended up with another tuner which I can't find much info about...

It's made by Advanced Electronics Applications, Model AT-3000.

It's got a cross needle Forward/Reverse Power meter with SWR readings where the needles intersect.

Upon dismantling it, it also appears to have a crude balun inside, consisting of wiring to the antenna posts being wound through some ferrite cores.

It has two adjustable inductors, with spring loaded contacts for transmitter and antenna matching and a bread slicer style adjustable capacitor for reactance tuning...

This is the exact opposite compared to the Dentron which has two capacitors for antenna and transmitter matching and a single inductor for reactance. Plus the inductor is switched with a rotary switch rather than the spring loaded contacts.

Can anyone tell me more info about the unit I have purchased? Did I get a worthwhile unit? Will it really handle more power when I upgrade to an amp later?

I've heard inexperienced hams (me) can damage antenna tuners by misuse. What should I do to preserve the tuner?
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 05:40:53 AM »

I had the AEA AT-3000 in the early 90's. They are a good unit or at least I never had any problem with it. Where most folks get into trouble is tuning at high power. Even a 3000 watt tuner can smoke if tuned improperly into a very reactive antenna. Always tune at low power, 50 watts is good, then touch it up at 500 watts and again if using higher power. The balun is a 4:1. With a tuner this old, I would check all connections and solder joints. Have fun! By the way these tuners were very expensive in the day.

73 de Lindy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: