Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-950 vs. FT-2000  (Read 8510 times)
KC0SKE

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2008, 11:32:32 PM »

I would imagine that this topic has been covered before. One reviewer said, they are identical in performance, but the layout of the 2000 is nicer. I can live with a steeper learning curve. I don't like re-doing things, so before I spend the money I want to make sure I am buying a radio I wont want to upgrade in 5 years. Truth be told, I'm very new to HF and don't really have any preferences.

Thanks for your opinions

73's

Noah
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 03:32:17 AM »

K3
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 08:06:23 AM »

Every other comment will be different between these two radios. Is there any reason that you are considering just these? I never rule out anything for the next rig and usually make my final choice by what I hear on the air. A consistant good signal by someone with a real antenna system is more important  to me than what I read here or in the reviews. The next step is to find someone that will let me play with their radio before I make the final choice. Good luck.

73 de Lindy
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:12:25 PM »

If I were you, I'd be wondering why the close spaced IMD numbers for the FT-2000 are in a league with the Japanese transceivers of 30 years ago (see here- http://www.sherweng.com/table.html).  You'll find the FT-2000 near the bottom.  That's certainly not the only important criteria in evaluating a transceiver, it should be one near the top of your list.  Don't know about the FT-950, but there are certainly better performers in that price range than the FT-2000.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 06:10:48 PM »

don't really have any preferences.

K3  

Put that at the top of the pile and see what other/any other rig can knock it off.  If you want the best, that will be continuously and easily upgradable, there's no other solution.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 09:04:45 AM »

>RE: Yaesu FT-950 vs. FT-2000       Reply
by KB9CRY on September 22, 2008    Mail this to a friend!
K3<

::When they're shipping from stock to fulfill an order same day, I'll buy one.  Until then, not a chance.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 09:29:32 AM »

General comment: Eveybody's dog hunts best, and most hams figure what they just bought is great.

Those of us with several rigs side by side to make comparisons often feel none are perfect and there's enough difference to justify having options.

I haven't spent much time with the FT-2000 and never owned one, but did spend about a day with the FT-950 and at the end of the day didn't care much for it, compared with, say, my 18 year-old TS-850S/AT which is easier to use and seems to outperform the new 950 at every turn.

So in my experience, I'd prefer a used TS-850S to a new FT-950 and would make that decision in an instant.

However, for casual operating with modest antennas I might not have noted much difference, other than the FT-950 requires more menu control (the TS-850S doesn't require any at all).

Before picking a "new rig," I'd try to use a lot of them first.  

WB2WIK/6
KC0SKE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 04:17:43 PM »

I LOVE this comment, this might be one of the most usefull pieces of information I've ever obtained from the internet. I don't know anyone who has either radio so that option doesn't really work here. However what I was mainly looking for was 7 or 8 comments of "Do not buy that radio only idiots who are dumb buy that radio buy this one instead, and from what everyone has posted it doesn't look like either have a reputation for being horrible. I did hear that the 950 is slightly more difficult to operate than the 2000 so that will play in to my decision. I know I like the Yeasu ft-1000 M5 if thats any help.

Thanks again!

"Every other comment will be different between these two radios. Is there any reason that you are considering just these? I never rule out anything for the next rig and usually make my final choice by what I hear on the air. A consistant good signal by someone with a real antenna system is more important to me than what I read here or in the reviews. The next step is to find someone that will let me play with their radio before I make the final choice. Good luck.

73 de Lindy"

KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 05:43:06 PM »

Read the reviews of the top DXers and LowBanders of the K3 and make your own decision.

Of course the rig is of little importance is you don't have at least descent antennas!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 05:45:04 PM »

Then why not buy a used FT-1000MP MKV?

It's a better rig than either the FT-950 or the FT-2000, far as I'm concerned, although it didn't include six meters (if that means anything to you).

There are zillions of MKV's out there, they're easy to find and "new enough" that they are still serviceable by Yaesu.

WB2WIK/6
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 04:53:10 AM »

I was being kind.  When you saw the numbers on the Sherwood report, did you not think that the FT-2000 is horrible?  If performance is not an issue with you, why bother to ask the question?  
KF4URY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 09:03:49 PM »

KB9CRY....do you really need to give the same answer three times?  Being a fan is one thing, being a fanboy is another....
KC0SKE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 01:50:36 AM »

First, please excuse my ignorance. What makes the ft-1000 better than the ft-2000 or ft-950? Secondly why would Yaesu make a radio of less quality, or less performance? Lastly, if not the 2000 or 950 which radio would you buy new and why? Lastly is Yaesu planning on releasing any new HF radios anytime soon?

Thanks again for be patient with me

Noah
AE5EH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 04:20:24 AM »

http://www.w8ji.com/picking_the_right_radio.htm
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 09:21:16 AM »

Read W8JI's comments in the middle of the page:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6673
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up