Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finished my Radio Shack build today  (Read 583 times)
K6REA

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2009, 06:21:29 PM »

I finally finished my radio shack today.
I will start moving into it probably this coming weekend.

it turned out ok for my first remodel on my own.

http://www.hamlogbook.com/radioshackfinal.html

Kevin
K6REA
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:26:51 AM »

Looks good.  So, I have a few questions.  What is the material for the desk tops.  Is that some kind of plastic layer on fiberboard?  Where is this located?  It looks like you have doors on each side of the room, or maybe one is a closet.

One think I would have done differently.  For the area where I would put all my rigs, I would have made room behind the desk so I could actually walk behind and diddle with cables, wiring, and so on.  Someday, when I build a ham shack I think that is one of the main things I will do.

I remember the radio room on my dad's ship.  He was a sea captain of steamships for the Weyerhaeuser Company back in the 1950s and 1960s.  The radio room had a row of 8 foot high, 19" wide, rack cabinets, the frame type, not enclosed cabinets.  This was smack dab in the middle of the room.  The radio gear was mounted in these cabinets and there was a table like "desk" in front.  So, you could freely walk around in the back and do whatever work in the back was needed for wiring or whatever.  Oh, one neat thing is that there was an adjoining room that had racks of lead acid batteries.  The entire radio room operated off of battery power and the batteries were charged by the ship's generators.  By the way, these ships were the old WWII Liberty Ships.

I keep that model in my head as the design for my radio shack.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:27:49 AM »

Kevin,

Looks fantastic.  Just don't wear shorts with the A/C blowing!!!

I don't see how you are bringing in the coax.  I have an idea using a couple of NEMA boxes and 4" PVC conduit.  Also, what's the box like structure on the far wall (not the windowed wall)?  Looks like a circuit breaker box or such.

Like I said in my original post to your original post, I'm about to do almost the same, but with less space.  I have about 9' X 9' to deal with.  A window on one wall.  Thinking a "U" with some drawers. Again, thanks for the posts and the ideas.

Jim - KB1NXE
K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 03:47:16 PM »

The material on the desktops is Formica.
just like you would use in a kitchen.

Those are not closet doors, that is the door leading to the still existing garage/workshop.

For the coax antenna runs, they come through the back wall from the still existing garage workshop.

Kevin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: