Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice on Yaesu quipment, what radio to choos  (Read 1349 times)
VE3PLO

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2009, 08:11:12 PM »

I have a FT-857D right now and it is hooked up to my Mfj-993B for HF. I was planning on using that rig mobile and in my "corner", but changed my mind since i want something big, easily accessible (buttons,menus etc) and with a bigger speaker.
I know what FT-857D is as good (probably) as All mode rigs get, but it is truly a mobile radio.

My choices for a base station are..

Ft-920 price around 700$ on ebay. HF+6m

Ft-847 Earth station 900$ on ebay. HF,6m,VHF,UHF

Ft-450 around 600$ on ebay. HF+6m only

What would be your choice?
I am kind of leaning towards something with a built in antenna tuner, so i can sell my mfj-993 once my FT-857D is gone and get some money back that i spent on these items.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 02:19:04 PM »

If you don't want or need the VHF coverage, you could add the FT-990 to the list. They can be had for $800 or so.
VE3PLO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 03:16:30 PM »

I have never seen that, thanks!
Is there any other ones that i missed?
KE7FD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 01:46:50 PM »

I run a FT-857D as a base with a TS-480SAT mobile. I like the '857 but unless I was to spend a great amount of time trying to memorize the manual and the menus, to use it as a mobile might increase the risk I present on the road. I know there are guys out there that may not agreee with me, but let's face it, any time a driver takes his eyes off the road to fiddle with a radio, cell phone or routy kids in the back seat, anything can happen. The FT-857D is so compact it may be [too] compact to be safely used as a mobile. It does give you the DC to daylight, FM/SSB/CW/digital capability in one small pacakage but, in my humble opinion, it may be taking it too far. Unless your knowledge of the radio is second nature, you will need to either pull over or not do much chaninging of the settings while mobile. The TS-480 and others are easier to operate safely w/o the same risk as the 857. I have also upgraced to a screwdriver antenna with a memory controller. That way, no antenna tuner is needed.

I do use Ham Radio Deluxe to both control my 857D and to operate digital from one PC as my base (two connections to the PC). There are many fine radios that will fill the bill quite nicely as have been mentioned already. Another very nice radio is the TS-850SAT. It's an HF only radio but was one of the best radios ever produced.

Best regards,
Glen - KE7FD
VE3PLO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 02:04:44 PM »

I think i will go with FT-847 for home. There is quite few of them. Simply because of all the bands being in "one box". I that technical/quality wise this is not the best solution but im a beginner. I think it will do just fine.

OR....

If i get a Ft-920 for the right price, i will purchase that and buy a separate rig for 2m for my house.
What do you think ?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 06:19:18 PM »

>RE: Need advice on Yaesu quipment, what radio to choos  Reply  
by K3AN on July 18, 2009  Mail this to a friend!  
If you don't want or need the VHF coverage, you could add the FT-990 to the list. They can be had for $800 or so.<

::That would be a very good deal.  The FT-990 was a high end rig with a great many features; it will completely "blow away" something like an FT-857D, there's absolutely no comparison, both transmitting and receiving.

I'd much prefer a used FT-990 to a pile of brand new mobile rigs, for home station use.

WB2WIK/6
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 07:18:18 PM »

I have a FT-890 w/tuner, its great!  No menu's, just knobs to turn and adjust.  Tuner built in, just push the button.  No VHF/UHF, but I have another radio for those bands.

Mike
K4JC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 10:38:30 AM »

I have an FT-920 and absolutely love it! Kind of a "poor man's FT-1000MP", and I had one of those too, but I actually like the '920 a little more. The FT-990 is also a fabulous (albeit older) rig, but I've seen some that were well abused so caveat emptor if you go that route.
WA8KAZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 09:07:51 AM »

No matter which radio you decide on, why buy it on eBay? I would go with a new rig and have a warranty!
Sure, some folks buy from eBay and haven't had a bad experience. However, there is always that chance....

WA8KAZ Wayne
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 11:46:07 AM »

VE3NEAR Huh?

What is your real call?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: