Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What advantages does the Icom 7800 have over...  (Read 717 times)
KG4WXP

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »

What advantages does the icom 7800 and it's yaesu equivalant have over the rigs in the 3000-6000 dollar price range?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Chris
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 06:32:52 PM »

I think you can get as many answers to that as there are hams interested in it. Take any one of the arguments, and someone's going to figure it's an important difference, and someone else will think it's not worth the money. But you can have the same sort of thing about differences in any of the price lines. Or about differences in older and newer rigs.

I suspect it might be true that if you study the literature and the reviews and user reports and still have to ask, it's probably is a silly purchase, because it means you aren't to the stage of making that kind of critical judgments about all those features and technology. I certainly don't feel like I need more than I have. Of course, if money is no object or it's important to have the biggest and best, that itself is an answer.

One thing that's not the answer is a difference between 100 and 200 watts. You can buy a lot of really big power and big antenna for far less money. And I would say that anyone who hasn't yet put the money and effort into the antenna isn't yet prepared to benefit from the cost of the radio.

But you figure for that kind of money, they will have gone all out in a lot of areas, and it's not that it's not value for money.
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 07:32:50 AM »

Not having owned an IC-7800, I would say in comparison to my Yaesu FT-2000, you would get these nice features:

1.  Two separate and independent receivers.  This includes separate control of antenna inputs to each receiver from all the antenna jacks. Makes it closer to SO2R than my Yaesu, in which the sub receiver needs to be on the same band as the main receiver.

2.  Better roofing filter design in the 3 and 6 kHz roofing filters.

3.  Built in RTTY and PSK demod which the Yaesu does not have.

4.  Four antenna inputs as opposed to 2. (both have seperate RX input for Beverage, etc)

5.  You would get opinions about whose DSP works the best.  The 7800 must be really slick.

6.  Built in Bandscope in ICOM 7800, plus 200 watts. If you need 200 watts a Yaesu FT-2000D runs $500 more in the used market than the FT-2000. However, once you get power conscious, you want more than 200 watts anyway. You can run your amp from 200-1500 watts, so buy a 100 watt transceiver, it takes up less desktop space.  Some nights on the air I don\'t feel like warming up my amp and 200 watts would be nice, but I could have gotten a solid state amp if I wanted to.

There will always be a customer for the most expensive rig. For me, my FT-2000 tricked out with the RF space SDR-IQ and IF-2000 ($600 worth of extras) and my computer gives me a better panadaptor than anything built into an ICOM. I deal with the roofing filter limits in the Yaesu by keeping it set to the 15 kHz roofing filter all the time. You can buy an FT-2000 used for $1800-1900, and a recent ICOM 756 ProIII for about $1900 as well...great rigs both. Save the extra $$$ over an IC-7800 for good antennas for low HF bands, tower, beam, rotor, receive antennas, computer and Ham Radio software, nice keyer, and focus on developing really good operating skills.  A new Ham hooking an IC-7800 up to a very limited antenna system makes no sense to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: