Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heil BM10 or ProSet?  (Read 913 times)
W5CPT

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2009, 08:43:20 AM »

I have decided to get into some SSB contests and I think I need a headset/mike. Looking at both the Heil BM10 and ProSet.  Price is close so that is not a factor but I am wondering about the Ear Pieces.  I understand the ProSet will block out external noise but that is really not a problem for me.  I am curious how comfortable the ProSet will be in long sessions.  I have a older set of Pioneer headphones that I find uncomfortable after about 10 minutes but they have vinyl earcups and get very warm. Also the BM10 series seem a little fragile.

Any recommendations?

Clint - W5CPT
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:27:13 AM »

The BM-10 & BM-5 are fragile like glass!  Not a good buy.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 12:10:18 PM »

I have two ProSets (one HM4 and one HM5) and a BM-10 (HM5).

The BM-10 is used with my portable rig most of the time. I even use it mobile if I am going to be parked for a while. I disagree that it is "fragile as glass". It is lighter weight, yes. The boom is lighter, yes. Fragile, not in my opinion. For my portable and parked mobile use, I have a hand-held PTT switch.

The BM-10 was designed originally for DxPeditions and was re-introduced for just that use.

If you don't need the isolation of the full-surround earcups, it's a good choice.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 12:14:03 PM »

My BM-10 is now more than 15 years old. I've had to replace the foam ear "cushions" but that's all. It is my everyday headset as the Pro-Set is too heavy and tight-fitting. We have used my Pro-Set for around ten Field Days, where reducing "local QRM" is important.

I wouldn't characterize either headset as "fragile."
W8FN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 02:15:50 PM »

If you plan to use the transmit monitor function (if you have one) on your radio, be aware that you will NOT be able to do it with the BM10. There's not enough isolation between the microphone and the earphones. Feedback city.

I can't speak to the ProSet, but I had an earlier incarnation of the over-the-ear Heil headset and also had feedback problems with it. I finally got a really good headset by gluing the boom mic holder from an old BM10 to the earcup of a pair of Extreme Isolation FX29 phones and using the BM10 mic assembly. This really works well.
KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 04:15:59 PM »

I've been using the monitor function on my TS-940S and BM10 for over ten years with no problem at all.  Wonder why yours doesn't function correctly?

Dino KL0S
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 07:14:43 PM »

Depends on the volume setting.  If you have very sensitive ears like mine, and like to listen at very low volumes, this will work.

For those who require or like higher volumes, it can be a problem.

For me, 50mW into a good set of headphones is "ear-splitting" and gives me a headache.  I listen at very low levels, which I've found many of my friends and relatives (including my XYL) would not like because they can't hear "anything" at those levels.

Peoples' hearing sensitivity evidently varies a lot.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 09:11:20 AM »

I do like my Traveler W/Dual earphones.  It is more ruggedly made than the BM-10, light weight and has a built in PTT and UP/DOWN keys.  It's great for mobile or portable ops.  Use it mainly when supporting club functions (F.D., town races, etc).

I also own the Pro Set Dual.  Love that for fixed ops.  Bit heavy for mobile/portable and as it shuts out all the noises,  might not be optimum where you also need situation awareness.  Also more things to get tangled with the separate cable for PTT.

I have not tried the BM-10.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: