Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Antenna Recommendations  (Read 589 times)
N4LCV

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2009, 02:38:16 PM »

I have a HiGain AV6, 20 meter through 6 meter vertical that I use for the high bands. I need a wire antenna for the low bands that I will use almost entirely on 75 and 40 meters. But if it would also get the high bands, that would be OK too. Seems like sometimes a wire gets out better than a vertical. I'm thinking about a G5RV, but wondered if anyone would recommend something else before I take the plunge. I have an automatic tuner, so that's not a problem.

I guess I ought to say something about how the antenna will be mounted. There are 2 large oak trees in the yard, and I have a rope across both trees. All I need is an antenna to stick in the middle. But whatever I get, it will be supported by both ends and the middle will droop some. The center feed line will come down right at the window for the shack.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Randall
N4LCV
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 04:23:18 PM »

One of the most recommended set-ups is a dipole cut to the lowest frequency of interest and fed with window line to a tuner. (Probably not within the range of most automatic tuners.) It will also back up the AV620 when the low angle isn't working well for short work. Its characteristics will largely depend on which frequency it's being used on, but more on the height. On 75 especially, it will be essentially a high-angle radiator and therefore nice for shorter and local paths. That is NOT to say it is not going to work on longer paths. It's just not optimal. Low angle (DX) work on lower frequencies is most often accomplished by antennas with at least some vertical component. If that's a concern, look into inverted L's and off-center fed wires that radiate in part from the vertical feedline.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 06:38:13 PM »

You could do a lot of stuff, but if you like to "plug and play" as some do, the Alpha-Delta DX-LB trapped dipole is quite good for 40/80 and even covers 160m.  It's only 100' long.

It's "full sized" on 40m, so it works just like a regular 40m dipole.  It's slightly loaded on 80m, and is down about 1.5 dB from a full-sized dipole and has somewhat narrower operating bandwidth, but it works very well.  It's quite loaded on 160m and has narrow bandwidth (like 30 kHz between 2:1 VSWR points) but if you stay close to that window (all the "DX" is between 1800 and 1850 anyway, except for the JAs who often "listen" down in "our" part of the band), it's fairly effective and probably 4-6 dB down from a full-sized dipole, but gets you on another band, just for fun.

Not expensive, well built, handles legal limit power, and no tuning or pruning is required.

WB2WIK/6
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 04:27:50 PM »

There are several brands of ladder line fed dipoles. The MFJ-1777 at $59.95 is a good example. 104' long and comes assembled with 100' of ladder line.

Van Gordon and others make similar antennas.
K0WA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 11:43:38 AM »

Try this site for some information about a trapped dipole

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/hypower/

I do not have any interest in the company, but they have good reviews and the product seems solid.

Lee - K0WA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: