Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendations? First HF Rig under $1500 new  (Read 4195 times)
KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 03:27:06 PM »

With a fist full of dollars, try before you by.

I had, and have these:
IC-746PRO HF-2 meters with the dreaded TX failure twice. Go for the late serial number.

IC-706MKIIG great for mobile or back-up rig.

IC-756PROIII great main rig with a working scope (fish finder Tongue)

You need to test drive any of the ones mentioned throughout these threads. Don't go by the reviews. You're the one that has to live with it.

Good luck!

NE3R

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 12:09:54 PM »

"Antennas, etc are a separate issue"

Antennas are, well, the most important thing.  If I had that much land.... well, Smiley

A lot of suggestions were made, but there really isn't enough information on your operating preferences to give you good suggestions.  If you haven't quite figured out what you plan to do on the HF bands, the Icom IC-718 is an inexpensive starting point, and resells well if it doesn't meet your needs.

I always say, you can never go wrong with an Elecraft K3 Smiley but that is a little out of your price range.  

73 de Joseph M. Durnal NE3R
N5XO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 04:05:43 PM »

for beginner, consider IC-718. under $600 I think. use the rest of $ for power supply, tuner, power meter, antennas, good coax etc. Then when (if) sun spots come back consider more expensive SDR based radio, IC756proIII class etc.

End of quote:

Stay away from the Icom 718, it is far to bare bone and not a very good radio, we have one that is in our cabin at the ranch, I bought it because it was cheap and left out in the middle of no where I did not want to miss it a lot if it was stolen. I put a FT 450 in my truck as a mobil rig and if I had it all to do over again I would have bought another FT 450 for my cabin.

The FT450 is between $50 to $100 more than the  718 and includes 6 meters, and has a built in auto tuner and a host of features.

Wit the FT450 for close to the same price as the 718, the 718 just does not make sense.

I second the comment of if you want a do it all radio the TS2000, it is a great radio, and for a shack on the budget is a perfect choice, but it is a jack of all trades and master of non. If you are happy with your VHF setup, I would spend the money on an FT 950 for a better quality HF/6 meter rig.

I own a 718, FT450 and TS2000 so I can speak from experience with those radio's, I do not have an FT 950, so can only tell you what I have heard, but it sounds like a great rig. For my base station I skipped over the low end and have 2 FT 2000D's and an Icom 756 Pro III and the TS2000 is for 2 meters, 440 and satellite.
W7KB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 07:25:08 PM »

Since you are already VHF/UHF capable,I believe an ICOM 7200 would be a great selection.I have an ICOM 746PRO.Minus the 2 meter option and an inboard auto tuner,this rig will perform practically at the same level.A PS-125 power supply is the only other radio accessory needed to get you on the air.Antennas,depending on your operating QTH will be the next important decision to be made.Antenna selection and feedline choice is crucial to make this a well sounding station.Good luck in your choice(s).73.Dennis/W7KB.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: