The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microphone recommendation for beginner?  (Read 2488 times)
KC4YEY

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2009, 04:35:18 PM »

I'm just about to get started in HF.  I've been an amateur for 18 years and just upgraded to Extra class.  It's about time to do more than 2 meters and 70cm.

I've picked out my intended HF rig, a nice Yaesu FT-1000,
and should be picking it up in a few days.   But it doesn't come with a microphone.

I'm looking for recommendations on what you think are the best sounding desk mics available for this rig.  I'm not too worried about cost.  I won't go overboard but I think I can afford an excellent microphone.   So please, make some recommendations to me so I can start to check them out.

Chris
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 05:20:56 PM »

I'd suggest either a Yaesu desk mike designed for the radio or one of the Heil mikes.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 04:55:38 AM »

Heil HM-10

http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/products/hm10dual/index.htm

The HM-10 Dual is a dynamic microphone designed for clean, clear, articulate audio for Amateur Radio communications circuits. The HM-10 Dual includes both the HC-4 "DX Dream Machine" element and the HC-5 full-range element, and it's ideal for hand-held use, for mounting on a boom, or mounting on a desk stand.

$128 List.
Requires CC1Y rig cable ($35 List) and desk stand of your choice (A "cheapie" Atlas Sound stand available at Radio Shack will do just fine.)

At R&L Electronics:
Microphone - $119.95
http://www.rlham.com/cgi-bin/shop/modellookup.dbw?MODEL=HM10DUAL

CC1 Cable - $29.95
http://www.rlham.com/cgi-bin/shop/modellookup.dbw?MODEL=CC1Y

Good luck.

Mel - KS2G
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 09:55:06 PM »

I use the Heil PR40 on everything and it works well with all my transmitters.  It's not a high output mike and requires cranking up the mike gain a bit higher than with some others, but it's very good at rejecting noise from the sides or back and can be used in a fairly noisy environment just fine.  Its response and fidelity are outstanding.

I was listening to the "Tech Guy" Leo LaPorte on the radio today (he's broadcast coast-to-coast but his show originates in L.A.) and coincidentally, he happened to mention today that the mike he's using on the radio to initiate his broadcasts is the same mike: A Heil PR40.  Quite a coincidence.

WB2WIK/6
K7RNV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 11:21:26 PM »

Yaesu md 100 it will work great with the mp1000.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 10:15:12 AM »

Heil
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 04:29:01 PM »

The best microphone is a telegraph key.
WB0MCO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 10:06:27 AM »

Use the microphone that the manufacture supplied or
one that you have to purchase from them for that rig.
Anything but a Heil,way overrated and over priced.
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 07:21:22 PM »

Love it.

"The best microphone is a telegraph key."
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »

The basic hand mike that Yaesu sells for use with HF rigs works fine and is available used inexpensively. One came with my FT920 and it is completely adaquate.

I have also used a Heil HM-10 dual element desk mike. I bought it used and I use it with the "DX element". It works well and I got good audio reports from people who have heard my voice in person. I hated the loss of space on my small shack desk and the crick in my neck I got trying to stay the right distance away from the mike all the time.

My favorite is the Heil Pro-Set boom headset because it is always the correct distance from my lips and copy is so much easier with headphones than using a speaker. It is much easier picking out callsigns with the sound presented into both ears. I use VOX or the MOX switch on the panel of my FT920 even though I own a foot switch.

Compared to radios, mikes and headsets are inexpensive and you can probably afford to try a few to find out what works best for you.

Enjoy the hobby

73 de Walt N2IK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: