Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT450AT vs TS480SAT  (Read 2360 times)
TI2DYS

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2009, 01:48:15 AM »

Hi, I am looking for an economical but trustable HF transceiver...

I've been reading reviews of both FT450AT and TS480SAT transceivers, however I am still not sure which one should be the best choice so I'd like to know your opinions or if you have a better idea.

TS480SAT seems good but filters are quite expensive; FT450AT also seems good but has only one antena entrance and the knob... so little!

Just to name a couple of things

73's Alejandro TI2DYS
KG5KS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 07:07:14 AM »

I did look at the 450at, but after talking to several that used those they said thay full duty cycle was around 50 watts.. Bought the 480HX with 200 watts and loved it.  Buy the radio and then see, if you need the filters.  Mine had both SSB / CW filters and never used them..  However the 480 will allow you to use combinations of BOTH SSB / CW filters. So you could use CW filter combo with SSB filter while on SSB.  Read all the manuals, and the TECH manual that are free downloads for the 480.  Hope this helps

Kenny
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 06:44:02 PM »

For me, the TS480SAT just seemed to feel "better."  I looked at the FT450 and it seemed cheap manuf.  I can't explain it any better than that, sorry.

I do have two FT817ND rigs that I love, and TS570 with the TS480.

Mark Lunday
WD4ELG
TI2DYS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 02:03:27 AM »

Thank you very much Kenny! I have been reading the manual as you told me and it seems like the TS-480 has some very interesting features. I've always had Yaesu and I don't have much experience with Kenwood, but I like the TS480 more than the FT450, it seems more complete... and nicer!
TI2DYS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 02:17:43 AM »

Thanks for your reply Mark! I know what you mean and it is what I was wondering about the TS480, looks better and you tell me it feels better too, which is quite important actually and I wouldn't know it by a picture!

What do you feel about the the remote display with the metal base, is it stable?
Do you think the optional filters are a must?

Alejandro
W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 06:44:02 PM »

I have the Kenwood 480SAT - it's a very good radio.  I have used the 450, also a good radio.  But for feel and usage the win goes to the Kenwood, hands down - IMHO.

I do only SSB and have no filters.  The voice board is very nice for contesting and does not cost very much.

The base is very stable - not a problem.
KE5OKQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 06:51:02 PM »

Get the TS 480HX:  The 200 watts is a nice addition over the 100 watt model.  Check yor SWR, you may not even need a tuner.  If you do need a tuner buy an LDG or MFJ tuner.  If you buy the TS480SAT, you will only have a 100 watts and if you sell it, of course the tuner goes with it.

If you buy the HX and an outboard tuner, you get the 200 watts and if you sell it, you still can keep the tuner (which has a broader range than the built in tuner that comes with the radio)  I never again have to factor in whether a radio I buy has a tuner!
KE5OKQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »

Get the TS 480HX:  The 200 watts is a nice addition over the 100 watt model.  Check yor SWR, you may not even need a tuner.  If you do need a tuner buy an LDG or MFJ tuner.  If you buy the TS480SAT, you will only have a 100 watts and if you sell it, of course the tuner goes with it.

If you buy the HX and an outboard tuner, you get the 200 watts and if you sell it, you still can keep the tuner (which has a broader range than the built in tuner that comes with the radio)  I never again have to factor in whether a radio I buy has a tuner!
KE5DFK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 02:44:15 PM »

Go with the TS-480HX hands down.  The 200w is nice many times I could not break a pileup with 100w and start driving the power and get in and make my contact over 170w, it makes a difference.

Single item menu, huge display, great receive.  If you run PSK your duty cycle when you look at it is like 12% since your only using 25w out of a possible 200 so your radio is just sitting there waiting for you.

The interface for PSK is just a straight cable nothing in between.

Use an IOTA 55 switching PWS.  Have never had a noise issue with it.  I use an MFJ993B tuner for base and mobile.

Carlos
KE5DFK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: