Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep the TS-450SAT?  (Read 2403 times)
W7SMJ

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2009, 02:49:44 PM »

Hi,

I'm considering upgrading my station to a Kenwood TS-2000X.  I know that rig is eight year old technology, but I like the shack in a box concept and it would seem to allow me to explore different modes of operation.  I also like Kenwood rigs and have been a fan since 1981.

From the title you have probably surmised that my station is currently built around a Kenwood TS-450SAT that I purchased new in 1992.

I recently saw a comparable rig sell for $650.00 and I feel my rig could bring the same price.  So, the question is should I sell my TS-450SAT or keep it?

Thanks for your opinion!

Scott
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 06:36:38 AM »

I guess I'd think about how much I wanted the backup rig or how hard it would be to borrow a spare. Would you ever use it, unless your main radio broke down? And could you use the money for something you want, or could you use the difference between it and a cheaper, older backup. And radios have a way of developing problem when they just sit. I think you might be a hair optimistic about the value from what might have been one selling a bit high. It's not going to appreciate over time or even hold its value. Even if you want a spare and are prepared to keep it working, there are older radios that have neared the bottom of their price curve.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 08:55:31 PM »

You might be very pleased with the TS-2000.

I never had a 450SAT, but I've been an owner of a TS-850SAT since it was new in 1990.  I've sat it on the bench next to the TS-2000, twice, over two weekends.

In terms of all-out performance, the 850SAT "blows away" the little TS-2000.  However, the 2000 covers 3-4 more bands and of course it's still sold new, so it will be reparable for years longer.

I think the tradeoff is whether or not you value the 50 MHz and above coverage.
K8PJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 03:47:37 AM »

I have both rigs in the shack, The TS2000 is a great Swiss Army Knife rig, I use it as the main rig, The TS450SAT is used for Digital Modes hooked to a Signalink USB. Both rigs interface well with HRD.

If you can afford it try to keep both rigs, both great radios.

Phil K8PJM
KB4OIF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 03:57:44 AM »

I agree with Phil.  If you can keep both of them, do so.  You never know when you will need a spare.  I just recently picked up a little used TS 480HX from a local ham that bought it new about a year ago. Maybe 10 -12 hours time on it. His health is failing so he gave me first crack at it as we have been friends and radio ops from back in the 70's.  I plan to about every week or so firing up the TS 440S just to keep it going.  The learning curve was a bit steep for this old man going from the 440 to the 480HX.  

KB4OIF
73's
W7SMJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 01:32:29 PM »

All:

Thanks for the feedback.  I could definitely keep the 450 but I have a TS-130S and an FT-817 that could serve in a pinch if needed and it would be nice to help defray the cost of a new rig...

@WB2WIK: Steve, I see what you mean about the 850 "blowing the doors off" of the 2000.  It looks to me like it's probably a slight advantage to the 2000 in comparison to the the 450 on HF though...

Scott
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 04:35:37 PM »

As Steve mentioned, although the 2000 covers more bands, has DSP, satellite mode, etc, the receiver is crap compared to the 450's and 850's. I find myself struggling to hear the weak stations on the 2000 even using the DSP. In fact I find the DSP makes the signals sound watery. I thought I would use 2m and 440 more on the 2000 but not much SSB activity up there in my area. Should have kept my 870 and TR751A. I would trade the 2000 for a mint 80 mil serial 850 any day! If you want the 2000 for casual operations, it's a nice do all radio, but expect it to perform well in a contest environment.

Max
VE3TMT
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 04:36:24 PM »

Sorry meant to say "don't expect it to do well in a contest environment"

Max
VE3TMT
W0XE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 07:25:15 AM »

Hello Scott,

Need another opinion??  I have a TS-450S/AT I bought new.  I'm thinking of getting a Yaesu Ft-950 and do I trade or not??  My TS-450 works so well, is easy to operate, and has 2 very good CW and SSB filters. But what happens if something goes wrong and costs a bunch??  I don't have another backup as you do.  

My first thought is if you can get $650 for it, trade/sell it.  I cannot get that trade nor have I seen them go for much over $350-400.  So there we go.

I'm leaning toward trading mine and just hope I will like the FT-950 or maybe FT-2000.

Another opinion.

Don, wd0bwm
W7SMJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 03:58:16 PM »

Hi Don,

Thanks for your thoughts!  The price I quoted was from a recent ebay auction so someone was willing to pay that much (maybe the only person, but there are probably others).  So far I have seen the 450 sell on ebay the $500 - $650 range.  I know you can't guarantee a price on ebay, but with a reserve I can at least try to get a buyer in that range.  I'm not aware of any blemishes and have never had any issues with my rig.  It has always been covered when not in use and has always been in a non-smoking environment.  I have the original box, plastic bag, manuals and can even provide the original sales receipt and warranty card.

I understand your conundrum, the 450 is getting older and parts are probably getting harder to find.  That's partially why I think now would be a good time to part with the rig while it still commands approximately half it's purchase price.  I think an FT-950 looks like a nice rig and would probably surpass the 450 in performance, plus you get 6M!  Still, it's hard to part with a known rig that sounds like has served you well.

Good luck and 73,
Scott
KF6A

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 11:08:30 PM »

I have a TS-690 (purchased new), which is the TS-450 with 6m, and I don't feel handicapped with the receiver at all. Mine has InRad filters and holds up just fine in contest environments. I do CW, SSB and RTTY contests with it. I've never used a TS-2000 but I have a hard time believing you would be improving on the receiver that much, if at all.

I would try to find a local ham, someone in your club (you are in some type of club, right?) that owns the rig and see if he will demonstrate it for you or maybe let you operate it in a contest or whatever use you have planned.

If I could get my hands on a K3 I might replace it, but other than that I love the way the receiver sounds and mine isn't going anywhere any time soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: