Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building A Desk Shelf/Riser  (Read 8321 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 07:46:51 AM »

My desk is a general purpose office desk with three regular drawers on the left and a file drawer and regular drawer on the right.  I also needed a second level shelf to hold the equipment I use.

I went to the local home improvement store and got a single hollow core closet door, 18 inch by 60 inch, meant to be one side of a swing out door pair.  It is just about perfect for a second shelf above the desk top. 

For 'legs' I used a pair of 'U' shaped legs off of a cheapo computer stand that were meant to hold a printer shelf up, and a pair of 1" x 3" wood strips to provide both stability and a means to attach the legs to the desk edge in the back.  The legs provide about 8 inches of separation between the desktop and the shelf bottom, and are large enough to provide plenty of support for the shelf.

There is plenty of space for most rigs--including ventilation space--and the assembly is sturdy enough to hold a printer/fax unit, a monitor, (CRT) and whatever other small items you may have a need for.  The door extends about 6 inches over either side of the desktop, but I find that isn't a problem.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: