Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats the Best for Headphone/Mic for Pro3  (Read 1743 times)
G1HJW

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2009, 06:15:51 AM »

Hello all fellow Hams.
I use a Ic-756Pro3 with a desk mic, but I am now looking to go for a headset/Mic for DX'ing I have at the moment taken a like to the Heil Pro Set but there are 3 inserts IC, HC-4 HC-5 what really is the best for the Pro3 ? or is it just the iC insert.
I am also open and intrested in any other makes of headphones with boom mic that are better for my needs.
Any info as to what would really do the job is most welcome.
Thanks Tony G1HJW
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 05:09:44 AM »

I use the Heil Pro Set Plus "iC" with my 756 PROIII with very good results. It can switch between the "iC" element (full response "ragchew" audio), and the HC-4 (DX...pile-up cutter) element. Technically, the "iC" element was designed for earlier model (non-PRO) Icom xcvrs due to their low gain mic preamps. With this in mind, the HC-5 would be fine for your PROIII, as it has a higher gain preamp. However, Bob Heil still recommended using the "iC" element with my PROIII, just don't turn the gain up as high (watch the ALC indication). I have gotten stellar audio reports with it. If you're just going with the Pro Set (non-plus), you'll have to decide what your operating desires are. If you do mostly ragchewing and little involvement in contests and/or DX pile-ups, go for the "iC" or HC-5 element for full response "richer" audio. For DX and contests, get the HC-4, with its narrow, high-frequency response and very little bottom-end. Hope this helps, and good luck with your decision.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 05:50:30 AM »

I took a bit of a different approach.  There's a world of headset/mics out there beyond the Heil offerings.  I thought about an aviation headset - pilots routinely use a headset/mic that they wear for many hours so I thought that they were probably fairly comfortable and durable.  I bought a FlightCom Denali headset/mic which includes a small mic amp that's housed in one of the ear pieces and powered from the electret mic voltage available on Icom and other mic connectors.  I found the performance of the headset mic to be excellent with both my Pro III and my Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk V.  The headset is comfortable and has individual volume controls on the earpieces in the event that you don't have equal hearing ability in each ear.  Overall, the unit is substantially better built than the Heil although it costs a bit more up front.  You can often find aircraft headsets on eBay and elsewhere at good prices and there was a good article in QST a few years back about adapting them to ham use.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 06:13:38 AM »

I use the Warren Gregoire headset on my Pro-III and in the airplane. It may be just me, but I like it better than the Heil Pro-set that I paid &239 for. The Warren Gregoire was $59 including the connector and PTT. And "NO" I don't work for them (:-)

73 de Lindy
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 08:39:32 AM »

I will second the Heil Proset Plus iC.  I also use that combination on my Pro III and get excellent reports.  Also, I have not found a more comfortable headset.  Even over my costly Beyer Dynamics or Sennheisers I use on the stereo.
N0AZZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 11:45:34 AM »

Heil Pro Set Plus and you don't have to worry about another one. I have been using mine through several radios a good investment IMHO.

73 de Fred
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 11:09:20 PM »

I agree that the Heil Proset with a #4 element for DX, And another for normal ragchewing is a good combo.

(I have the #4 and 5 in mine and get good reports)
WB0MCO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 09:19:55 PM »

Yamaha CM500,for the price $40-$55 can't be beat. You
will have to do some wiring and install your own mic
plug.Great product not discovered by the amateur radio
community yet.Been using one with my IC765 and IC7700 with great audio reports.
Should work with the Pro3 or any other Icom.
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 04:32:34 PM »

You can buy the Heil Icom adapter and then not have to build your own, if you are allergic to soldering irons.

I got to A/B the Yamaha CM500 versus a Heil ProSet over the weekend.  The Yamaha was much more comfortable and audibly less distortion in the headphones.  The Icom's 8V bias for the Icom mics feeds the Yamaha mic just great.

The whole look and feel seems more pro and sturdier than the Heil offering, too.

- k
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 05:00:10 PM »

The best microphone is a telegraph key.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 04:20:37 PM »

I use a plantronics headset intended for computer soundcard use.  I recieve a lot of unsolicited  audio compliments.  Also has great recieve audio, and light weight. It is an over the head dual headset with a movable boom mic. It would be my choice again when this one wears out.
Jim K0UA
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 05:37:38 AM »

I agree with K0UA.

I use a Genius HS-04SU computer headset/mic, $14.99 at the local computer store. Use on my 756PRO and receive many unsolicited compliments on the audio during SSB contests.

For biasing and DC blocking I used a 2.2K resistor and a 3.3uf cap. Mounted right inside the mic connector and all works FB.

Go and spend 10x the amount for the name brand if you want, I'm glad I didn't.

Max
VE3TMT
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 07:23:21 AM »

I dont know what is best, but I have been using a cheap plantronics computer soundcard headset with my pro III.
Soundcards also need an Electret Microphone, just like the 756proiii. So this is a direct hookup, I just made a little box to transition the connectors and provide a PTT button. I get a lot of unsolicited reports of good audio. The unit I have has 2 headphones and a nice boom mic with a foam windscreen. I believe it cost less than $20. It is very comfortable to wear for many hours and has excellent headset audio, and blocks out the outside noise very well.  Just my 2 cents
K0UA
Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: