Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome to StolenGear  (Read 4418 times)
N2MG
Administrator

« on: June 11, 2001, 12:07:19 AM »

Welcome to StolenGear, a new forum added 11-June-2001.

Please post any questions/suggestions regarding any gear you have had stolen, or regarding protecting equipment from theft.

73 Mike N2MG
webmaster

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2001, 07:58:06 PM »

Laptop cases are inexpensive and tough ! New or used.

Mount your rig on a piece of plexiglass
and strap it into the laptop case.

Poke a small hole it the strapping and insert
a short machine screw with a wingnut to keep
the strapping tight.

Run the seatbelt through the handle on the case
and buckle it up to keep the radio on the seat.

When you leave the car, just take the radio in the case with you
or lock it up in the trunk.

Plenty of room for repeater listings, notebook, pens,
coax connectors and whatever else you need.

Great for emergencies or public service too !

73 clay
KF4BOT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2001, 08:32:13 PM »

I never permanently mount any radio equipment in my car. I have all my mobile gear on slide mounts. When I leave the car, the radio either goes with me or in the trunk. When I get home, I just bring the radio in the house with me. I use my dual band mobile on a slide mount in the shack as well. It is mounted underneath my radio table in the shack. For mobile VHF/UHF, I use a mag mount. For mobile HF, I just screw the whip off the 3/8" trunk mount and put it in the trunk. It may seem a bit cumbersome to remove the radio and antenna, but I take only one radio with me in the car at a time. Could you imagine mounting and dismounting 3 or 4 radios and antennas!

My mobile theft prevention tactics are a carry-over from my CB days back in the Seventies. A friend of mine back then once parked his car in his driveway, went into the house for 5 minutes to go to the bathroom. When he returned, his car window was broken and his radio was gone. Therefore its not only the loss of the radio, but damage to the car that we have to worry about. In general, it is wise to not leave anything visible in the passenger compartment of an unattended vehicle, not even a jacket. You stand the chance of finding a broken window when you return.
KD7EHC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2001, 07:30:11 PM »

"GONE IN 60 SECONDS"  Actually, my gear was "gone in less than 30 seconds".  As a retired law enforcement officer I should have been smarter. On my way to a hamfest I stopped for the night at a quality motel in a good neighborhood. I parked my Tahoe squarely in front of the motel room, grabbed a couple of suitcases and walked 15 feet into the room, heard a car door slam and turned around and saw absolutely no one in sight. I walked back out to my vehicle and discovered that the two fanny packs with 5 HT's, $100 cash, and accessories, one stuffed under the front seat, the other under the back seat, were gone! They left CD's, and other easy pickings in plain sight, and grabbed the stuff under the seats. Perhaps, thinking that the good stuff would be secreted away? My vehicle is a fortress with the latest/greatest alarm and locking systems on the market. But it took only one careless moment to mare what could have been a great time at the Hamfest. Makes you think, huh? Gotta take all the precautions you can. It could happen to anybody! Even a retired Cop!!
PE1RLN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2001, 03:05:35 AM »

Here's my tip for the weekend:

When you have an alarm in your car, it'll go off when someone's breaking in, but nobody will act.

I thought it wise to add an extra horn IN the car, right next to my radio. It gives such a horrible lot of noise that it is impossible to stay in the car.

Ofcourse you have damage of a broken window, so preventing is better than healing, but the radio is still there.

I have an IC-706 permanently in my car instead of a radio. I only put on the front when listening and for the rest I keep it in my jacket. A very bright neon-sticker on it says: SECURITY like on many radios. A thief will immediately see that the radio is useless. They will only break in when they think the front is in the little compartment (what's it called?) but I always leave that open. A criminal breaking in for some sweets...

Have luck and fun. Keep up the HAM-spirit!

73 de Thijs, PE1RLN
N2LWL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2001, 08:15:57 AM »

Nice idea for a forum, perhaps a database of stolen serial numbers is next? *hint, hint*

Whenever you pick up a new piece of gear, make sure you record the serial number and save the receipt. I've had my house broken into twice, and I lost a garage full of radio gear and a bunch of computers. I neglected to keep the information (serial #, models, etc) or the receipts. I recovered half of what I put into the equipment.

I'd suggest you pick up one of the cheap digital cameras (or borrow one). Take snapshots of your equipment and have them burned onto a CD, perhaps with scans of the receipts. Store the CD somewhere safe, like a safe deposit box or your office. Keeping your records with your equipment is asking for trouble should a fire or disaster occur.
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2001, 09:14:18 PM »

STOLEN IN ABINGDON, VA--December 2000

1-Kenwood TM-732A 2 meter/440 mobile S/N 51001557 with microphone.  Unit is unique in that it has one PL-259 and one SO-239 for output.  PL-259 is on the 2 meter side.  Unit was stolen from unlocked car parked in front of my house (boy, was I stupid!).

Any information greatly appreciated!

Steve, KE4MOB

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2001, 04:58:12 PM »

I have to post this as anonymous, as I am still so embarassed my participation in this.
The story begins when an old non-ham friend of mine asked me to help him in "getting rid of some old ham gear."  We were 17 or 18 years old in high school, and being the licensed Tech, I readily agreed, without asking any questions.  My friend loaded a Yaesu FT-101 (this was late 1970's or very early 80's) and other sundry goodies into my car.  I assumed we were bringing it to a prospective buyer's house for a test.  But when we passed the high school, my friend asks me to pull in fro a second.  I do so, and he opens the door and places the rigs right by the front door to the high school.  (This was 10 PM on a school night)  He then walks over to the phone booth and makes a couple of phone calls.  Suspicious, I asked him what he was doing, and he gave me an answer that he "borrowed" the rig and other equipment, and called the guy to come pick them up (?).  I was uneasy about this arrangement, having to wait for this guy to arrive.  My suspicions were borne out as I heard police sirens and saw flashing lights arriving, so we hurriedly left.  It turns out my "friend" had "borrowed" this equipment by throwing a brick through a glass window at the school.  He used the phone to call the police as a "tipster" to tell them where to find it, because after two or three weeks, he had blwon the rig and the amp by using an inadequate CB antenna.  Additionally, he had been bootlegging all this time on 10 meters and 2 meters with this stuff, all while USING MY NAME AND CALLSIGN!!!!   How stupid could I have been???!
KC7MAW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2002, 03:11:23 PM »

I can spot a Ham a mile away while driving down the road and it won't take a thief very long to connect the presense of multiple antenna's (some of them downright ridiculous) to hundreds if not thousands of dollars in Comms Equipment.

Advice: Keep the antenna low profile
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2002, 08:48:26 PM »

KD7EHC,I HAVE MINE STOLEN OUT OF MY TRUCK OUT OF MY DRIVE WAY .MY MOM IS STILL UP AND DID NOT HEARD NOTHING AT ALL ,THEY ALSO BROKE MY SIDE WINDOW,IF THEY WANTED TO PLAY GAMES WITH ME.I'LL PLAY GAMES WITH THEM THE RADIO COME WITH ME ,RADIO COST TOO MUCH!BESIDES I USE MY MOBLE AS A BASE AS OF NOW.I'LL OUT SMART THEM .HEHE
KB0NLY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2002, 10:22:30 PM »

Guess i'm lucky to live in small town USA where there are hardly any hams, and antennas to be seen are usually on commercial or farm vehicles. Have never had the experience to have something stolen from my vehicle, then again i always park in a highly visible area and keep the vehicle locked when visiting any larger nearby towns. If you get a radio stolen, i would lay odds on finding it in a pawn shop the same week in the area that it was stolen, have seens it happen a few times to others, guess my radios are to old to get stolen, HI HI.

KBØNLY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: