Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Theft from apartments by persons with pass keys  (Read 5434 times)
N8FGV

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2003, 05:08:54 AM »

My ham gear was stolen from my locked apartment on two different occasions, with no sign of forced entry, obviously an inside job by someone with a pass key. The apartment managemant was indifferent when I reported the thefts. A neighbor who was also a ham also lost equipment in the same complex.

Thankfully I am now a homeowner. If the theives want my equipment they will have to break down the door, no more pass keys. I don't even allow repair or service persons to enter the house if no one will be home.

When you check into a hotel, a sign at the front desk reminds you to check your valuables in the safe because the hotel denies responsibility for the security of your room. I think that when you sign an apartment lease you should be given a similar notice, because they also have no interest or responsibility for the actions of their dishonest employees. If you live in rental housing, be very careful about leaving valuables where the maintainance personel can see them when you are not there, and report any missing items to the police (no they won't recover them for you, but it establishes that a pattern of crime exists in that complex).

Dan Schultz N8FGV
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 10:48:04 PM »

Anyone renting an apartment should also obtain
renters insurance to protect their items.

Similar to homwowners policy, except the building is
not covered, just the contents.

Fire, flood or other disaster can leave you without
anything except the clothes on your back.

Some policies may have add on coverage for your radio
gear.

73 james
KB8ZKL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2003, 09:38:20 AM »

Change the lockset when nobody is looking. If you can't do it in a couple minutes, get help to do it.
It is usually illegal for passkey holders to even try to gain entry without permission from you, the leaseholder. You should get 24hrs notice in most places.
Engrave your i.d. info onto the equipment, photograph them and give copies to your insurer. Do these things even though you have bought your own home. Does the previous owner have keys lying about that fit your locks?
I am a landlord, and I always switch locks when buying a home or changing tenants.
A small yapping dog does wonders to discourage casual thieves. Try a Jack Russell, smart, clean and loyal dogs.
Good relations with your neighbors is absolutely crucial to neighborhood security. Get some doughnuts and invite the local cops to come out to one of your homes and give advise on security. They have a lot of really good ideas. Safety and security are things you have only if you work at it constantly. Good luck.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2003, 10:53:34 AM »

Years and years ago I had an apartment that was owned by a landlord who thought he could come in any time he wanted to let himself in.  After going to the police and  reporting it as an illegal forced entry and talking to the local prosecuter, that landlord never did it again, for awhile. The police let him know the law and almost threw the guy in jail.  The landlord didn't listen and later was arrested and did spent time in jail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: