Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Email scam ongoing  (Read 11567 times)
K1SMM

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2008, 05:40:00 AM »

I recently posted a receiver for sale and immediately received a very excited offer to buy and request to remove the ad (for $50).  This was written in "funny" english and after several emails, the guy finally exposed the scam by saying the check had been written for too much money and I was to cash it and send the overage to his mover, via Western Union.  This came from email address nyfido03@yahoo.com and a name of Tony Hill.  These will of course change.  Just please be aware the eham is being used by these creeps.

Jack
KD4AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 09:33:14 AM »

Yep, it sounds like a variation of the many scams out of Nigeria.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 07:15:41 PM »

hi,

good catch !

be sure to forward the email to abuse@yahoo.com

73 james
W4JVY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 05:47:38 AM »

The same thing happened to me also,
I had listed some Heathkit equipment
for sale. The e-mail said the same thing.
Even after I informed Him it was sold He said that
a check written on USA bank was on the way , I was
to cash it in my bank and send the money to his
shipper.
So seller beware!
Don.
W4JVY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 05:58:45 AM »

Today I received by UPS letter mail 2 (two)
checks one for $6200.00 and the other
for $5800.00. With instructions to cash
and send the difference to a address in Ca.
I took them to our local Police dept.
Seem like if your address goes out
it is used for these scams.
Don.
AE5EH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 12:19:31 PM »

Nobody wants to get burned. Make your choices carefully. We do make them for ourselves. Even if we let someone else make them, we still make the choice to let that happen.

The money you stand to lose is not always worth the risk taken by trying to be cheap.

Variations on some corny old sayings, but they still ring true.
KD4AC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 05:36:36 AM »

As a dispatcher and call taker for the Sheriff's Office here in Tampa, we get calls about this sort of thing.  I've had several people call me and say they got a check in the mail for a large sum of money, with instructions to cash the check, keep X amount for themselves and send the rest back to them.  That should be an automatic red flag right there that it's a scam, but some people are desperate enough they'll try anything.  What ends up happening sometimes is we get called by a bank or check cashing place because someone was foolish enough to believe the check was real and tried to cash it.  Most people know better and call us when they get the check or get an e-mail with the offer to buy something for more than the advertised price.  We tell them there isn't anything we can do...simply don't cash the check and don't ship the item.  If you haven't become a victim, then there hasn't been a crime.  Unfortunately, for each person that knows better, there's someone else who will fall for it.

Frankly, with the weak state of the dollar right now, they'd be better off targeting European countries that use the Euro.
5R8GQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 02:23:43 PM »

This scam has been run by me about 9 times,usually
when I try to sell a low dollar (under $200) item on a ham radio classified web site.

1) The English is terrible.
2) There is no callsign given.
3) The return e-mail is a free service like gmail.
4) They never ask any questions about the item for sale, like "Does the power cord come with it?".
5) They say that THEIR SHIPPER will pick it up.
6) They are in a big hurry. "PLEASE let me know AS SOON as you have wired the money!!".

I bit once for fun (of course I never sent them their money and they never sent a shipper for the item!).
The cashier's check they sent looks very, very real,
I can see why some people would get fooled.

But if it sounds too good to be true, IT IS!

Funny......ever since I called them on the scam it has never happened to me again. Too bad, I was hoping for a collection of fake cashier's checks for my shack!

K3JVB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 06:19:33 AM »

Yep these "maggots" are out there.

Now I keep getting emails from them. But it is not radio related.

I have won 5 million dollars 100 times do far.
They only need
Name
social sec no.
address

Not a bad deal for 5 million !
It is hard to believe that people fall for this . But I guess some do?
Maggots !
KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 08:05:43 AM »

These idiots are easy to catch.  Their use of English is "funny" as has been stated earlier.  They just don't say things the same way we do.  Occasionally, I string them along for a bit just to get them panting.  They must thing we are all idiots.  I wonder what their success rate is.
G8ITB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 03:25:11 PM »

Watch out for "Steve Canada"

I'm looking for a certain piece of Tokyo Hy-Power gear - and advertised for it.

So today I received an e-mail from a Steve Canada in Canada (?) [steve_canada@rediffmail.com] who also has a contact telephone number of +16024057349 - which I believe is in Arizona. The spelling and grammer of the e-mail is appalling. A quick search reveals the exact same message with a London, England telephone number trying to sell Harley Davidson items and calling himself/herself Angela Ruffino.

Looks as if K0BT and NM7L have also received the same e-mail as me (http://chat.qth.com/viewtopic.php?t=5690&highlight=&sid=5e73963bd4cfef1d1fb8ec1e75a2e2cd)

Be carefull chaps - they are still out there - don't get fleeced!

Richard Perzyna, G8ITB.

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 05:30:43 PM »

Just a couple more thing re the "cash my over-the-price check" scammers.

They always refer to what you are selling as "THE ITEM", because they are too lazy to type in "RS-232 Level converter box for a Kenwood TS-940S/AT".

When the "cashiers check" check does arrives (if you decide to spoof them), the "extra" funds are to be forwarded to a different address than the one they emailed you.....OR

They will often ask you to send the funds via Western Union, the bank of choice for scammers. They will often say that there is an emergency and their brother/mom/dad/sister is sick and neeeds the funds ASAP. They are ALWAYS in a hurry and need the item or extra funds RIGHT AWAY!

You can always do an IP search on the originating email(s). Copy and paste the fulll email header to "Who Is" or any of the IP Addy search engines.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: Many people do not understand that there is a BIG difference between a check being "CLEARED" and a check being PAID. A quality forged phony check can "clear" in a few days, found to be bogus weeks later, and never paid. YOU are still responsible for the funds.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 09:46:58 AM »

And one should not assume money orders are valid. I've had plenty of folks bring in money orders that looked pretty good but were forgeries. Apparently the crooks don't know all that much about them, either, since they often have sequential serial numbers. Real money orders do not issue in sequence.

And while most attempts are crude (and still fool many people), expect them to get better at it. Since their overhead is very low, I expect to see more modest amounts of money involved, better English composition, more believable email addresses, more scams coming from outside the infamous areas (Nigeria, London), more reasonable scenarios (fewer things like inquiring about an ATV to be shipped to Europe) and more specialization, actually knowing something about the sort of goods involved and how to better look real. You can hook a lot more people with $500 transactions with a $50 overage asked to be sent back than you can with $5,000 deals with $2,000 overages, and if you ship the goods, too, they have real stuff to offer someone else in a straight up fraud or just to resell in a straight deal.

KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »

I often respond and make up very vulgar names for me, my address, etc. I will cuss them up one side and down the other. I will call them all sorts of horrible names and see if they respond back with the very obvious fake name. If they do repond back I tell them that the person they contacted had died and I was trying to get all of his email stuff straight due to the business he is in. I then tell them that he committed suicide after being caught committing fraud over the internet. I make up some crap about sending them the Western Union funds and give a fake transaction number to see how many times they will bite.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: