Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RETURNED Stolen Gear! True Story!  (Read 12913 times)
KC8JRV

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2001, 10:04:18 PM »

It happened to me...while waiting outside a Sears store in a busy mall, I sat on a bench reading a newspaper...awaiting my wheels to be balanced and rotated. I took my ADI at-201 with me so it couldn't be stollen from in the car, and put it in my pocket...until I sat, when it was in the way...so I pulled it out and laid it next to me.  45 minutes later, car not yet done, I stood up and looked for a phone to call into work...tell them I'm running late.
10 minutes later I'm walking thru Sears, windowshopping the new FRS units when I feel for the HT in my pants pocket and remember it on the bench.... It's gone.  Mall security says a woman walked up to them and asked if someone had lost a walkie-talkie. They said no and let her go. No ID.
Local Hams reported 90 minutes later hearing a man key up the unit "Hello, Hello... " on the local repeater. No ID, No call.  A local pawn shop reported someone called to ask the value of an HT, but shop wasn't interested. No ID.  
A police report was filed, with a detailed list of what was programmed on which channels, etc. No leads.
I placed a freebee Lost and Found ad in the local Tradin' Times Bulletin Board swap rag.... and got a call four days later..."Hey is this your black walkie talkie left on the bench outside Sears?".... It was the delivery boy of the resturant/bar located  15 yards from the bench. The owner's wife had seen the unit, picked it up, put it under their cash register after keying the mike to see if anyone would answer or claim it. It had been there a week. They just happened to see the ad while looking for a lost dog and realized it was the radio they had found!
-True Story!
N1YRK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2001, 06:32:21 PM »

The appaling thing is that mall security did absolutely nothing to help. Typical useless "security" guard. They should have asked for the finders name & phone # in case someone reported it missing.
KC2IYH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2002, 06:21:39 PM »

cant expect much from a 'scaredy' guard.. would have been to much work for them...
KD7KGX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2002, 03:18:57 AM »

Your gear wasn't stolen... it was lost (by you) and returned (by the finder).

Just goes to show that there are a lot of honest people still in this country.

- jgc
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2002, 05:30:58 AM »

Let's get this story correctly categorized....
It is a LOST rig,not stolen and if the air head
operator had checked to see if it was in his pocket
when he changed locations it would not have been
lost. Besides....I don't believe the story anyway.
Too much detail, people really don't care about
details so they don't remember them.
73 - Tim
RFGADFLY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2002, 02:17:52 PM »

Wooo!  Why don't we just flame the $#%@ out of the guy.  While you are correct on technical points such as it "was" a "lost" radio, I don't know why it is necessary to flame him.  Guess we've all done things that in retrospect, weren't our brightest moments, such as leaving a piece of gear somewhere absent-mindedly.     As to the detail, some of us are detail oriented and like details.  Nothing wrong with a few details.   Others, I guess, don't hold much need for details. I reckon this explains a web site that mentions an upcoming hamfest in about a month with NO details but a number to call if you want them.  Mighta stirred a little more interest in ticket sales if folks knew what, if any, door prizes were being offered, whether you have to be present to win them or not, and that kinda stuff.    Hope your day gets better and you have a happy Holiday season.           RFG
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 09:15:18 PM »

To WA4PTZ:

I hope you have the good fortune to never have a piece of your gear "stolen" or lose a radio.  

It has happened to others before and will happen again.  I for one am glad the ham got his gear back.
KB3DLP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2003, 08:38:32 AM »

Completely off topic, but it's a sad day when we flame someone for a post rather then taking it as we wish to take it, true or not there are still some honest people in the world. The attention to detail part, some people can recall events to the smallest detail, the doesn't mean it isn't so. I work as an EMT, going through the police acadamy as we speak, and we're taught to pay close attention to the smallest detail, some learn it, some are born with it, some never have it, just the way it goes. Was this posting true? Who cares, even if it wasn't true, it was amusing and uplifting in the least and gives even a bit of hope to those that have had the same occurances. Just because someone leaves a radio on the bench and walks off is no reason to flame them, everyone forgets at one time or another. To the one flaming: Have you ever once in your life locked your keys in your car? Locked yourself out of your house? Same thing, you forgot. It happens to everyone, quit the flames, quit the bashing, take the story for what you see it as. I had gear stolen from my soft top jeep, people cut into it, rather then unzipping the rear window, an HT was stolen, and a kenwood dual band was stolen. Flame me because it was 3 years ago and I don't remember the models. Get over yourself. Ok, im done with my rant now, just had to vent.
Jeremy KB3DLP
AE6FI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2003, 07:31:53 PM »

Hi:  you are not alone....I did the same thing--put an expensive Lunasix lightmeter on the bench, outside the Dole Plant in Hawaii, while changing film.  I walked away, forgetting the light meter.  Came back later, & it was gone!  The cashier, inside, had it--I was lucky to get it back!  THERE ARE HONEST PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD!  AMEN
WA2JJH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2003, 07:45:01 PM »

yup, there are honest people out thier. When I was a young NOVICE, a friend and I found a wallet.

$800 in cash, credit cards, I.D. YEAH we were 16.
We knew we could buy a spanking new TS-820S. A very hot rig in the late 70's.

However decency prevailed. Turned it in to the police. The police told us that if the wallet was not claimed in 30 days, it was ours! Oh boy a TS-820 in 30 days we thought

The owner did get contacted. He was from Arizona, visiting NYC on business.

The owner gave us each $60. That was a lot of money for me, back then. The kind business man sent us both a letter. He said any time your in Arizona..you got a place to stay. His Brother in law was a HAM!

I do believe in KARMA. Have just seen it work too many times!

Few years ago, I lost my wallet in a bar. It was returned!

I find homeless people in the street selling things they find. One time I found a housing police HT-1000.
I dropped it in the mail. I did not want to return it in person. How do you explain you bought it from a crackhead for $20!
N2ERN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2003, 01:47:00 PM »

I stick one of those name and address labels that show up regularly in my mail, on anything I might drop.

On HTs, on the battery pack. On my cell phone's battery pack. Inside my glasses cases.

I got my bifocals back in the mail that way -- they had fallen out of my breast pocked when i was loading the car one day.

That works for lost, not stolen stuff, but it DOES work when an honest person finds somthing.
N4PGW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2004, 07:23:14 PM »

Not related to the stolen gear story, but to the lost property anyway.

I took a friend of mine to a restaraunt I frequent often.  Had to go to the bathroom and there on the floor by the toilet is a wallet.  In the wallet was about $80 in cash and my dad's driver's license.  Needless to say, he was pleased to come home and find his wallet on his bed, but until I told him the story, he couldn't for the life of him, figure out how he paid for dinner and left his wallet at home.  

Buck
NA4FM
KC8JRV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 11:45:32 AM »

Well, it's been 5 years since I posted this true story...
And what a lot of repsonses!
True, it was more a LOST rig than stolen....
And, yes Tim, I STILL remember the details cause it was my first HT, and represented a SIZEABLE investment for a young ham entering the field. I had turned Heaven and Earth to find that HT again... and I'm glad I did.
When I DID find it, the explanation by the resturant's manager dove-tailed perfectly with everything that I had learned from other HAMs that were monitoring the local repeater and had heard the attempt to contact someone.

So, sorry if it sounded fake to you.
It meant EVERYTHING to me, especially to get it back! I had had one meal a month at that resturant ever since, if only to help reward and payback the owners for their keeping it safe.  

Now, 5 years later, the battery pack of NiCads has died, and I'm having trouble finding a replacement for my beloved ADI AT-201.  Any suggestions, please let me know.  I'd like to keep this ol workhorse in service after forgetting about it for a year at a time...until our club's annual community service project rolls around each Spring!
KC8JRV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 02:08:39 PM »

I have taken N2ERN's suggestion to use return address label stickers on things, and now on rides on every battery pack, HT, FRS radio and eyeglass case in the house.

A very simple and easy solution.

UPDATE: It's now been about 8 years since I left my HT on that bench, and the resturant moved locations about three years ago. After a few years, the owner passed away, and the staff and family decided to let it go.

How sad I am that they closed the place, but what a wonderful memory I have of them.

I guess all things must pass...
KF8ZR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 10:25:11 PM »

It actually was never stolen. You could post the story in a "lost gear" forum possibly. But it does happen to other folks too.
Nobody stole it though
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: