Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Phyllistran Ends  (Read 3125 times)
W4AN
Administrator

« on: April 19, 2000, 04:28:08 PM »

I have a bunch of the old type phyllistran and some ends that have been cut off.  I'm wondering how to remove the potting compound from the ends without damaging the ends.  I don't think burning it out is a good idea because I believe they are made of aluminum.  Or at least some of the ones I have are aluminum.  Plus I'm not sure I'm wild about the fumes that would be produced.  

Thanks

Bill, W4AN
N5NJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2000, 06:24:14 PM »

I agree that burning it would not be the best thing to do.  I think you need to drill out the opening that's roghly the diameter of the phylli itself in a drill press and then work at it from the other side with pregressively larger drill bits and perhaps do some picking with some sharp tools to clean the fitting out.  I put the ends on my phylli a long time ago and have no plans to cut or change them.  That epoxy-like stuff is nasty.  Be careful with the drilled out scrap as it'll be real sharp on the edges.
W4AN
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2000, 05:03:38 AM »

Thanks for the information Bob.  I don't have a drill press and gee that sounds like a lot of work!  Smiley  

I'm wondering if there isn't some kind of acid that would work on the hardened compound and not on the aluminum ends?

Bill
KD5ILF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2000, 03:01:16 PM »

You might find some solvent that will attack the epoxy but I would think any acid that would attack the epoxy would eat the aluminum also.  You might try sealing one in a metal paint bucket with some lacquer thinner for a while.  You could ask the supplier of the epoxy what will kill it.  They may already have this problem solved for you.  73
KB9VZS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2000, 07:47:18 PM »

Hello Bill

I have no personal experiance with phillystran-however if
the epoxy used is anything like that used in securing the
shaft to a golf club head (I have built and repaired a
few clubs) then a heat gun can be used to soften the
epoxy and the end can be removed-if I remember correctly
a gun that puts out around 300-500 degrees should be sufficient to break the bond. At that temp you should not
do any damage to the aluminum.

Good luck.
Kent E Berglund
KB9VZS/AG

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: