Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for rotatable mast guy rings?  (Read 1469 times)
K1YZ

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2001, 02:08:27 PM »

I have used aluminum tubing to build pushup masting for small yagis with good results. The key is guying the masting once the sections are extended. Another key is to locate the rotor at the bottom of the mast to reduce the weight at the top. This however creates the need to have guy rings that will secure the mast but also allow it to turn freely. The mast diameter varies from 1.5 to 2.0" OD, so the RS ring is too small.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy or how to manufacture these rings? A piece of sheet metal drilled to the OD of the mast is too difficult to make without a good drill press or punch. I've also tried PVC couplers with ring eyelets, but it's not a very elegant solution. Any hints appreciated.

Steve
K1YZ
N4ZFQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2001, 01:09:07 PM »

Steve, This may sound funny but you may consider changing your mast diameter to match whatever hardware you can find to solve your problem. I mean, find the hardware you need, whether you need to homebrew it or purchase, then get new mast to match the hardware. Try an industrial bearing supplier. You may find something here in the form of a light duty thrust bearing that can be modified for your use. 73.......Colin   N4ZFQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: