Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a99 40 meter conversion  (Read 974 times)
W8FIK

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2001, 09:58:19 PM »

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how i can modify my a99 so that it will work acceptably on 40 meters

there must be a way

i live in a mobile home park and i cant put up much else

thanx

tom
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2001, 11:52:54 AM »

Here's something that I tried with an A99, once, and it seemed to work pretty well:

Use an antenna tuner (outboard, not the kind built into most of the modern radios) having a "single wire" post connection.  Use a clip lead (or whatever's handy) to short out the PL-259 at the bottom of your A99 coaxial feedline (by jumping the outer shell of the connector to the center pin), and then clip that connection to the "single wire" antenna post.

Now, you're tuning up the feedline (coax) as well as the A99, all at the same time, and it will all radiate.  How effectively this works depends on how long the coax is, how high the A99 is, and how good an earth ground you can attach to the antenna tuner.  In a trailer, a good earth ground should not be difficult to achieve, since you're fairly close to ground, anyway.  If you have at least 30 feet of coax feeding the A99, this setup will work quite well on 40.

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2001, 11:54:06 PM »

If you don't have the A99 yet, check into the 8101B antenna from the same company. I am told it works on 40 and 80  but better on 20, 15 and 10. A dealer has told me the antenna has some problems lately, so check with a dealer first. Look at this site for more info: http://anttron.tripod.com  As an alternative, look into a 5BTV vertical. I have been using one of those for over twenty years. The SAME one!
Frank
KL7IPV
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2001, 01:02:15 AM »

It isn't designed for the frequency but their 8101B is. look at : http://anttron.tripod.com
Frank
KL7IPV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: