Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: best antenna set up  (Read 500 times)
KD5QFK

Ignore
« on: November 14, 2001, 12:43:31 PM »

hello all i just got my license a fewdays ago and i bought a 2 meter radio for my truck still waiting for it to come in, my question is i am going to buy a 2 meter radio for my home and i was wondering what would be the best antenna i have been looking at a 4 element yagi on e-bay for 50.00 seems like a good deal i know i will have to get a rotor also i will be using 100 watt radio any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
thanks
kd5qfk
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2001, 02:15:27 PM »

Depends upon what radio you get, and what you want to do with it.  Unfortunately, FM work all uses vertical polarization, and SSB work all uses horizontal polarization, and there are great losses when using a beam having the wrong polarization for the mode.

Having been on two meters for over 37 years, and on all modes, if you're getting an "all mode" two meter rig that works both FM and SSB, I'd recommend a good vertically polarized omnidirectional (gain) antenna installed above a good horizontally polarized beam antenna, on the same mast.  A rotor can turn the mast, and both will rotate, but the vertical antenna will have no directivity, which is ideal for working mobiles (constantly turning a beam to keep up with a mobile driving around is a real pain, and wears out rotors quickly).

For a good "starter" setup, I'd recommend a couple of my personal light-weight but high-performance favorites: The Diamond F23 ominidirectional vertical (only weighs about 4 lbs, but works extremely well), and the M-squared 2M9SSB horizontal beam antenna (9 elements on a 14-1/2' long boom, great gain, great match, excellent antenna but only weighs about 5-6 lbs).  Both can be installed on a single 5' mast atop any medium-duty rotator, and their performance will amaze you.

I wouldn't go shopping for two meter beams on eBay.

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6
KD5QFK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2001, 02:35:24 PM »

the radio is only a 2 meter rig its a kenwood tm261a and i will probably only use fm for now
KD5QFK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2001, 04:21:16 PM »

i have made up my mind i am goin to go with the diamond f23 i think that will be the best way togo thanks for the help
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: