About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G5RV  (Read 1188 times)
VE4HST

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2001, 06:19:54 PM »

Does anyone have experience with the G5RV wire HF antenna?  How would you compare this with a vertical like the Butternut HF6V ot Gap Titon?  I plan to use the G5RV with the internal tuner in a new Icom 746.
Thanks for your opinon.

VE4HST
Harry
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2001, 07:01:15 PM »

Harry, I have to admire your persistence!

The G5RV is a 102' center-fed doublet that's fed with 31' of twin-lead which is spliced to 50 Ohm coax.  It's a resonant antenna on 20m, and works reasonably well on 40m, but can present a rather considerable mismatch, with reactance swinging both negative and positive depending upon the frequency, elsewhere.

This antenna is recommended for use with an _external_ antenna tuner having greater matching range than the internal ATU in the IC-746.

Personally, I've used G5RV's many times, and for working DX, they are not comparable to a good vertical.  It's a fun antenna for making local ragchews on 40 & 80, however!

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6
KB9UMT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2001, 05:29:28 PM »

Hello:

I have to of course always agree with what Steve says but I do have something to add.

I have used a G5RV for years and it is my standby antenna and I use it mainly for 40 and 80 meters.  It is a cloud burner for sure at my low heights (30 ft) that I have it at here in town but it does a good job for local chats on 40 and 80 as Steve says. I also have a Icom 746 and I do not have to use the external tuner with the G5RV, the tuner inside the 746 seems to tune it on all bands just fine.

I do not have a Gap, Butternut or Hustler vertical but I have friends in town that do and they all do a fine job.  The only thing I can say about them is they are weak on 80 meters and narrow on 40 and 80 both for band width.  

I do have a couple of thoughts on what you could try though.  I have had an old CB antenna called a A99 or Antron 99 for years also and it is a cheap $39 fix for the higher bands (10,12,15,17..weak on 20) and then the G5RV could be used for the lower bands (20,40,and 80).  My A99 makes my G5RV look bad on 10 and 12 and then on 15 and 17 it starts to get more even and then on 20 the G5RV is better for sure.  I say this because I think my A99 stays up with those $200 and $300 dollar verticals on 10,12,15 and 17.  So since you will need a 30 foot support or so for your wire (G5RV or the like) then put a 39 dollar fix on top of it...it may surprise you.  Copper has the cheapest price for these.

http://www.copper.com

http://www.copper.com/cgi-bin/checkitout/checkitout.cgi?catalogSTORE:CKIE:prodA65-00002+

I think you are just looking for some suggestions and thoughts so here is another one.  If I was going to spend $200, $300 or more for a vertical antenna (and again they are good too), I think I would invest my money in a mini-beam.  There are a few on the market like the Cushcraft MA5B or the MQ-2 TGM (these are small beams with little area needed).  I think for $250 the CC MA5B would be hard to beat and they work well.  

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/340

Of course only a small TV rotor is needed and one could even use a small tower or pipe for support and again use the wire for low bands.  My experience with verticals (good for DX no doubt) is that in town here they are noisy and the horizontal position of the beam or wire has a quite receive.  You also can null noise and QRM out with the mini-beam.

Ok that is my 2 cents....Good Luck and hope to hear you on the bands.

73 de KB9UMT Don  Peoria IL
emails welcome   KB9UMT@ARRL.NET  OR DHOBSON123@AOL.COM

KF4ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2001, 02:45:02 PM »

Here's a thought.Instead of going with the G5RV, go with a "zepp". If you build it for 20m it is comparable in size to the G5RV (130ft.). The main difference is the lack of coax as a feedline. It is fed
with ladder line.( if your rig doesn't have binding posts, try attaching one side to the outside of the coax connector and the other in the center of it on the rig). This antenna will require a tuner-internal should be ok- and will work 10m-80m. I used one for several years. It replaced a 80m coax fed dipole and blew it away.
73 de Matt, KF4ZGZ

The best antenna is one you built yourself!
W6SZG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2001, 03:19:57 PM »

I am no expert, but when I got active again about 2 months ago I put up a 102' G5RV.  It is about 30 feet up and straight over sandy soil with no structures underneath.  The feed line comes down about 20 feet, but 10 feet or so of the ladder line is horizontal and almost parallel to the antenna about ten feet off the ground.  Then 70' of RG-8X leads to the house/shack.  The far end is supported by a 35' tall (joined 20' + 15' sections) of guyed 1.0" galvanized pipe and the near end it attached to the upper part of my 3 story home by six feet of rope.  No center support.   It loads with less than 1.3:1 (mostly perfect 1:1) on all segments of 40-10 (including WARC) with the ATU in my FT-990.  It loads just as well with my "back-up" TS-520es using a MJF 949E external tuner.  I have been  thrilled with the results I have gotten.  DX all over the world on 20-10 meters (CW and SSB).  It has even busted some pile-ups.  Maybe my location is a part of it.  I am out in the country with an open slopping pasture that has unobstructed 300 degree visability.  The grade slopes up higher than the antenna and my two story home is to the NE but I still make easy across the pole DX contacts into Eastern Europe.  
KF9VH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2001, 04:36:47 PM »

I went from a butternut vertical to the g5rv and have not looked back. I wish I would have made the change a long time ago. For $50 you can't go wrong.

I have worked as much dx on 20 and 17 meters with the g5rv as I had with the vertical.

It does not take a mental giant to figure out that 102 feet of wire is going to to better than 20+ feet vertical.
N0WE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2001, 01:54:38 PM »

Used a G5RV for field day this year. Worked great! My FT-900's auto tuner had no problems tuning the antenna.

73 Jim
K7TNS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2001, 11:49:43 PM »

I run a 746 w/ ext. tuner, MFJ 949, into my G5RV with good success. Only up abt 35 ft in an inverted V format, but lets me band hop w/ ease, and gets out fine!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: