Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stainless steel tower  (Read 539 times)
KB1AAH

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2001, 03:30:32 PM »

I just aquired a 110' tower that I am 99.9% sure is made of stainless steel. The material is 3" angle stock for the entire structure. The welds were definately done with a stick welder which leads me to the stainless conclusion. The tower had been up for 12 years prior to me taking it down. There is absolutely no corrosion anywhere on the structure, not even at the welds. I first thought it was aluminum but when the first section was lowered down it was clear by the weight of the section that it was not aluminum. The tower is not even dull like aluminum would be after years of weather. The tower is square in design. It is 31" on a side at the base and tapers down to approx 15" on a side at the top. Each section is 6' in length. There are 19 sections total including the top. I have no specs or any idea who built it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Julian Homan
KB1AAH@HOTMAIL.COM
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2001, 12:02:16 AM »

Julian -

The dimensions that you collected and construction are a great first step in identifying (is appears that this is a self supporting tower, no guys).

Most towers that are not aluminum are hot dipped galvinized - with turns a dull gray with age.

Rohn Industries, Triex, Universal Tower, Glen Martin, U.S. Tower, Heights Tower.

Start with these web links:

http://www.qsl.net/k6ls/tower.html

http://www.glenmartin.com/towerbuying.html
KB1AAH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2001, 11:31:36 AM »

The tower is now confirmed to be stainless. This past saturday, I completed taking down the tower. I brought one section to a friend who is a machinist. He told me that it is in fact stainless. The material is 1/8" thick by 2" angle. He estimated that it would cost approximately $20'000 just in material to build such a tower today.
I sure would like to know who built the tower and specs on it. Unfortunately there is always the possibility that someone had access to the material and made it themselves or had it custom made. If this is the case I may have to have an engineer look at it to make some specs. Any advice?

Julian Homan

KB1AAH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: