Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting RadShack rotor in Rohn 25?  (Read 502 times)
W9WI

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2001, 06:40:22 PM »

I have a need to mount a Radio Shack rotor (the little bitty off-yellow thing) in a Rohn 25 top section.  (it's only got to handle a small UHF-TV antenna and only 20'/6m high)  If you haven't seen one, it's designed to mount between two sections of a standard mast - not on a rotor plate.

Has anyone done this, or have any ideas on how to do it?
K6RAS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2001, 10:30:34 PM »

Unfamiliar with the "little bitty yellow thing" but I have mounted R/S rotors to the top of my Rohn tower by simply clamping the rotor to the top of the tappered tower section and running a short length of mast up from the rotor onto which I attached the antenna.  Never bothered trying to mount those little rotors inside the tower structure.  Didn't seem to me to be worth the trouble.  Good luck on your project.  
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2001, 02:28:26 PM »

Many folks are using R-25's not having the tapered top section...I know that I never use the tapered top section, because it won't accept the Rohn thrust bearing.  If you have the "flat top" section, and not the tapered top, just clamp the R/S rotor bottom section to one of the tower legs, right below the top plate.  It will clamp down on the leg diameter -- I've tried it.

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6
N4ZFQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2001, 02:31:42 PM »

This is a simple task. Rohn offers a mount that clamps to the tower leg. It is shaped like the letter "I". It has angle iron at one end and 1 1/4 pipe at the other with a short peice of pipe in between. You clamp the ount to the tower leg with hose claps or U-bolts. The rotor clamps to the pipe. once all of this is assembled, insert the mast down through the tower into the rotor top and center everything. Once centered, tighten all hardware and your finished.
 I have used this mount many times and it works well. I don't know how much they cost because I have made all of the ones I have installed. Mounting the rotor to the top of the mast tube is not recommended due to stress issues on these light duty rotors.

Colin    N4ZFQ
Ft. Defiance Va.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: