Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ordering directly from MFJ?  (Read 735 times)
NI0C

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2006, 06:32:33 PM »

I wish I hadn't.  

On Sunday, March 12, I placed an order over the web.  By Wednesday, March 15, I hadn't heard anything, so i placed a call to MFJ.  I was told that my order was still "in data processing, being turned into a 'real' order," but would be shipped soon. The next day, I sent an e-mail, stating that I thought I had placed a "real" order, and requesting a ship date.  I received the following curt reply: "You have been charged this morning and will ship out this afternoon."  That was Thursday, March 16. I followed up with a phone call today, and was told the order was shipped by mail yesterday (March 20).  No apologies or explanations were offered at any point.  

If I ever purchase any more MFJ products, it will be either at a hamfest or from a dealer, such as AES. No more direct orders from MFJ for me.      
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 03:28:39 PM »

hi

You're not the only one that has posted about MFJ
having poor customer service at the order dept.

I agree, AES or http://www.wb0w.com  is best to order
from.

73 james
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 06:38:58 AM »

Their poor customer service is only surpassed by the poor quality of their products. I am happy to say that I do not have ANY MFJ equipment in my shack any longer. I am MFJ, Ameritron, Vectronics, Mirage, Hygain FREE!!!. Don't let them fool you. They are all the same company under different names. Look at their addresses. Their so called 3KW tuner almost cost me an Alpha amp.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 02:31:40 PM »

Judging from the reviews here on eham, antenna tuners do not appear to be MFJ's strong suit.  

My original complaint that started this thread had to do with direct orders from their factory.  Apparently, they are not used to processing direct orders.  I did receive the antenna switch that I ordered, and am satisfied with it.  

I'm also satisfied with my Ameritron AL-80B amplifier, and am thrilled with the MFJ DSP audio filter, which I've used for several years.

I also appreciate the availability of the MFJ manuals for free download from their web-site. With such material available, it is easy to read all the precautions and fine print that don't tend to show up in the sales brochures and catalogs.  

Chuck  NI0C
N9IJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 02:46:45 AM »

Wait until you return something for warranty repair! I ordered a screwdriver controller that was back-ordered for several weeks. When it failed a week after arrival I spoke to their service folks and was told to return it and it would be turned around quickly. I waited several weeks, then was told it would be repaired the next week. Waited two weeks and was told it would be next.

Essentially I've owned it since January 1 and they had it most of that time. I've gotten used to the $5 switch and may never reinstall the controller.
KB9MQL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 10:58:54 PM »

dont bother wasting your time (lots of it) or money!

I think all amateurs should urge the distributors to drop mfj/mirage/vectronics/ect. line until quality service and product turn around time either improve or they go under, tried to order an amplifier they keep giving excuses to HRO that they are waiting on parts to build it. (64 days) this IS BS they advertise a product they should have some inventory they just wait until they get enough orders before they produce any of there mutha f@#$%&*' Junk I'm done with them
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 10:27:38 PM »

Funny, I have never had a bad MFJ product and, I have always ordered direct from the factory with no problems WHATSOEVER!

Y'all must have bad JuJu!

Dennis KG4RUL
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 02:41:52 PM »

As whole, hams are cheap.  MFJ is one of the few companies that have survived selling cheap stuff to cheap hams.  Like anything else, you get what you pay for:  service, quality, etc.  

I try to minimize the stuff in my shack that came from MFJ-ville;  my Hy-Gain gear is all pre-MFJ.  I do have a tuner and a memory keyer that have worked pretty well.  Although, the memory keyer was missing an important component right out of the box.  That was the last straw for MFJ for me.
KC5HMC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 11:21:56 AM »

I ordered a MFJ-929 auto tuner and like the last order it was back ordered for two to four weeks. I ordered direct from them only after trying to find it elsewhere. It seems that everytime I order form them my order is back ordered. I guess if I have done without it this long I can wait a few weeks more.
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 08:23:16 AM »

Two observations:

1) Ordering from MFJ directly is a bad option since their first priority is supporting their dealers.  The price is usually better thru a dealer and so is the delivery.

2) Never order anything from MFJ that you do not intend to fix or modify out of the box.  Consider MFJ products to be partial kits.  I bought an Ameritron tuner that had no bushing and a bad shaft coupler on the antenna switch.  The shaft on the switch came out in my hand the first time I used it.  But I expected that sort of thing and simply went on line and found a bushing and shaft coupler at ocean state electronics.  I ordered them and reworked the MFJ tuner and now I am very happy with it.

I knew I was ordering "Mighty Fine Junk" when I bought the tuner and I expected to have to repair it myself.  God knows how long it would have taken for MFJ to fix the problem and what shipping that huge tuner would have costed.
N9IJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 02:31:38 AM »

I had a similar experience with them and, more recently, waited six weeks for an item that had been advertised for two months but was not on any dealer's shelf.

It lived two weeks and had to be returned for warranty repair. That took six weeks though I had been promised they would expedite. When I called at four weeks they had not touched it.

I have had some good experiences with their products, to be fair, but I'm not likely to select them over anyone else again.
KG4NOZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 07:31:03 PM »

I too got screwed.  Wish I had read the posts here first but I never dreamed that a well known company such as this could be so bad.  DO NOT EVER ORDER DIRECTLY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Placed web order and it took a few days before my credit card was charged.

Never received any shipping or tracking information (they don't do it, don't know how?).

They shipped a partial order but never informed me even though their order confirmation says "If we have any problems with your order, we will email you back with the problem".

I canceled the order and returned any received items unopened.

Have I been spoiled by HRO and everybody else in the world with same day procesing, tracking information by evening and calls if there are any problems (AKA Customer Service)?

KE6PID

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 07:41:59 AM »

If they say they have it in stock you get it fast.  Always ask if the product is in stock before you order, if the items is not you'll wait.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: