Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cushcraft Antenna  (Read 607 times)
WA3GDK

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2001, 09:22:37 AM »

I am interested in the new Cushcraft antenna (model MA5B). Has anyone used this antenna or heard any results on the performance? Thanks in advance for your comments.  73  Tom  WA3GDK
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2001, 11:38:50 AM »

There are 16 personal reviews of this antenna at:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/340

I read them and they mostly sound like they're from hams who never had another HF beam so couldn't make realistic "comparisons," but most are favorable.

Good luck!

Steve WB2WIK/6
K6RAS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2001, 11:06:51 PM »

Yep, Steve hit the bull's eye once again.  The MA5B is my first "beam"  -  I love it.  Can't give you any comparitive data; I've been a vertical and dipole Ham for my entire life prior to the MA5B.  I like it because it "hears" the signals I'm looking for, is light weight (so it's easy to put up and take down when necessary and I can do it without help) and it's made of quality materials and is easy to tune  -  well, the MFJ-259B gets some credit there.  I bought mine used and wouldn't let go of it under any circumstances.
WB2AFB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2001, 03:59:04 PM »

I, too, just purchased the MA5B and I am very satisfied with the results.

It took me about three hours to assemble, but had one major snag. While  inserting a trap into an aluminum tube, the trap could go no further nor could it be taken out or adjusted to length.

The first day, I staged the antenna at 4 feet off the ground and worked Slovenia. It is still in its temporary staging area but now at 15 feet ( as I continue to make fine adjustments) and the difference it tremendous. I am able to work clear across the country off the back of the beam while aimed at Europe, with great RST reports.

It tunes up perfectly when used in conjunction with an MFJ949 Tuner.

It has a relatively small footprint and is light enough (26 pounds) to use with a Radio Shack Rotator.

For the price, $269, it can't be beat.
AA5TB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2002, 06:12:35 PM »

"I am able to work clear across the country off the back of the beam while aimed at Europe, with great RST reports."

This is usually a bad thing with directional antennas ;-) But as long as you're having fun!

Steve - AA5TB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: