Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna Suggestions, Please  (Read 468 times)
NG1J

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2002, 09:16:11 AM »

After a 9 year absence, I'm ready to fire up my FT-107 & get back to Dx'ing and contesting.  BUT I've yet to find an antenna that's not only going to play pretty well, but also keep my XYL happy ("you're going to put up a what?").

It looks like a vertical is out of the question... too many kids in the neighborhood... and I think I can forget about my old TA-32 (see above).  

So, I think I'm resigned to putting up a wire.  I've seen the reviews on Antennas & More's "Half Square Windom" and am considering this antenna.  But does anyone have any comments on this type of antenna or even suggestions of alternatives?  Something that'll keep my contesting and Dx'ing "jones" happy.

Thanks--
Frank
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2002, 09:51:22 AM »

Hi Frank, welcome back!

Contesting and unobtrusive antennas don't mix well, as I'm sure you know; however, all sorts of fun can be had using stealthy antennas, or at least ones that the kids & dog won't get tangled up in.

The Windom HSQ is an 80m Windom (OCF dipole) that is deployed half horizontally and half vertically, by letting 33' of each end "drop" towards the ground.  Obviously, then, it must be installed more than 33' above the ground, or that would be impossible.  As such, it's surely not "magic," and depends heavily on being reasonably well elevated to work.

By design, the Windom HSQ models (EZNEC) as more omnidirectional than a conventional horizontal doublet.  That's not bad, since it would be impossible to rotate one!  Because of its off-center feedpoint, its impedance doesn't go too crazy in any of the ham bands, and the manufacturer claims a reasonably low (2:1) VSWR in all the HF ham bands 3.5 MHz and above.  Whether that's actually achievable or not will depend on the installation, how high you can install it, and what's near it.

I'd certainly give it a try, and would probably like it on 80m and 40m; however, for my money, on the bands above 40m (30-20-17-15-12-10), I'd go for a good vertical installed on the roof, using either wire radials (they can be deployed in a nearly invisible manner if you try) or one of the "ground independent" vertical designs like the GAP Eagle or (better still) Titan.  It's hard to beat a well-engineered vertical installation for "most DX for least space occupied" on the HF bands.

WB2WIK/6

K3MOV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2002, 10:55:04 AM »

Frank, take a look at the Force 12 site for incredibly stealthy antennas for 20 thru 10 at a reasonable price.
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2002, 01:31:46 PM »

I am sure you will want to look at lots of designs and study your options before you deside what solution to go with. Here are some ideas for stealthy HF wires:
http://home.teleport.com/~nb6z/nb6zep.htm
Here is a good site with some proven designs along with some theory:
http://www.cebik.com/radio.html
You got about 3 months of good weather, so get something up soon! ;-)
AB1AW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2002, 04:29:00 AM »

You might want to consider a Bilal Isotron. My XYL was dead set against me installing any sort of 40m or 80m wire antenna, but she had no problem with an 80m Isotron bolted to our deck (it's the size an shape of a bird-feeder). I've had good luck with it so far. It might not get you great contesting results, but it does get out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: