Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CQ CQ G5RV users. Height/directivity ??'s  (Read 432 times)
KC9BQA

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2002, 09:08:47 AM »

I'm new here and I also posted this question in the Elmers forum.  If posting twice is a no-no, I apologize.

I am a new tech who has been a SWL/ham monitor for over 20 years.  I may very well want to upgrade to a general over the winter.

In the meantime, I have decided to put a G5RV wire antenna up in the tall trees that surround my place.  The G5RV that AES sells is the 102' type for 80-10M, with the 30' tail of ladder line.

The guy who's going to help me will get the antenna up about 40-45'.  From what I've read about G5RV's here at eham.net, it seems that their performance is improved when they're higher.  Since my primary listening interest is DX, I know higher would help.

I have a few questions...

1)  Since the G5RV is a dipole, it has at least some directivity.  I understand the directivity is stronger the higher the antenna is installed.  Is it worth it to install 2 G5RV's, at 90 degree angles to each other?  I have enough tree options that I could do this.  I could switch between the two antennas at the radio and (in theory, at least) peak and null certain signals.

2)  At what height would the G5RV's need to be installed to "see" enough directivity to make installing two worthwhile?  It's possible that if I persuaded the tree/antenna guy nicely, the antennas could be installed closer to 55-65'.  Is the extra 10-20' of elevation going to make much of a difference?

3)  If I did decide to hoist two at 90 degree angles to each other, how far apart would they have to be (vertically and/or horizontally) to not interact negatively?  The antennas would basically be in a "X" pattern.

Asking question 3 just got me wondering... (always wondering, hihi) is there any way to phase and/or array 2 G5RV's so that they would perform better than 1?  Would installing two in the same direction but at different heights help any?  Or some other configuration?

As you can see, I'm really trying to optimize things here.  I realize the G5RV is no beam.  I may be trying too hard here.  It wouldn't be the first time. Smiley

Basically, I'm just trying to find out how to get a little bit of an extra edge from a simple antenna.  If what I'm trying to do isn't really going to give any extra performance, please say so.  I don't want to just have antennas up in the trees for no good reason.

Thanks for your time and responses,
    Todd
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: