Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF Antennas for High Wind?  (Read 1156 times)
N7HVH

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2001, 09:46:26 AM »

I am looking for a vertical or a good wire antenna that will survive constant high winds.  I tried a Butternut HF9V which lasted about 10 days before the repairs started. We have winds probably 22 hrs a day at 15 to 80 mph.  I would like to stay with a vertical multi-band or somthing that will hold up to the punishment from the wind. any suggestions will be helpfull.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2001, 10:44:58 AM »

Granted, the Butternut has more things to go wrong than some verticals; however, did you try guying it?

I'd recommend a slim profile HF vertical which either has well distributed weight and wind loading, or most of its weight and loading near its base, and then using one or two sets of non-conductive guys to support it.  I had a GAP Challenger with one set of Dacron rope guys attached right at its midpoint and well anchored to four guy stakes spaced about 25' away from the antenna base.  It survived all kinds of horrendous winds for many years.  However, the birds started eating the insulation off the interconnecting wires, thus causing the need for service.  At least the wind didn't eat it.

Good (excellent) guy material: 3/32" double-braided Dacron rope from Synthetic Textiles.  Light, strong, durable, very UV-resistant.

73 de Steve, WB2WIK/6
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2001, 12:28:14 PM »

You may want to try a straight whip with an auto tuner at the
base.  A length of about 20' should work up to 10m (though it will
need a good ground system.)  Perhaps a piece of 4" diameter
irrigation pipe for the vertical section, well guyed.
KF4HEY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2001, 11:12:41 AM »

Hi Greg,

I live on the Gulf Coast and have experienced many tropical storms and hurricanes.  I use dipole systems and currently have a G5RV up about 50 ft. between pine trees.  I use a counter weight system to suspend the wire from one end with the other end secured to a tree with dacron line/plastic coated cable in the tree.  I use a suspension design described in several issues of the ARRL antenna book.  I have better description of my arrangement further down this forum under the topic: Wire Antennas in Trees.  My wire antennas have survived several Category 1 and 2 hurricanes with only damage to the suspension rope which tends to fray through the pulley when the counterweight moves up/down rapidly as the support trees sway in the wind.

The trick in using ladder line is to put a few twists in the line going up to the antenna.  This minimizes the wind load and causes equal pressure all around on the line regardless of the wind direction.

73 and Merry Christmas,
Mike KF4HEY
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2001, 09:28:20 PM »

I live on a windy site with average wind speeds of 14 mph- Summers are mild. In the Fall, Winter & Spring, many days and nights are 25-45 mph. These winds  permanently 'deforms' the trees on my property. 60-70 mph is at least once or twice a month event for 10-20 hours or longer. Ice loading in the winter with high winds are a grueling event as well. The Mosley TA-33jrWARC is a compact beam that will defy the elements year after year. The maximum wind was over a 100 mph. I lost a guy wire on my roof mounted tower, yet the beam was unharmed. Thankfully the roof mount tower did not fail (four guy wires, not three were installed). The dipole and loop antennas are #14 copper-weld and survival with ice has been perfect as well!
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2002, 05:33:22 PM »

I live in the Fairfield area in northern Calif. and we have constant winds here also,(next to Travis Air Force Base) Our normal wind is 20 mph , but 100 mph is not unusual in the winter storms.

I have a Hustler 5 band vert (5BTV) antenna up , ground mounted as per the manual. I have a 4 foot post pounded 2 1/2 foot in the ground and the antenna mounts on the top footof post leaving 6 inches of ground clearance. You can put up and take down the antenna by yourself with this setup for tuning.

I have a set of nylon rope guys (3/16 white nylon utility cord) up above the capacitance hat (around the 20 foot level) for my own peace of mind. It has stood up to 90 mph winds with out the guys, but all that moving makes me nervous so I put 3 guys on it loosely at that level. There is a "star" of heavy radials there and it keeps the rope from sliding down. I have them with a bit of slack so the antenna can move around several inches but not more than that. It works well for me.

The antenna is $159 at Ham Radio Outlet(10-80) and they have a 6 band for $189( adds 30)  and a 4 band for $139 (10-40) so they are all quite reasonable.  You can roof mount them, pole mount them (both require minimum 4 radials )or ground mount them.  I chose the ground mount. I have made several thousand contacts on it and usually ge 55 to 57 bare foot and 57 to 59 plus when running my 500 watt linear.  They take legal limit and I run mine through a tuner when I am working "off " band. You can usually figure out a way with the roof and pole mounts to use the radials as Guy wires....

I put out 40 and 80 meter radials for a while but noticed no difference so I pulled them back up. Now I can mow the grass.  We have that old blue clay for soil here if that makes a difference.  I don't water much in the summer so its like cement most of the warm months.

I have used this as one of my main antennas for a little over a year now and am more than satisfied with it as an antenna and mechanically also.

73  tom N6AJR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: