Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Begali - Are they ALWAYS this slow?  (Read 3537 times)
VE6EIJOEL

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2007, 09:35:49 PM »

Hi folks,

I ordered a Begali Simplex paddle on March 25th, and paid on the spot via PayPal. I received a note from them the next day, telling me they'd be shipping it "on about at the second week of April because we are going to assemble them on next days."

A couple of weeks later I wrote them back to see how they were progressing, but got no reply. Now here it is May 2nd and still nothing from them. I just sent another email asking what's the hold-up, and how much longer before they ship.

Has anyone else had such slow service from these folks? I know that everyone who has a Begali loves it, according to eham's own review pages. But nobody seems to mention anything about lousy shipping problems...

Joel
VE6VOX
K4VVX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 01:46:18 AM »

Hi Joel,
Give them a little more time. These are not mass produced on an assembly line. They are custom, hand crafted pieces of functional art. My Simplex Mono took about 35 days to reach me.  It is well worth the wait.  Sometimes, I just sit here and stare at it.
Don't think of it as lousy service, It's a man and his daughter working as fast as they can. Remember, all of the parts are also made in house.  73, ..Carl.

(It really is worth the wait.)
VE6EIJOEL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 07:14:31 AM »

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your note. I don't mind waiting, IF I've been told in advance (with some accuracy) how long the wait is. In this case I was given a date, and they've gone well beyond it without any further communication.

Everyone talks about Begali as though they should be given special dispensation because they're "artists." Perhaps they are artists, but they've put themselves out into the world as business people too. When I make a commitment I stick to it, and I hope that others will as well. Too much to ask?

I guess I've gotten too used to good customer service, as I've been dealing with the folks at Buddipole and Elecraft recently. I'll try to be more patient!

Joel
KC0YVW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 07:32:18 AM »

I've been VERY impressed with the customer service and the timely shipping from Begali. I've purchase three different models and the only time I had a shipping delay was during that period of severe weather here in the USA around Christmas time.  That was a problem with air traffic here in the US, not with Begali.

Considering the small production, the increase in popularity of their products and the distance to be shipping, I have no complaints at all and commend Bruna and Piero for their ability to deliver one of the finest products with (in my opinion) the best customer service around.

Anything good is worth waiting for.

KCØYVW
VE6EIJOEL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 01:27:21 PM »

Just got a note from Bruna Begali, apologizing profusely for the delay. She wrote that she'll be shipping the key tomorrow, tho the plastic cover will have to follow in a couple more weeks due to delivery problems.

If the key does get shipped tomorrow I'll say that I'm reasonably happy. (Though it would have been nice to get an email explaining the extension of the shipping delay, without my prompting) I'll only report back if things don't go well afterwards.

Sounds like most others are happy with them - they probably just got busy getting ready for Dayton...

Joel
VE6VOX
W0CP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 07:49:15 PM »

March 25th? It took me 2 years to get my zpy. I thought Begali was speedy - it only took about 3 months or so...

I don't mind waiting for hand made craftsmanship...

73, Walt W0CP
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 04:01:22 PM »

I ordered my Simplex Mono yesterday. Today I got an email from Begali telling me my paddle will ship on May 26, just as soon as he gets back from Dayton. I can wait, but I appreciate the contact and the information.
VE6EIJOEL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 10:47:35 PM »

To close the loop on this...

I received my Simplex key yesterday. Bruna sent me a gift of a set of aluminum paddles as an apology for the late delivery. Yes indeed, the Simplex is very attractive, especially with the red aluminum finger pieces added! It's darn smooth too!

I'll never quite understand why a company like this can't keep enough stock on hand to fulfil orders right away, though. Yes, there would be a bit of an investment in building more units than normal for a while, but afterwards they could always ship quickly. That would improve their reputation and they'd end up selling even more keys. Oh well, they run their business as they see fit, I suppose.

Joel
VE6VOX
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 06:31:23 AM »

You are a hard man to please. I would like to think that my Simplex Mono was being built especially for me based on my order. I doubt that Bengali builds to some kind of a projection of sales. And tho I don't know this for a fact, I would like to think the man himself had a hand in building my key. If it takes him a little longer to produce my key, so be it. Excellent things are worth waiting for. Remember, this is not the Volkswagen of keys, it is the Ferrari of keys. Anyway, I hope you have many years of enjoyment with your new Begali, and I hope to hear you on the bands.

Best Regards,

N6NKN ( Rick )
W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 04:47:29 AM »

There is argument on both sides of this isue, however, I lean to the side of proper business procedures.

If you are in business and open to the public - then you should act like a business. Anger resulting from unmentioned/unexpected delays is to be expected.

Kind of like dealing with the local car dealer - just on a smaller scale. You get unhappy with them and you will shop some place else - regardless of the alledged quality issues.

If the product is made as art, then expect delays. But, I doubt if a production such as these kays can be called art. Keys made one-up, such as those from G3YUH, could be considered art.
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 04:55:57 PM »

One thing to consider is that Begali is not an American company and Peiro does not speak English.  In the past when I had communicated with him on a custom project I translated my emails to Italian, and it made things go more smoothly.  

73  W9OY
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 08:06:49 AM »

Ordered my third key from Piero and Bruna today. How many companies have you done business with, where you have personal correspondence with the principals. In ham radio, I think we are spoiled.

Anyway, my first two keys were ordered and were delivered within a week, as they were left here stateside when Piero and Bruna attended Dayton. My current order will not be ready until the last part of July, due to the tremendous demand during and after Dayton (who said CW is dead?).

I am happy to wait for an exceptional product, backed up with exceptional service. Piero does not make keys by the thousands, on the contrary, both my current keys have serial numbers in the low hundreds.

Its special to know that Piero and Bruna are working to manufacture "my" key especially for ME.

If you own one of these works of the precision manufacturing art, you realize that as the saying goes, "perfection takes a little longer".

If you look me up on QRZ you will find a photo of a Bengali Simplex Mono key. This key has already been the topic of conversation during three SSB QSO's, and numerous CW QSO,s, my god, people stop me on six meters and ask me about it.

I don't care how long it takes to get a Begali key. The wait and anticipation is worth it.  

N6NKN
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 03:16:48 PM »

They are a work of art. As far as I know his daughter is the only one who speaks decent english.
  Don WD8PTB
VE2VAE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 01:27:48 PM »

Well, I just received my new Begali Simplex Mono. It took 8 calendar day to travel from Italy to here, in Canada. It was shipped via "registered letter" offered by Italian postage service. No problem with customs, everything went fast and smooth. Begali has a fixed amound for international shipping : 20 euros, wich is about 30 US dollars. Those keys are so amazing...
I order it directly from there web site, and it was ready to sent in less than a week. Yes, I am very satisfied and feel honoured to have one of those very fine key, at an incredible price : a very good value and an unbeatable cost/quality ratio. Oh, yes : Bruna! She kept me informed, responding to all my questions and was very kind, all the time. A real pearl.

Chris, VE2VAE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: