Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Screwdriver Ant. for home use  (Read 693 times)
N4ZFQ

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2004, 04:39:51 PM »

My mobile HF days few and far between. I don't even have an HF radio in a vehicle now. The screwdriver is such a great thing that I hate to leave it in the corner collecting dust. Has anyone ever mounted a mobile screwdriver on a structure permanently and had good luck with it??? Please share your experiences with me.

Thanks........

Colin
KA0GKT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 02:37:10 AM »

You don't mention much about the structure.

If you have a metalic roof, the roof will work as a ground plane and the screwdriver antenna will probably work better than it did on the mobile.  The secret is in the counterpoise.  A screwdriver antenna could be ground mounted as well with a decent ground system dug in around the anenna you ought to have pretty decent results.

You will still have to contend with the narrow bandwidth of the antenna at any given tuning point, but since the antenna is remote tunable this shouldn't be any problem.

I might put a large capacitive hat on the screwdriver antenna to help lower the "Q" of the system and broaden things out a bit.  There shouldn't be any problems wit hteh large hat since it no longer will be running down the freeway at 75+ MPH.

Experiment a bit with ground screens (Bronze window screen directly under the antenna) in conjunction with as many ground radials as you can afford to put into the back yard.

Have some fun with the antenna.  Experimentation is (or should be) a major part of the Amateur Radio Operators fun.

73 de KA0GKT/7
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 10:37:37 AM »

I used one for a while until I could get my "real" antennas up after moving last year.  It definitely "works", just as it would mounted on a car, maybe slightly better if you provide a better counterpoise.  Without another antenna to compare it to, you never really know how good or bad it is but if all you're looking for is to make some contacts, it can be a quick and easy way to get on the air.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 09:27:03 AM »

The screwdriver is full of compromises that are ideal for a mobile where you are very limited on antenna size. For a fixed station there are many more efficient and less expensive antenna options. The best use for a screwdriver in a home station is setting in the corner where you have it now. Better yet, sell it or trade it for a bunch of wire :-)
W4TQT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 08:34:37 PM »

I use a screwdriver antenna at home because of home owner's restrictions (I live in a condo). It works much better than my previous attic antenna. I would recommend removing the whip and using a longer wire instead. Mine uses a full quarter wave wire on 20M which loads with the screwdriver coil at minimum and covers the whole phone band with no tuning. The wire also loads fine as an eighth wave antenna on 40 M and is still about as broad as the phone band. It will also load on 80 M but is considerably narrower.

The moving part (base) of the antenna is installed in a Rubbermade shed and is completely hidden. The "whip" is a length of 3 conductor white extension cord purchased from Lowes. It runs out the top of the Rubbermade shed and up the (also white) wall of the house as far as necessary to resonate on 20 M. The efficiency is not as good on lower bands, especially 80 M. But it can still be used and has an SWR of about 1.5:1 or less.

Ron
N4ZFQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 02:23:13 PM »

thanks for the input guys, I just built a new house and was looking for a short term fix until the tower goes back up. My structure is a metal covered pole barn. I'm thinking a tri-pod and a short mast will do the trick.

colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: