Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 13b2 vs. 2m9SSB for weak signal work  (Read 671 times)
KE5COS

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2005, 11:16:12 AM »

I need the opinion from those who have experience with the Cushcraft 13b2 and the 2M9SSB yagis. I plan to setup 2 horizontally stacked yagis on a single vertical mast for SSB and meteor scatter work. I originally thought about using two 13b2’s, but now after purchasing one and reading the literature available on the net, I’m wondering if I would be better off stacking two 2M9SSB yagis. If any one has experience with these two yagis on weak signal work I would really appreciate your thoughts on which set up would be better to go with, or an alternative suggestion to these two yagis. I’m really not interested in the long boom monsters like the 17b3 or 2m18xxx since I need to keep the boom length down to around 15 feet or so.

Thanks!  
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 12:47:15 PM »

These antennas a pretty similar, and I doubt you'll notice much difference in performance using either design in a stacked pair (as long as the pair are both identical).

I prefer the 2M9SSB only because:

-It's lighter and easier to manage, due to its reduced weight and slightly reduced windloading.

-I love the M2 feedpoint system: It's darned near perfect.  They provide the T-match feedpoint block with an RG6/U balun built using special dual-crimp outdoor CATV type connectors with "O" rings to make a very efficient, watertight seal.  You need to do absolutely nothing to weatherproof these points, they should last outdoors for decades just as they are.  The cable TV industry knows what they're doing, and these connectors are very good.

I've used both the 13B2 and the 2M9SSB (as well as the slightly longer 2M12) and they're both fine antennas.

WB2WIK/6

KI4CYB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 05:17:57 AM »

I was headed down that same road..   When designing antennas there are always compromises made when
designing and optimizing the designs.  I selected the 2M9SSB because my needs were solely for
144.100 - 144.300 SSB... (Phone/CW/Meteor scatter)  The 2M9SSB gain is optimized for this portion of the band,
If you needed 145-148 then 2M9FM is optimized for this area of the band.

The question is what part of the band does the maximum gain occur on the 13B2 that is optimized for the whole band
of 144-148?,   At least I know the M2 has max gain exactly where I need it!

By the way KE5COS, I have worked grids in your sate OK., along with other grids in Texas with (1) 2M9SSB and
100w via meteor scatter on 2M... And those stations had similar equipment, meaning they were not "big gun stations"

Like all 2M weak signal work, after you select your antenna.. Do your self a favor and use GOOD coax! and a mast mount
pre-amp DOES help in meteor scatter!

73, Joe-KI4CYB
Miami, FL
Grid: EL95
KE5COS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 01:36:35 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. The frequency both yagis are optimized for is what concerned me when selecting the one that will do the best job on weak signal work. I may need to back up and reconsider my initial choice of the 13b2's.

My first experience with meteor scatter was last week, just monitoring for signals with a new Rigblaster plus, and picked up a transmission from Maryland on a 2m square loop - IC-271A. Looking forward to setting up something that will provide better reception and the ability to transmit with reasonable certainty of making contacts.

Thanks for your thoughts!
KI4CYB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 06:02:48 PM »

No problem....  

Just in case you did not know, HS Meteor scatter contacts can/and are usually scheduled...
Check out the scheduling page at www.pingjockey.net .  

But as you found out yourself, you never now who you will hear by monitoring the calling freq...

73 - Joe
KI4CYB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: