Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile Antenna Installation.  (Read 1405 times)
KG4GAV

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2000, 01:55:33 AM »

I am looking for any creative, innovative or otherwise methods of installing mobile antennas.  I have a  Mazda B-3000 Pickup (same as a Ford ranger) that I CANNOT drill into (leased) I want to mount a 5/8 wave VHF and/or a 2m/440 dual band antenna preferably using a NMO mount.  I am cautious about mag mounts as I had one on my previous car and it left scratches no matter how careful I was to clean dirt out from under it.  I am interested in something similar to the mount used on the Dodge Ram in the movie Twister, af anyone knows who makes them...

Thanks-
KG4GAV
W6RMR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2000, 04:38:38 PM »

I bought a new 2000 Chevy S-10 that I also did not want to drill holes in. So.... since I chose not to put a shell on it, I bought some very inexpensive COMET trunk mounts , reversed the 'head' and mounted them to the side rail lip of the bed.

It looks good and capable of holding a Diamond SuperGainer on one side and a COMET HF on the other.

Reversing the heads on trun lip mounts is easy. Just two allen screws, turn it over and put them back. You have to do this to get the angle right.

Hope this is a usefull idea for you.

73 de W6RMR
N8EXF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2000, 01:59:41 AM »

does your truck have stake holes along the bed rails?? I used to have a Dodge W150 and I had stake holes. I made a hole plug using a piece of metal that covered the hole and held down with a long bolt that clamped the cover down and thru the drain hole at the bottom of the stake hole pocket. I then mounted a antenna mount to the hole cover plate. Dodge was nice enought to provide a grommet that lead out of the area behind the seat to the outside of the cab. I then routed the coax out of the big rubber plug.

If you have a lip along a door, you can use a really stout trunk lip mount made by Diamond. It is the K-400 xxx. I use a K-400 3/8 with a 3/8in mount. They also have the K-400 MNO etc. Check my web page www.qsl.net/n8exf and follow the links to PHOTOS where I have a picture or two of the HF antenna mounted on my van using the K-400 3/8.

Bob
W5LVB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2000, 12:43:16 AM »

Have you actually checked with the leasing company to see if there is any penalty for drilling holes?
I have had 2 leased vehicles (Dodge Dakota and Jeep Cherokee) and have drilled up to 4 antenna holes in them and was not charged any penalty at end of lease period. Most car dealers will overlook this if they are plugged or capped properly on removal of the antennas.
With today's use of cell phones and/or business radios, it is almost a given that a vehicle is likely to have an antenna hole in it somewhere.
K6MRL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2000, 06:07:11 PM »

I have a 1999 Toyota pickup and I use the MFJ 2m/440 mini mag mount antenna.  The mag mount is the size of a quarter and really holds.  The vertical portion is only 20" long. I have been so impressed with the reception and signal reports, I bought another one to use on my HT and scanner. I've used it for 8 months and don't have any scratchs yet.  The other good thing is it only cost about $21 out the door at HRO.

You might give it a try.
73's K6MRL
N1XRR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2000, 11:04:28 PM »

Hey,
   I'm not shure if this is specifically made for HF antenna's or not but I think it will work...
  Look through the catalogues, you should be able to find a tow-ball mount for your antenna.  This means its a bolt on product(no drilling) and its VERY strong.  Just an idea

Michael Casavant
n1xrr@juno.com
N6MAI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2000, 03:18:19 PM »

There is a commercially manufactured mount for the stake pockets on the bed. I believe you can get it many ways, including NMO. Look through the ham magazines to find it.  I'll post it if I find it, too....

N6MAI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2000, 03:22:26 PM »

I found the stake mount info. They are "GeoTool" www.geotool.com or 949)759-3166 in Newport Beach, CA.....    73 de n6mai
KC4IWO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2000, 03:52:08 PM »

I just bought a new Saturn. I was using a tri-mount mag base on the old car and did not want to use it on the new car for the same reasons as yourself. But my buddy just kept saying, "won't take you long to do it, your just gona suffer until you do so".
He was right and up went the mag mount. It is the coax that does a lot of the scratching, and if you lift the mount offten and clean up around it you will find it won't be as bad as you have seen. And besides, nothing preforms as good as a ant. on the roof.
N4ZFQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2000, 09:02:30 AM »

I am curious to know what the hang-ups are about drilling holes in a vehicle are?? I find it strange that when SOME folks get a ham license, they spend more time figuring out how to not enjoy the hobby than if they would just do the obvious and not worry so much about it. Go ask a car dealer if a hole in the roof of a car or truck decreases the value and see what they say.
 Life's too short, drill the stupid hole and enjoy the performance of a properly installed antenna and give your nerves a break.
KG4LJF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2001, 09:17:31 PM »

I'm faced with the same problem you are. You can stil use a mag. mount antenna w/o scratching it. All you do is cut out a slab of a plastic kroger bag, and sandwich it between your antenna magnet, and the roof. It works great for me.
K4MIX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 04:04:12 PM »

I like the firestick mount ss-18n , mounts under the rear of hood has 3/4" hole for mno,I ordered direct from firestick. the phone # 602 273 7151 . It seems not many radio sales places stock this mount. Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: