Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cushcraft MA5B vs Hybrid MQ-26?  (Read 874 times)
VK2TXB

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2005, 04:34:10 AM »

Hi guys,
I am looking at purchasing a small mini beam and have been doing lots of research and these 2 beams seem to be the top two. Now the big thing is the costs, the MA5B is around $336 and the MQ-26 around $530-550 after shipping taxes etc from Canada. Both get glowing reviews in reviews section on this site and the MQ-26 is alot smaller and seems to have more gain according to specs on their site. Now the question is....what is the hands on difference between the 2 mini beams, apart from the big $$ aspect. To the normal ham, would there be a big difference running these side by side? I know the 5B is only a dipole on 12 & 17 compared the the MQ26, which is a beam on these 2 frequencies. So I await any help please! PS. I know from the XYL she would want the smaller size, until I tell her the price difference!
Cheers
Andrew
VK2TXB
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 07:53:26 AM »

I'd recommend the Hexbeam HX5i over either one of these.  It's also small and lightweight, and has better performance than the MA5B or MQ-26 -- verified in several field trials.  It also doesn't look much like an "antenna," and can be an XYL-pleaser for those who don't like antennas.

It costs more than the MQ-26, but an antenna's the most important part of any station.  Don't tell her what it costs, just buy it and talk about what a great deal you got on the internet.

If that won't fly, I think the MQ-26 and MA5B have very similar performance, which is "not much" for a beam, but better than dipoles, verticals and other non-steerable antennas.

WB2WIK/6
KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 07:55:13 AM »

Lots to consider. I'm betting performance is about the same, although the MQ26 claims gain on WARC while the Cushcraft does not. The Hexbeam claims about the same performance as the other two, but has a better front to back ratio but probably about even on forward gain, I think? Is wind load an issue in your consideration?  
VK2TXB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 09:45:30 PM »

Thanks for feedback guys!
The hexbeam I was refered to is bloody expensive! So, that counts that out. So, I am back between these 2 again, and wind issues aren't too much problem for me. So, if anyone has either of these antennas feel free to chime in!! I have read all reviews on both and each one has equal thumbs up etc, so it makes it hard now.
mmmmmmmmmmmmm.......decisions, decisions.....
Cheers
Andrew
VK2TXB
WA3IRJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 04:08:46 PM »

I looked at all three. And ended up with the Hex five bander. Yes..it was a bit on the pricey side. But is works as well..if not a little better than advertised.

I use no tuner on all bands, except 10 meters...it is 1.6 on the higher end of the phone band. It is on a Rohn 50 foot mast, with the upper most section discarded (too thin)And it turns with a TV rotor.. At 40 feet it works great...but then again, I am comapring it to an invetrted V ! So, I guess any directional antenna would be fantastic to me..LOL
But I like the Hex, and would buy it again! Hope I do not have too!!!!!
JohnB
KB3LXY
K6ZOE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 02:42:19 PM »

Hello to all from San Francisco.. There is also one more to look at the Mosley 33a mini beam  I had one and enjoyed it very much. worked great.. I have put up  5
MA5B for friends and all loved the antenna, the most bang for the buck... 20 mtrs is a bit off but works great.. (swr) Good luck k6zoe
VK2TXB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 05:24:44 AM »

Thanks for replies!!
Yes I am still looking at best bang for buck! I will going through Oregon in late November so will drop into Portland and probably pick up the Cushcraft tax free!
If anyone has any more advice I am all ears, still a few months before I part with money!
Cheers
Andrew
VK2TXB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: