Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best commercial dipole for 80,40and 20 meters  (Read 546 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2006, 12:33:27 PM »

I dont have a very big yard, and I need to work the 80, 40 and 20 meter bands, what antennas should I get, I heard about the G5RV, but I dont know anybody whom has it, also heard about the ALFA DELTA kinds, so recomendations will be appreciated
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 01:41:12 PM »

B & W makes a shortened trap dipole for 80, 40, and 20 that is roughly 80 ft. long.  I purchased one several years ago, but never put it up, so I can't comment on its performance.  The traps are heavy, so the recommended way to install this particular antenna is in an inverted V configuration, which requires a high center support.

Chuck  NI0C

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 02:06:34 PM »

Hy-Power Antenna Co. makes a nice product.  You can find them on the web.
NT7N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 04:14:29 PM »

The G5RV works fine on 80/40/20.  Has a high VSWR on 30 meters which may not be a problem for you.  Some people have had problems with them, but possibly do to their installation and tune-up.  Mine have worked fine.  Mine and friends experience is that the VSWR may be near 3.0 on some bands, so some autotuners may not work well.

I run about 98 ft of 300 ohm TV twin lead on mine (cut the original twin lead and coax off) to a 4:1 balun and 2 ft of mini 8 coax to an old manual MFJ 945C tuner.  It works fine though tuning is a little sharp.  It is up about 24 ft in the center and droops a little.

I suggest building a 100 or 102 ft center fed dipole with 400 ohm or 300 ohm twin lead feed to a tuner.  Why buy when you can make one so inexpensively.  If you must use coax vice twin lead the G5RV is an alternative.

If you want something else, take a look at the Cobra Ultralite Jr. which is 70 ft long though I think it may leave a little to be desired on 75/80 meters.

Good Luck,  Don NT7N

KC6PJK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 07:39:14 PM »

I can't tell you who makes the best commercial dipole, but can tell you I have been using the Radio Works Beam Special (Windom) for several years and it is a good performer.  It requires a tuner but does tune up on all bands from 80M to 10M.  I have it strung between two trees about 125 feet apart with one end at 40 feet above ground and the other at 30 feet.  I can run 600 to 700 watts from my AL-811H on all bands with no problems.  It replaced my homebrew multi-band (40-15-10) dipole.  I went with the commercial antenna to get all band capability (minus 160) quickly.  

Good luck on your search, which can be half the fun.  Building one is fun too, so if you haven't built one yet, consider it.  You gain a lot of satisfaction from making contacts with an antenna you built yourself.  Prior to the dipole, I made a 10M vertical antenna and made contacts all over the world with my Radio Shack HTX-100 running 25 watts (first rig).  Sunspots helped, of course.

Jack
KB3LXY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 02:41:12 PM »

Hi
Been using an Alpha Delta Dxcc. 80 feet long, and tunes 10-80 meters. Works exceptional on 20 and 40. Have made some ten meter contacts, and 15 cw...band was not doing well at the time. I have workeda ton of Dx...Europe and Asia.

It is a great antenna for a small yard. One draw back. is on 75-80 meters. I had to trim off about a foot on each end for the 75 meter SSB band. It is too narrow on 75. A tuner is a must...or else you will have only 35-40 kc of width. As it uses coils on the 40 meter wire to make it resonant on 75-80 meters.
I am taking it down soon...I plan on adding another full size half wave dipole to it for 80 meters.

It is not a bad over the counter antenna...
JohnB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: