Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PALSTAR - Worst Service on Earth  (Read 10599 times)
VR2XMT

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2008, 10:26:33 PM »

I ordered a Palstar DL2K 2000 Watt Dummy Load from Palstar and the parcel arrived on 23 January, 2008. Upon opening the parcel and taking out the unit I noticed that there was a sound of something loose and rattling inside, this was not a good sign. This unit was paid and purchased as a brand new unit from Palstar online dealer from EBay and direct shipped from manufacturer. It is not a secondhand unit sold-as-is from an EBay auction so of course I was somewhat surprised.

Opening up the cabinet I found that there was one loose and bent bolt and nut inside and this would have been used to fix the resistor mounting bracket in place. The bracket itself was also bent. Photos were taken and email sent to Palstar to notify them that I had received damaged goods.

Palstar's CEO Mr.  Paul Hrivnak (N8PH) responded promptly but so very superficially by apologizing and saying you can effect the repairs yourself!! Wow, how is that for service??? Where is the so called due diligence and duty of care which any normal company should be exercising towards it's customers? It was quite obvious that Palstar could not really care less about ethics or more about the customer who received shoddy and damaged goods. To any person the right customer service response would appear fairly simple and obvious - "Sorry for this, please send back the damaged unit and we will replace one for you at no cost" would have been the correct and proper thing to do. But the Palstar "Management" did not even bother to offer such a gesture and instead told me to fix it myself (go do-it-yourself). Can you believe the nerve of this man? You must remember that I am buying something new and not secondhand and broken, how can anyone in their right mind ask a customer to do such a thing.

Palstar are #1 in bad customer service and lack of responsibility and Cowboys in the way they run their business and treat their customers. Thanks to people like them, they are giving amateur radio a bad name. Would not recommend buying something from them, not work the risk or hassle to deal with irresponsible people like these. They have allotted to learn about Customer Service and Ethics. Maybe they think because I am on the other side of the world, they can get away with such a bad attitude, think again, I am a radio amateur and I communicate so this story will be told to all hams I know, you just earned free publicity.

==================================================================

From Paul Hrivnak <paul@palstar.com>
To Charlie Ho <vr2xmt@gmail.com>,

dateJan 23, 2008 9:40 PM
subjectRe: PALSTAR DL2K 2000 WATT Dummy Load - Invoice No.14847
mailed-bypalstar.com

hide details 9:40 PM (16 hours ago) Reply

I aplogize for this problem
I can tell you it does not happen very often
I am sure you can reinsert the bolt by lifting the bracket
and you can tighten the nut with a small wrench
Again we are sorry this happened
Regards  Paul

==================================================================

Charlie
VR2XMT
VR2XMQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 03:52:06 AM »

There is just no excuse for asking someone who has spent good money on something new to carry out his own repairs. This is just like saying to the customer "I've got your money and just don't have anymore time for you and don't care", this is appauling.

Complete lack of any notion about customer service or care. Never mind, such firms who do not perform in this day and age will soon go under and shall not survive in a customer orientated world.

His time will come and he will know soon enough!
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 07:36:15 AM »

With all due respect to the both of you ...

I agree the bolt should not have been loose, but you seriously want to spend the time and money to ship the unit from Hong Kong to the US and back for a 30 second repair you can do yourself?

I think some folks need a reality check.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 01:51:30 PM »

I have to agree with Lon on this one.

I think the intent of the Palstar response was that it was a simple repair, which if done, would save yourself a whole lot of money in shipping costs.

Jim/k7unz
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 02:39:30 PM »

Charlie, people that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. The products that come out of your country aren't exactly the paragon of High Quality with ease of return. Not to mention the counterfeits, poisonous tooth paste, pet food and lead painted children's toys.
VR2XMT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 04:21:08 PM »

Thank you for all input.

The main points are not:

1)   Shipping back, or
2)   DIY

It is the mentality and service approach on how to handle customer’s feed back on their products, especially to workmanship and quality control.

Please read my post carefully that it is not a simple 30 seconds repair as the whole bracket was bent. The people assembly the unit ignores it and just inserts the screw.

Lon and Jim, if you buy a new unit need repair and the manufacturer ask you DIY, what is your feeling?
MAZZ1232002

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 04:23:46 PM »

I could not have said it better if I tried, Translated, cheap Chinese CRAP.

Pete
  WB4CGA
VR2XMQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 06:36:29 PM »

First off I can only say that I can sit here and laugh at some of the replies which I could summarize as really “typical” and scathing, detracting from the issue being discussed.
Appears some of you are taking things too personally and have raw nerves. Focus on the issue at hand instead of getting racist and personal, which is exactly the way the threads are going.

Before I return to the task at hand, I can advise you that I am neither Chinese or American. I am British so will not take sides and merely comment on the issue of how Charlie was treated as a consumer. The origin of where the goods came from really does not come into play, so stop being defensive about the USA, because DROLLTROLL who has commented on glass houses (he does appear to not have the guts to show his name or callsign ! is he even a ham?) should think about what he is saying first. The USA is not a paragon either and far from it, you aren’t exactly clean and fair or puritans. For example they have tried to dump toxic and radioactive waste on the door steps of developing countries. Your not that ethical. You also manufacture and export a fair amount of crap also (I have purchase a fair amount that was “Made in USA”) and your economy is going down the tubes because you have borrowed heavily and owe a lot of money now.

Pete, just keep it to the point which is customer treatment and service issue, what would be expected if you purchase a bit of kit brand new (the country of origin does not come into play here), so stop being defensive.

I like it when people like to criticize the Far East and China, but I have often asked the question “Good, but do you know what you are actually talking about, do you have first hand experience and have you lived and worked there? The response is always a resounding and deafening silence.” I have lived in many countries so I do not feel that USA is exactly the best place in the world as you too have your problems. That is not the issue here. There are good and bad points with each country.

Back to the issue and I wish to thank the two gentlemen in the room Lon and Jim for their comments, but the argument here is the fact that Charlie was given a shoddy piece of equipment which should be free of defects and from a Customer service standpoint, the customer should have been offered a replacement unit. Distance is not the issue that comes into play here, and whether or not Charlie would send it back is an entirely different issue. Also it was not just an issue of a loose bolt, Charlie did quite clearly mention that the bracket inside was bent.

He should not have under any circumstances been told as a first response to go and repair it himself. I would not allow my employees to say such a thing to my customers and we have 3,000 employees, are service based and a large multi-national.

So please keep to the issue and do not detract, it is the service issue that is being discussed and not the origin of the product. Remember that crap can be manufactured anywhere, and USA also does have it’s fair share, so does the UK. Snide remarks are just personal and trying to cover up the issue at hand.

Good day!

Steven Beesley, VR2XMQ
MAZZ1232002

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 07:07:18 PM »

Steven
     I cannot speak for anyone else but I love the British people, they are our friends and allies, I consider them family.
   This is way off topic but I have a problem with the Chinese, I am an animal lover, especially dogs and I have been reading about the barbaric treatment of animals in China. Given the opportunity I will always take a shot at anyone Chinese and I do know that there are many Chinese people who abhor what is taking place in China with regard to animals. What does this have to do with ham radio, not a damn thing but I just want to make the world aware of this. Ok I am out of here and thank you to everyone for reading my rant here.

73's
       Pete
       WB4CGA
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 07:29:54 PM »

Pete, you are so out of line that it boggles the mind. Please keep the racially motivated comments to yourself; they have no business here.

Gentlemen, not everyone is like this miscreant.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
VR2XMQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 07:57:44 PM »

Pete, I am sorry for you, you really do not know the Chinese people at all. As for bad treament of animals, this is going on everywhere. I do not like the whaling done by the Japanese, but that does not mean that I have a dislike of the Japanese people. You are paying a discourtesy to all the Chinese people with such a remark.

Lon, thank you again.

Steven Beesley, VR2XMQ
VR2XMQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 08:03:48 PM »

No one is deliberating dissing an "American" company, people are taking it to a personal level. It is the ethics and the customer service that is in focus. Get focused! I can see nothing great about brushing off a custome with a defective piece of equipment and not offering replacement right up front. That is exactly why people like Yaesu and Icom are so successful.

Steven, VR2XMQ
VR2XMQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 08:09:37 PM »

Oh and Don,

You have to take a shot and drag outher issues into it. It was not long ago that we found poisonous dog food from the good old USA here and it all had to be recalled. Now you should take a reality check and come down to earth. So tit for tat, stick to the issues. So what if he is in China, he could be in Tim-buk-two, it is quite a simple issue of bad customer service.

Steven, VR2XMQ
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 08:31:10 PM »

Hmmmm, When checking their online websites VR2XMQ's station looks suspiciously like VR2XMT's station.....?

Steven, I'm glad you brought up ethics, What are your thoughts on the Falun Gong? How about harvesting organs?

http://www.buyhard.fsnet.co.uk/harvesting_and_sale_of_body_parts.htm

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/rm/2001/3792.htm

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Worthington_Peter/2006/04/16/1536085.html

VR2XMQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 08:44:42 PM »

Droll or whoever you are, my station photo is on Freeweb.com, the photo you saw was taken on a visit to Charlie's QTH and is his station.

As for Falong Gong they are crazy (If you did some reading up, you would know that Falong Gong are outlaws in China), you have the sun-moon cult of Korea, so what about the KKK in your neck of the woods? If you are going to post, post name and call or leave it out!

Steven, VR2XMQ
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: