Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ALS 600 BY AMERITRON  (Read 1703 times)
KC0MQR

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2003, 05:48:39 PM »

I am looking to buy a solid state amp and have been
looking at the ameriton ALS-600. Looking for user comments about the reliability ect for this amp. Am a
little unsure as have heard no comments on the air.

Thanks John kc0mqr  73
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 06:13:11 PM »

It's a very solid amp.  Several local friends have them and I've heard of no problems.  They sound good on the air, and reliability should be excellent provided you don't have one in line during a lightning storm!  (That seems to be the #1 cause of failures in solid state amplifiers.)

I don't mind using tubes, so I don't need an SS amplifier at the home station; but for anyone having very well-matched antennas (which don't need any tuner) and desiring very simple, fast band changing, the ALS-600 should fit the bill.  As you probably know, if you have mismatched antennas, this amplifier is not a great choice...

WB2WIK/6
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 07:03:42 PM »

good amp but expensive because you are buying the power supply too, I have several large power supplies (50 and 70 amps) so I bought a used als 500 for $300 and use it just fine, It is made for mobile use but works fine as a base unit.  They don't do real good with the ten meter kit installed, ten is really sensitive to even minimal swr, it kicks it off.  

I usually drop the input to 25 or 30 watts on ten meters and get about 300 out.  I find a good honest 300 watts is usually all you need , it gets you out of the noise, so run your rig at 75% out and save a bit ov extra unnecessary power.  73  tom N6AJR  
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 09:19:57 PM »

N6AJR, ALS-600, not ALS-500
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 04:52:42 AM »

I've had an ALS-600 for about three years now.  Very solid amp with no problems.  The protection features work very well and protect the amp if you do something dumb (I'm talking from experience!).  I use mine with a MFJ-998 autotuner.  Great combo.

Phil - AD5X
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 10:44:29 AM »

I owned an ALS-600 for a couple of years.  Initially I used it with the switching power supply which tripped the protection circuitry on the RF deck on certain speech syllables both at high and lower power output levels.  After I exchanged the switching supply for the analog model the amp was problem free for me.  On some bands it was about 100 watts short of the advertised 600 watt SSB power output figures.  The amp was easy to operate despite a "clumsily written" ALC adjustment procedure in the manual.  I have a friend who has been running his on the air for years and I hear it almost daily.  This little amp works!

73, BJ
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 11:00:39 AM »

Looking at the eham reviews of the ALS-600 it looks like the reliability has gotten better in last few years. I ordered one yesterday and will be able to comment on it next weekend.
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 05:40:14 PM »

I've owned an ALS-600 for about two and a half years and am a satisfied customer. As others have said, the protection circuitry works well. I got one of the first redesigned models with auto bandswitching and I love that feature. I have the amp, the MFJ-998 autotuner and my Icom Pro 3 interfaced together and interfaced to my computer. A DX spot appears on my monitor, I click it with my mouse and the rig, tuner and amp all jump to the correct frequency and I'm ready to transmit. You can't ask for more more.

73, N4KZ
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 06:00:37 PM »

N4KZ, how much power will it output? I'm wondering if the max on CW is 500 W or will it make 600 W?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: