Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRO POLAR OPPOSITE OF AES  (Read 23439 times)
K3EY

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2007, 05:11:43 AM »

Since I wrote of my woeful experience with AES I have since spent big bucks at HRO.

A few minor things went wrong at HRO and were very quickly and friendly rectified to my complete satisfaction.

I will take one small example: I purchased a high-end radio costing several thousand dollars and within a month discovered that HRO had an unadvertised lower price on the same item. I called HRO and asked if they would refund the difference. They gave me a choice to either receive a store credit or a refund on my credit card and then they again thanked me for my business.

This kind of treatment is what we all hope to realize unlike an unanswered letter to the head of national sales at AES that stated my concerns and complaints. Where AES doesn’t care HRO does and where AES lost over $6000 dollars in business because of their blasé attitude HRO won with an excellent attitude towards their customers.  

So don’t tell me customer indifference doesn’t mean anything as I am only one small person who works for a wage and spends money carefully on my radio hobby. Blowing people off is like a deadly virus in businesses who cater to none industry working class people who have limited resources to support them. Thanks to the internet the dark corners now have plenty of light to flush out the rats.

Curt/k3ey
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 05:40:53 PM »

I don't know this because I've never worked in sales, but I've always suspected that commission-based incentive selling affects attitudes. Could it be that AES pays by the hour, while HRO pays commission?

I've noticed huge differences in attitude between sales people within the same company. Once I find a salesperson who I feel is fair and honest, I try to stick with that person. You'll find Mike Dunlap of the Ham Station out of Sumter, SC is very trustworthy. No storefront, but he's very conscientious about his business, and can match prices with the best of them. He's the owner and operator.

I've personally visited HRO in a couple of different cities, and Durham radio in Toronto. In Atlanta, HRO employees seemed rushed, but friendly. In Virginia, HRO employees were extremely friendly and bent over backwards to help me find the items I wanted to buy. In Toronto, Durham Radio employees were very helpful, even though they didn't have what I wanted, they found a great substitute that has worked out well.

I've ordered from AES as well, but only over the phone. I've never experienced any problems with major dealers. I've also had great luck with the folks at Ten Tec.

The only major problems I've ever had were with a dealer who has since gone out of business, so there's no need to name him.

73 all, -KR4WM
AD4C2006

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 04:52:38 AM »

Since I have been a ham for 15 years I have never bought anything at AES,its not because they had treated me unpollitely but its because of their unfare policy to charge you taxes no matter IF you buy the item in one store out of your state,so that means If I wanted to buy at their store in Ohio to save the Florida taxes,they will charge them anyway because they have a store here in Florida,that is not fare at all,besides they don't have that deal that all the other stores has of free shiping when the item is over a hundred bucks,and finally ALL items they sell are always more expensive than in the rest of the stores.That is why I never buy anything at AES.
I have had excellent experiences with HRO,Texas Tower and Gigaparts that are mainly my resources to buy ham radio stuff.They all are professional sellers who always has satisfied me with their behavior.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 07:22:22 AM »

<< but its because of their unfare policy to charge you taxes no matter IF you buy the item in one store out of your state,so that means If I wanted to buy at their store in Ohio to save the Florida taxes,they will charge them anyway because they have a store here in Florida,>>

Don't blame AES for this. Many (maybe most states) states have a requirement that sales tax must be collected from customers in any state where the company has a store, whether or not the sale was made through that store. It's done to eliminate just what you were trying to do - evade paying the sales tax. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 05:33:22 AM »

Thats the one reason why I like HRO in New Hampshire--they are also friendly and helpful, and do their best to rectify problems.  

The feather in their cap is there are no state sales taxes there, and they stick to that policy wherever they ship.  Even if the items come out of another HRO location, they treat it as an internal transfer and as sold out of New Hampshire.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 08:09:55 AM »

There is no sales tax in Delaware, either, but there is in Virginia. If the Delaware store ships to Virginia, or the New Hampshire store, for that matter, ships to Virginia, the WILL charge Virginia sales tax. They have no choice.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KI4MSJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 05:58:01 AM »

I have not had any dealings with AES but, many with HRO here in Woodbridge, VA. Yes, they are commision based sales but, only stores not individual sales- people. I had ordered many things on line and found that a certain store does not get your business  it goes to which ever store has the item where-as, if you call say the closest store to you, that store will get the sale. Most on line sales go to the store in NH so, now I call the store personally. I find them extremely helpful and sincere and many are HAMS themselves. Shipping is extremely fast and packed well. They have always been willing to bend over backwards to help even if it means not making a sale. I will always do business with the local HRO.
N5GE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 10:07:32 AM »

"I have never bought anything at AES,its not because they had treated me unpollitely but its because of their unfare policy to charge you taxes no matter IF you buy the item in one store out of your state,so that means If I wanted to buy at their store in Ohio to save the Florida taxes,they will charge them anyway because they have a store here in Florida,that is not fare at all"

Don't blame them for the tax issue.  It's your state that MAKES THEM behave they way you describe.  Write a letter to your state representitive...  Don't badmouth the merchant for that one!
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 05:40:28 PM »

WA8MEA said:
But I have had the OPPOSITE experience of what you've claimed. HRO seemed to treat me as bothersome situation that just interrupted their day. That was my first....and last experience with HRO.

AGREED.  The HRO in Burbank was just that way. They'd glare at everyone coming through the door. I also got hostility from them when I came in to buy an accessory for my V7A. I knew the part number and everything, all they had to do was go get it and ring it up for me. Instead they gave me trouble because I didn't buy the original RADIO from them!  So about 10 years ago I vowed never to do business with their store again, and I have not.

AES Las Vegas, and Juns in Culver City, are both friendly places and glad to see customers. (The only reason I can't visit Juns anymore is because I can't climb stairs anymore and they have no elevator.)

Dave AD7DB
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 03:48:43 AM »

I was going to order from AES, but when they wanted to charge state sales tax for Mass. when they don't have a store in Mass. I told them to cancel the order.  At present, internet sales are not taxable in Mass. UNLESS the seller has a physical presence (a store or warehouse) in the state.  The same is true of most states.

I do business with HRO in Salem, NH, and am never EVER charges sales tax--even though the order is shipped to Mass. and even if the order is a large one.  To top things off, HRO will even tell you if there is a special pricing on the articles you are buying--even if you don't ask.

I'll stick with HRO.
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 08:00:51 AM »

Ive given tham all a chance - over & over HRO is the best....73
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 08:18:43 AM »

I don't know about other states, but in VA the company isn't required to collect VA sales tax if they don't have a physical presence in VA. However, the customer who resides in VA is still required to pay the VA sales tax directly to the state. I wonder how many VA residence keep track of that and pay up at the end of the year?
KJ4SLP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 06:12:24 AM »

I'm not terribly impressed by any of them when it comes to customer service.  HRO on the phone (never been to one of their shops) always seems rushed and impatient--tell us what you want and get off the phone.  Universal takes forever to ship anything and inquiries about shipping or order status elicit a "why are you picking on us" response.  AES has a shop here in Orlando and it is staffed, for the most part, by guys who are...shall we say...elderly.  If they don't know you, they give you a fish-eye stare when you walk in and if they do know you they fumble with the computers, shuffle around, wander in and out of the back room, but generally come up with the items you want.  Don't go there if you are in a hurry.

That being said, all three have always come through in the end, delivering what I ordered and standing behind their products, so I suppose I shouldn't be too critical.  I do think, though, that their relative inattention to quality customer service reflects the reality that they have a captive market.  Unlike shopping for a TV or a new sofa, we have very few options.  The companies realize that we have to come to them, like it or not, and in consequence they don't work terribly hard at service excellence.

Three exceptions I will note, though they are all relatively small companies compared to Universal, HRO, and AES.  Palstar, FlexRadio, and DX Engineering seem to pride themselves on fast, friendly responses to customer inquiries and problems.  Palstar sometimes has to build the item you order before they ship it but they're always quite willing to keep you in the loop about what is going on.  DX ships amazingly quickly.  And nobody beats Flex for customer service.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 10:10:57 PM »

Well I've shopped at HRO for 16 years now after the kind of treatment I received at AES Las Vegas.  Walking in the store I was not greeted and was stared at like someone trying to rob their dumpy ghetto-like store.  Yes, they said "Hi, how can I help you" to the bunch of people that walked in after us.  Being a minority, we were treated like trash and that ended my sales with them. On the other hand, walking into HRO Denver, HRO Atlanta, HRO Burbank was pleasant.  Sales people greeted you like family and treated you with repsect.  Hence thousands of dollars spent at HRO versus $200 at AES and I sold that MFJ 989 antenna tuner.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
KU5Q

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 02:02:43 AM »

Well I've shopped at HRO for 16 years now after the kind of treatment I received at AES Las Vegas.  Walking in the store I was not greeted and was stared at like someone trying to rob their dumpy ghetto-like store.  Yes, they said "Hi, how can I help you" to the bunch of people that walked in after us.  Being a minority, we were treated like trash and that ended my sales with them. On the other hand, walking into HRO Denver, HRO Atlanta, HRO Burbank was pleasant.  Sales people greeted you like family and treated you with repsect.  Hence thousands of dollars spent at HRO versus $200 at AES and I sold that MFJ 989 antenna tuner.

I respect all the opinions here, and all points are valid for the individual. Since I never talk to any sales people at HRO, never have questions, research everything I want to buy before I buy it, double check by email they really have the item in stock, I'm never charged sales tax, or shipping, that's why I have good feelings about them and always do business with them first. That's an unusual thing compared to the common way normal people like to do business, so I understand others bad feelings toward HRO.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: