Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRO POLAR OPPOSITE OF AES  (Read 23440 times)
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 06:23:59 AM »

I do a lot of business at HRO in Woodbridge. Their staff is usually very helpful and Steve (the manager) will take time to help you out if you have questions.

I live a few miles from them and will usually go to them first. If they have what I want in stock and it's reasonably close in price to someone else like cheapham I will just drive over and pick it up from them.

I've ordered a few things from competitors because their price + shipping beat HRO's price + tax by a fair margin. But this is rare. I try to buy from HRO even if they end up being a few dollars more because they treat customers well and I like having a ham store in the area. Yeah, their prices on stuff like cable etc. are a little high but they need to make money off that stuff to keep the prices on big-ticket stuff competitive.

They also have pretty good sales on rigs sometimes- so if you are in the market for something ask them if they will have it on sale soon.

ex W4HFK
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 02:00:24 PM »

Interesting thread, Posts with huge accusations and outright mud fights keep showing up then they just disappear the following day!  What the heck is going on with this thread?
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 12:28:33 PM »

No problem with any of them from my side of the house.
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2011, 05:25:26 PM »

I've purchased (by mail) from HRO, AES, Universal, Gigaparts, Texas Towers, Burghardts -- never had a problem with any of them.  I tend to rotate my purchases between them because I like 'em all.
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2011, 06:36:32 AM »

Based on my previous experience with HRO, I decided to order my new Palstar tuner from them. That experience plus their free shipping offer were too good to pass up. Great company.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2011, 04:39:05 PM »

I've been buying radios from AES for almost thirty years.  Always gotten great service and great advice.  I even had on rep talk me out of an expensive DSP unit I didn't really need!!

I see a number of angry posters who seem to take a cut-throat attitude to shave every penny from transactions with dealers.  Fine, make yourselves miserable.   

HRO has a great reputation as well, and I'm confident they would treat me just as well.

How do you treat the dealers?  Like a skinflint out to beat them at a deal or like a fellow ham who values their experience and advice?

Bill
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2011, 05:21:15 PM »

I started this tread back when---and trust me AES IS listening because the big man who runs AES has refused to sell to me, because of this thread!  LOL.

He didn't want to hear my story but instead listened to their, infallible employee, who gave his version covering his hide side.

Arrogance is the rule at AES. Good luck with that in today's economic climate.

The customer is always wrong at AES---ask them.
K3EY

Wow that's incredible!  I have never heard of a company banning someone for making a complaint, is that even legal?
Anyway if I am banned it really does not matter as HRO has everything that AES sells and the shipping is free so why would I ever change companies.  IMO The only area that AES has an edge over HRO is the quality of the Catalog.

KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2011, 12:44:55 PM »

I do a lot of business at HRO in Woodbridge. Their staff is usually very helpful and Steve (the manager) will take time to help you out if you have questions.
Thanks, didn't know he was the manager, but I believe it. My first purchases via snail-mail, sincere Q&A, and his patience & prompt follow-up have made HRO-Woodbridge my first call. An operation's D-layer often reflects the attitude of those in F2. Nice to know I didn't just get lucky; good guy.

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 06:56:19 PM »

I have bought from both HRO and AES. I have not had problems with either. That being said I have been using AES in Orlando alot lately after getting my General. Quick shipping and good service when I have questions.
WU0R

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 04:35:04 AM »

Never had a bad experience with AES (yet)...but contacted R&L ELectronics regarding an item they listed for sale, never received a response so went elsewhere.  Heard they were a bunch of D**ks...kinda believing that remark.

With the economy what it is, one would think business's would want your business, not run off potential sales.  Perhaps they are too arrogant.   Don't know.  I have bought from both HRO and AES and both was acceptable experiences, along with Ham Station also.

KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2011, 03:37:28 PM »

I ahve had a much better experience with HRO vis-a-vie AES.  I lived in Cleveland and I did not like the guys my salesman had to answer the phone.  I got pissed and told him so.  He told me that Milwaukee, had told them that phone calls come first.  I tend not to buy things from AES.  I live in Fairhope, Al and If it is in stock in Atlanta, I get it the next day.  Can't beat that.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2011, 05:38:55 AM »

I used to work at HRO Atlanta many moons ago. As far as the comments about the salesman seeming rushed, they usually are. I don't think things have changed much as far as the pace of business since I worked there and probably have gotten worse. The phones are ringing off the hook constantly. They have responsibility for the local number as well as the 1-800 number for their area. There is usually a brisk walk in business of local hams and hams visiting the area as well. You'll have to excuse the guys if they don't have time to listen to you yammer on about your latest hernia operation or what radio was like back in 19-whatever when you were a 16 year old novice. Go get on the air if you want to ragchew!
 As far as prices, it was my experience when I worked there that they would match any legitimate price as long as it was in stock at the other dealer. If you can call R&L and get a better price, do so, then call HRO and give them the opportunity to match it. You'll get the good price and the good service of HRO.
Michael, W4HIJ
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 05:40:37 AM by W4HIJ » Logged
K5CWC

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2011, 07:48:44 AM »

My experience with HRO has been excellent.   "Bill", a representative with that company went well out of his way to provide exceptional service to resolve a problem that was actually the fault of the manufacturer.   Guess who gets my business...
K4YDN

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2011, 02:33:43 PM »

I have been dealing with HRO Atlanta since 1988 and have never had a bad experience with Mark, KJ4VO and his staff. I have spent more money at HRO than I care to think of.  Over the years I have received several items that were defective (poor QC).  Mark has always sent me a new unit promptly without question.  Mike, K4YDN
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2011, 12:42:52 PM »

I have had a much better experience with HRO vis-a-vie AES.  I lived in Cleveland and I did not like the guys my salesman had to answer the phone.  I got pissed and told him so.  He told me that Milwaukee, had told them that phone calls come first. 

ARRGGH! I hear ya there OM!

That is one of my pet peeves in ANY retail store.
Yeah, OK to answer the phone and say "I'm helping
another customer at the moment. Would you like to hold,
or can I get your number and call you back in a few
minutes?".

But do NOT take an order or start answering questions
and leave the in-store customer standing there.

It's especially inexcusable if there are other employees to handle the call.

Was this a salesman alone in the store or were there
other employees?

Ken,  AD6KA
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: