Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radials for the 4BTV vs. Chainlink fence?  (Read 508 times)
K3ASA

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2006, 07:11:37 AM »

My back yard is 100' wide, which will mean that a couple of the radials on, actually 3 sides, including the rear, will be within 5 or 10 feet of the property line.  I plan to put up a 4' high chain link on the property line soon.  Will the fence interfer with the effiency of the antenna, being that close to the ends of the radials? Gene
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 08:30:07 AM »

I doubt it.  Your radials will be on the ground, so the usual high voltage appearing at the ends of the radials won't be very high, since it will be shorted to ground.

I'd be more concerned about how close the fence is to the vertical radiator itself.  Four feet isn't all that high, but I've had problems with a 6' high wrought iron rail fence within 20 feet of an HF vertical at my last house.  I had to move the vertical as far away from the fence as I could to reduce the interaction, and it *seemed* to stop messing up at about 35 feet separation.

I wasn't happy about digging 3-4 different holes and filling them with concrete during my "experimenting" with the vertical location.  But I threw sod over the unused "bases" and a few months later, they disappeared.

WB2WIK/6
K3ASA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 01:16:28 PM »

Thanks.......  With a little luck, I should be able to place the antenna about center of lot, which would be about 50' from each side, and 1/2 way between the house and the rear lot line, which would be about 35' each way.
NG0K

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 02:09:26 PM »

My homebrew vertical is 4 feet from my chain fence. I have 25 radials in the lawn in a 180 degree pattern.  I suppose the radiation pattern may be distorted to a degree, but practically speaking, I can work most DX with 5 watts if the pileup isn't too bad.

73, Doug NG0K

73, Doug - NG0K
VE3IOS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 06:27:18 AM »

I would be running a wire out to the chainlink fence and hooking that up as a radial as well. Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: