Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TenTec Refused to sell me an Orion II  (Read 19782 times)
KW4CQ

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2005, 02:56:24 AM »

Sour grapes at TenTec?  Here is how they treat their customers when I tried to order one of their newly announced Orion II transceivers:

Dear Bob:

We thank you for your interest in the new Ten-Tec Orion II.  I am sorry, because
of previous RMA's and eham reviews we are unable to provide the style of
radio which will meet your requirements.  Your order has been deleted.

Stan Brock, WD0BGS
Amateur Radio Sales

The RMAs they are refering to are the result of my returning two Jupiters several years ago that had performance problems.  The eHam reviews refer to my negative user comments I left here on eHam.  In checking around the ham community it seems I am not the only one they are keeping a rap sheet on and refusing to honor their orders for equipment.  Just thought you would all like to know how our only U.S. manufacturer of HF transceivers treats it public.  

K7RRF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 08:29:26 AM »

Since you published this obvious attemp at "spin", for public consumption, to hurt Ten-Tec business, I'll cast my vote for them. They gave you an honest answer, and they don't have to sell you squat! They even addressed you as "Dear Bob", how quirky is that.
HA5RXZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 09:11:40 AM »

No problem here with the people at TenTec, nice friendly folk. Maybe they didn't want to sell you a rig because you might generate more adverse publicity?

HA5RXZ
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 05:29:50 PM »

If you consistantly and constantly bad-mouthed my company and its products, I wouldn't sell to you again, either.
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 07:53:36 PM »

Well, to be honest, the only part I can't understand is why you would be again ordering a Ten-Tec if you past experience was as you have stated.

As for the company, as others have said....why would they want to shoot themselves in the foot by selling you another rig?

You don't have to buy from them, and they don't have to sell to you.  That's the way it is....

Jim/k7unz
AA8SH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 05:52:23 AM »

The fact that Stan Brock, WD0BGS replied with complete candor via an email which he no doubt anticipated  might be forwarded or pasted anywhere, (as it has been) again demonstrates the integrity of the people at Tentec.  Hooray for a simple honest reply, even if it's a negative one!  

Also, this story indicates that some of the guys at Tentec actually read with interest the reviews at Eham.  If that's so, allow me to submit a series of optimistic if/then scenarios.    

1)  If the Tentec staff read your negative Jupiter review, then they may also have read the many constructive Jupiter reviews posted.  
2)  If they read the constructive reviews, then those  reviews may influence the design of Jupiter II.
3)  If Jupiter II is better than Jupiter, then I will buy one!  
3)  If I buy one, then I will review it and the cycle may start again.
4)  If this is going on as I suspect it may be, then it's far better than Tentec depending on one QST review for "consumer" feedback--sorry Arrl, Eham is the future.
5)  One last optimistic if--If you're reading at Tentec, then please add some chrome to Jupiter II, keep the excellent audio, keep it in a large cabinet and keep it simple, no sub-menus.

I like pretty toys that are fun to play with.  Come on Jupiter II.  BCNU Clark, AA8SH

Thanks to EHam and Tentec.

One last if/then.
If I submit this, then someone won't like it.          
YEPSURE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 05:17:10 PM »

The good news is there are other amateur radio manufacturers out there who make high-quality equipment to suit your needs. I admit though it's a little odd they would outright refuse to sell you one of their products, but I haven't read your reviews of the previous radio's you spoke of. Most other companies wouldn't really use that as a reason not to sell you further products but apparently TenTec chose a different path in this case. Typically you don't find companies employing the kind of tactic that say's we won't sell to you if you don't say good things about us. I don't have the full story so I can't say for sure that's what happened here but it appears this is what the original post is saying.

The bottom line is there are other manufacturers to choose from who make excellent products so it's not as if you can't but a radio at all. There are always other manufacturers who are more than willing to sell you whatever your looking for, regardless of how you ultimately rate their product.

Although TenTec can do whatever they want, on the surface it looks somewhat juvenile to turn someone away because they had to have a previous return or repair, and subsequently gave a poor rating of those products as a result of their personal experience. But again, without knowing the details about the situation it's hard to say for sure what actually transpired here. Doesn't look too good on their part though.
KN7T

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 07:08:04 PM »

Obviously, I don't know all the details of the situation described by the original poster on this thread but it seems to me that something is being left out.  I can't believe that a company like Ten Tec, with its fine reputation, would simply refuse to honor an equipment order based on a couple of previous returns and a negative review of one of their products.  There must be more to this story...  
KW4CQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 05:15:26 AM »

Dear Orion owners.  I posted this story with only one purpose in mind and that was simply to bring to the public's attention precisely what happened to me.  I am not trying to be vindictive or put a spin on the facts.  I will let you be the judge as to whether TenTec's practice of black listing former customers is ethically acceptable or not to you.  There is no "rest of the story".  What I have told you are the facts.  I ordered a Jupiter from TT several years ago which was delived and found to have an instability problem.  TT generously replaced it with a second Jupiter which was found to have significant birdies and low sensitivity on bands 17 through 10 meters.  I called them to expalin this and they agreed to refund my money after sending back the Jupiter, which I did of course. I never received an explanation from TT on the cause of the problems reported in the two Jupiters.  Not hearing from them with an explanation, and not realizing at this point I had been black listed from ever buying products from them again, I wrote a negative review on the Jupiters and TT and posted this on eHam's Equipment Reviews under "Jupiter" transceivers.  I would recommend that no one contemplating doing business with TT ever post negative reviews on eHam least you too get black listed.

As to why I would want to buy an Orion II, let me say this.  I have carefully studied all the posts on http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/TenTec/2005-07/index.html and elsewhere regarding the Orion II and considering that TT has had ample time to work the bugs out of their original Orion firmware, I decided I would take the plunge.  Little did I know that TT would refuse my order.  You see, apparantly I had more faith in their Orion II product's quality and performance then they have.  They didn't want to take a chance on my returning it or writing a negative review on eHam.  I was even willing to buy the Orion II without the 30 day return privelidge.  How dumb can I get some may ask?  

So now you know the rest of the story.  Let it rest, just be careful what you write about TT on eHam's equipment reviews. Maybe there is a lot to be said about eHam's policy of allowing reviewers to log on with an Anonymous identification and no call sign.
KW4CQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 05:26:35 AM »

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention.  My two reviews on the Jupiters I posted in 2003 "mysteriously" disappeared from eHam's review section shortly after they were posted.  Hmmm. I wonder why?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 08:19:04 AM »

Is the Orion II on the market, and currently available?

If so, I guess I didn't know that.

My only recent experience with TT is a few years ago when I sent in an order for a new amplifier, with credit card info etc, for immediate delivery.  They responded they had no stock and delivery would be several weeks, so I canceled the order and bought something else.  But they did respond quickly, so the negative experience turned slightly positive.

I've never been in the ham gear manufacturing business, but in the businesses I have been in, we don't even bother trying to sell anything until it's in stock and immediately available in quantity to support our marketing forecasts, so as to prevent a good product from becoming a failure.  At HP, our process was to stock all the distribution centers with product to sell for at least 60 days prior to announcing a new product launch.  That way, on the "announcement" date, everybody could buy the new item, whatever it was.

Seems like that worked, since HP was a $900 million company back then and it's a $70 billion one today...

WB2WIK/6

WA4CCH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 03:05:49 PM »

WAY TO GO TEN-TEC

CHUCK
KC4UEB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 09:02:22 PM »

If your review of TenTec's radio suddenly disappeared then it's obvious there's a *relationship* between TenTec and the folks at eHam.net.

Real nice.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 08:18:31 AM »

<< If your review of TenTec's radio suddenly disappeared then it's obvious there's a *relationship* between TenTec and the folks at eHam.net. >>

Not likely, in the sense that you are implying.

eHam quite often removes "reviews" that are not really a review of a product but a rant against the manufacturer. I am more inclined to believe this is what happened, rather than some nefarious conspiracy to keep disparaging reviews of TenTec products out of public view.

eHam may not be perfect, but the folks here have much more class than that.

Lon
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 08:30:59 AM »

Humm - If a company is offering a product for sale to the public I wonder if they have the legal right to refuse to sell to one individual. I would think that if you can produce the cash they would have to sell it to you or take it off the market.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: