Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serious Problem with Mosley  (Read 2183 times)
W4NJF

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2008, 03:09:33 PM »

On 19 May this year,I ordered some parts for an antenna using Mosley traps.Gave the sales rep ( IIRC Gary) my Visa # and it was promptly debited on 21 May.Was told the order would shipped "within 7-10 business days";ok no problem.17 June rolls around,still no parts,but my B of A Visa showed a charge of $399.84 credited to Mosley.
Called them up this AM (they did not respond to my e-mails to them regarding the status of this order)and got gaffed off again-now before I turn this over to B of A for action,what experiences have you had with this outfit?Mosley was great back in the '60s,is it just a ripoff now?
73 de Bill W4NJF
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 11:48:09 AM »

I think they've gone seriously downhill since founder W0FQY passed on.  Almost everybody complains about the service, nothing in stock, etc.

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 12:45:07 PM »

"I think they've gone seriously downhill since founder W0FQY passed on. Almost everybody complains about the service, nothing in stock, etc."

--
Didn't Carl Mosley (W0FQY) die nearly 30 years ago? I've been reading complaints about them for about 29 years I think Smiley  In some ways they're doing a bit better than a few years ago. Website is much better for one thing. Owners son is now involved I think.

Does Mosley ever carry even their biggest selling items (TA33s?) in stock for immediate delivery? I don't understand why they seem to stock nothing... ever. At least that's my impression.  

I would suggest that anyone considering buying a really expensive array from them have their bank run a credit report on Mosley.  

MAZZ1232002

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 01:26:39 PM »

Go to the Mosley web site and click, click, click and click some more trying to see their products, they claim theirs are the best of the best but I be damn if I can find a picture of these best of the best antennas. I guess I must be a little stupid in spite of the fact  that I hold a law degree and an undergraduate degree in Accounting. If what they claim that their construction is the best of any amateur radio antenna (again being a bit stupid) I would think they would at least want to show the stuff off for everyone to see, I guess they know what they are doing.

Pete
  WB4CGA
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 04:08:05 PM »

hi,

Found this on the news section of their website

http://www.mosley-electronics.com/newspage/news.htm

says they are working on emergency military order.

Still no reason to charge your bank card full price
if the antenna is not available in stock,
even a 20% deposit would be a bit much.

73 james
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 07:33:43 PM »

A ham reports on his 2002 trip to Mosley's plant in Union Mo to buy some parts:

"I ask him [Gary the owner] if I could take a tour of the plant while I waited.  He said I could have done so if I had called ahead to arrange the time but that they were working on classified equipment for the government so he couldn’t let anyone in the plant."  

Interesting quote from Mosley's website today:

"Due to this [gov't contract] we will be pulling some of the plant people on and off the amateur production line."

I'm not far from Mosley. I may drive by it some time to see what their amateur "production line" consists of.
WB6T

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 03:12:26 AM »

RE: Mosley Problems
As of today 6/22/08 I am still waiting for parts for my CL-33.  Back in May I ordered the WARC Kit and a 40 Meter element kit for my antenna.  I noticed a few days ago I was billed on my VISA Card for the parts/kits.  Orginally I was told they would have a production run and they would ship in the the first week of July 08.

Seeing this on my credit card, I called Mosley to see if they shipped early.  Reply was NO, they have not run production, but the first week in July they will ship. Actually I thought it was not legal to charge for something not shipped.  Having a new tower instalation up and just sitting there waiting for the parts is tough for me.  I will have to wait another couple of weeks and see if they hold true to their word.  This is the first company I have delt with, that bills before the product is even in production.  I question if I should have went ahead and paid for this until I received the kits.  WB6T@ARRL.NET  
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 03:18:14 PM »

Since they build antennas, it's hard to believe anything they do could be classified as secret by the military.  In fact, I'd bet the bank that statement is just baloney.

We build navigation and surveillance computing systems for the Global Hawk and other military aircraft, and nothing about any of it is classified.  Anyone who wishes can walk through the plant while we're making this stuff.  All the "classified" information is software which we don't touch and have never loaded -- Grumman does that part.

WB2WIK/6
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 03:22:23 PM »

>RE: Serious Problem with Mosley       Reply
by K0OD on June 20, 2008    Mail this to a friend!
"I think they've gone seriously downhill since founder W0FQY passed on. Almost everybody complains about the service, nothing in stock, etc."

--
Didn't Carl Mosley (W0FQY) die nearly 30 years ago? I've been reading complaints about them for about 29 years I think Smiley In some ways they're doing a bit better than a few years ago. Website is much better for one thing. Owners son is now involved I think.<

::30 years ago they didn't have a website, nor did anyone else!  Yes, Carl died decades ago and I do think the company took a downhill turn almost immediately thereafter.

I used to be a stocking distributor for Mosley products back in 1966-1970 (Federated Electronics, in Springfield, NJ) and we had dozens of their beams in stock: TA-33's, CL-33's, TA-36's, etc.  We even stocked their 6m and 2m beams, and some accessories.  On a typical day, we probably had fifty Mosley beams in the warehouse.

Now as far as I know, they don't have any stocking distributors at all and as reported here, do some suspicious things with customer's credit cards.  Sounds like a company without enough operating revenue, so they manufacture to order only, and after they get paid.  

It was never anything like that 30 years ago.

WB2WIK/6
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 05:32:56 PM »

I first toured the old Mosley plant on Lindbergh Boulevard in St. Louis around 1958 with my junior high radio club.

In that chilly period, hams were finger printed as part of the licensing process. We kids worried about  being sent to Gitmo for not having a functioning Conelrad monitor. Smiley Eisenhower himself must have run my pals and me past Joe McCarthy as we did get to see those ultra secret Mosley antennas in production.

W4NJF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 12:16:01 PM »

Well guess what! The items that I ordered on 17 May just showed up today.I guess you just have to "rattle Gary's cage" to get any results.Tnx to all the hams that were sympathetic to me on  this (and specially to Steve,WB2WIK
Hi KID!Vy best 73 de Bill W4NJF (ex WA2UUV)).
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 02:37:55 PM »

Glad they came through, Bill!

Now I can take the pins out of the little Mosley doll and stick them in the wall map...

:-)

Steve WB2WIK/6
WU8P

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 05:09:12 AM »

I purchased a TA 33 about 5 years ago. It was the same back then. First it was the military orders, then it was on the dock waiting for pick-up, finally it was "we received the wrong Aluminum stock" you don't want a bad Yagi, do you ?
It was getting quite funny at the end. I would call just for a new excuse.
The TA 33 is a very good Yagi, but I don't think the aggravation is worth it.

Phil WU8P
MAZZ1232002

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 10:08:41 AM »

A friend of mine ordered a TA-33 from them back in the mid 90's, he waited about 5 to 6 months for delivery. I helped him put it up and take it down, real top quality antenna, If I were wanting a tribander that is what I would order but well ahead of time!

Pete
  WB4CGA
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 09:34:13 PM »

"Now I can take the pins out of the little Mosley doll and stick them in the wall map... "

Oh, so that's how propagation works at the bottom of the cycle...

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: