Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: True-Talk G5RV  (Read 988 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2007, 12:50:44 PM »

Howdy, I have some interest on the true talk G5RV antenna , but I am wondering How do you place a Balum or RF supriser on that antena when it already comes sealed, any comes would be higly appreciated
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 02:02:36 PM »

The baluN (not "balum") would go at the end of the parallel line closest to the shack.  Connect your coax there also (it's where the BALanced line meets the UNbalanced line).

I didn't find any manufacturer's instructions on the Internet (didn't look that hard), but do a search on G5RV antennas with Google.  Not every antenna sold as a "G5RV" really is one.  You can do as well, for a lot less money, by making a center-fed doublet that's a resonant length on 40 meters, feeding it with 60 feet or so of parallel line (ladder line, window line, whatever) through a tuner.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 07:12:09 PM »

What's an RF supriser?
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 09:34:24 PM »

sorry I ment RF Isolator, I am always doing 100 things on the computer, so type things wrong often
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 08:41:11 AM »

WIK:  "What's an RF supriser?"

Steve - for me it was a long time ago when my lips brushed the metal blast screen on my old mike.  Definitely a surprise!  Bit of antenna work fixed it, though ;>)

BTW, I took that question to mean "RF Suppressor".

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N3MQM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 09:11:13 PM »

I have one, no balun needed pehaps a rf choke but I have mine straight to the tuner.
W8VZM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 06:33:29 PM »

I have the 160m version. It works well. No balun needed. I use an MFJ Tuner 943 I beleive and it works great!
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 12:03:25 PM »

The reaqson I wnat thsi atenna is to take it with me to a trip to south america, so it looks like will be easy to install anywhere, if anybody has use it in portabnle condition let me know experience about it
AA4TX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 01:56:14 PM »

I have the 102' version for trips with the Boy Scouts into the backcountry. I use an LDG Z-100 tuner on an FT-857D with battery/solar combination (no balun). The antenna is well constructed, and easy to raise between two trees. We usually get it up about 40-45'; it performs great on 20m, and gives us good service on 40m and 80m as well. It will load up on other bands, but current conditions don't allow me to do a proper evaluation. We have made quite a few 6m QSO's with it though. It is a bit heavy, so we do not use it for long distance backpacking, (simple long wire & couterpoise for those outings). I would recomend this antenna for quick, easy setup in backcountry terrain as long as you didn't need to carry it too far.

John
KI4LTX
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 02:55:56 PM »

well thanks for the comments on the antenna, I am planning a trip out of the country, so I not walking backpacking ahahah , but I do have room to place a dipole where I am going
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: