Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware Idiom Press!!  (Read 55831 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2008, 07:52:44 AM »

N4UE: "As was prerviously mentioned, do your homework, check the reviews and decide for yourself. I would NOT hesitate to buy again from <<<Bob>>>!"

You should do YOUR homework and read thru this thread. Bob turned the company over to his son Rob in 2007. But perhaps things have improved. I haven't seen any complaints about their service lately.

KE5BTY

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 04:13:15 PM »

I hate to pick off this scab, but I placed an order with Idiom Press back on December 16th.  It is now January the 22nd.  I have not heard a peep out of Idiom Press regarding the status of my order, despite a couple of e-mails asking very politely for a status update.  I have tried calling on several occasions, but nobody is answering their phone.

At this point, I am most concerned that something has happened to Rob Locher or that the business has shut down and the website is on auto-pilot.  I have even tried searching obituaries for Robert Locher III.

Any kind of response would be appreciated.  I don't want to cancel my order.  I really don't want to paint Idiom Press in a bad light.  I just want to be informed.
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 06:03:05 PM »

"..This time the little guy who makes these (Bob)was very rude. I've talked to other people who got the same treatment.."

Oh come on.  Bob is one of the nicest guys on the planet.  I am not buying it.  QC issues happen, and he's the last person who would want to hang a customer out to dry.  I think I'll order something from him tonight just because I feel like it.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2010, 07:18:58 AM »

"***Bob*** is one of the nicest guys on the planet"

Jeesh! Bob told me he didn't have anything to do with the company anymore. His son ***Rob*** ran it.

Yes, QC problems happen. That's why firms use telephone, email and their website to communicate quickly with customers.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2010, 07:55:55 PM »

I got the impression that things were very busy at Idiom Press when I was ready to place my order, so I ordered my K5 from Morse Express instead of directly from Idiom.

No problems since.

K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2010, 08:19:53 PM »

I'd say it may be bordering on actionable, as malicious damage to reputation, to RERUN damaging remarks about IDIOM PRESS, the NEWEST of which is from 2008.  I ordered, received  and built a COMS 4 in 2009 (yeah, like RECENTLY ) and had an enjoyable time building it, saw NO substandard parts, and it worked first shot.  I check for new products from them on a regular basis.  BEWARE EHAM RERUN REVIEWS
K3PI

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 05:41:30 PM »

I love my K5.  Great great product.
KO4BB

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2010, 10:32:31 AM »

I am Bob Locher, W9KNI, and Idiom Press is my business.

I value Idiom Press's reputation, and stand behind my products. In fact Idiom Press still offers support for every product we have ever sold in our 23 years in business, something very rare in any industry. On the rare occasions that a customer has a problem we always try to work with him or her and resolve the problem.

Bob Locher, W9KNI
President, Idiom Press

I called Idiom Press several times on the telephone and left several emails. That was over a month ago. All  want is a quote for a spare processor for my Rotor EZ controller that was zapped by lightning. I never got as much as an acknowledgment of my calls/emails.

As far as I can tell, Idiom Press is no longer in business. Feel free to prove me wrong, an email will suffice.

I would like to know if anyone has a spare Rotor EZ controller that he would be willing to sell to me.
I like the functionality, but at the moment, I can't take the time to design my own.

Thanks in advance,

Didier KO4BB
W7ZRC

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2010, 07:13:09 AM »

What's up with Idiom Press?

I ordered a rotor ez rs-232 kit from Rob when we were at the Seaside hamvention the first of June. Altho the kits were not in stock, I paid my cash and trusted the kit would be sent. So far nothing. In fact, Idiom Press won't answer phone calls, emails or my FAX. Other friends of mine who have ordered related products from IP have not had any response to their inquiries either.

Are they out of business and have I lost my cash?

Rod Greene, W7ZRC
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 01:40:35 AM »

I'd say it may be bordering on actionable, as malicious damage to reputation, to RERUN damaging remarks about IDIOM PRESS, the NEWEST of which is from 2008.  I ordered, received  and built a COMS 4 in 2009 (yeah, like RECENTLY ) and had an enjoyable time building it, saw NO substandard parts, and it worked first shot.  I check for new products from them on a regular basis.  BEWARE EHAM RERUN REVIEWS

Well, I for one am glad of this re-run, Bob is no longer running the company by the looks of it, so the love-Bob crowd can chill out, but as
I was looking at their website and considering buying a keyer, I am glad of the re-runs, I see a red flag on my purchase.
Companies are not fossilised, and things change, especially in small businesses.
To assume the same as before is natural, but I for one don't love a company enough to buy with my eyes closed.
Thanks to Eham for giving information, good and bad. We are big boys, we can make up our own mind after that.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 06:50:41 PM »

hi,

you may want to contact Scott, owner of qth.com,
he may have a better way to contact Idiom.

http://billing.qth.com/contact.php

73 james
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2010, 01:16:22 PM »

Bob's son is running the company.  I have ordered several times and had my order filled very quickly.  YMMV, but I would order from them again if I had the need.
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2010, 07:48:52 PM »

Idiom Press makes GUD stuff!! Period. I purchased a SCAF-1 Audio Filter when Bob was changing the design slightly. Having been a EE with IBM, writing Service Manuals, Bob not only accepted my small suggestions, but implemented them immediatly into all following kits.
I love mine and think Bob and Idiom Press are the BEST!!

ron
N4UE
VE3GNU

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2010, 05:51:03 AM »

Back in the spring my 6-year old CMOS keyer developed a problem that was diagnosed by Rob via an exchange of several emails. I sent him the two suspected IC's---with one of them being the culprit---and replaced without charge.  Great service from a great company!  I'll definitely will buy from Idiom Press again.
73---Ernie
VE3GNU
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2010, 07:18:32 AM »

Idiom Press has probably grown to the point that they probably need additional employees to help out, but the current owner may be too cheap to hire them. It happens all the time in small business. Wink
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: