About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cw man  (Read 2426 times)
N8MUS

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2008, 08:36:14 PM »

Cw-man on ebay? Seems to have good reviews but I just cant bid on radios that have had all the filters ripped out to be sold separately to make a few extra bucks off of fellow hams. Why do we bid on items from folks pulling this junk. Frankly I don't and if the rest of us out there would stop then that would end this questionable practice. Is any one else bugged by this? Its not just this person but he seems to part out everything he sells. Why?HuhHuh
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 07:49:49 AM »

Seems like a creative idea. I have some old radios that are way over-filtered.

I'm always amazed at the people who think the handful of remaining dealers are getting rich.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 06:25:24 PM »

hi,

at one of our club meetings over ten years ago,
most of the guys there also spoke about
sellers removing the optional filters
before selling the raido.

this is common at hamfests and everywhere else.

73 james
A9KW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 06:57:48 PM »

I have bought a lot of products from Tim.He is very honest and a good business man.If I ever had a problem,I know he would stand behind it.

TOM
N9ZV
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 09:36:56 PM »

CW Man has a 99.9% customer approval rating. That's stupendous!

His reviews are miles better than many non-ebay ham suppliers I've had the misfortune to deal with lately (such as 3 months to get a keyer shipped to me).

I have several old Kenwoods jammed with costly narrow CW filters that the large majority of buyers wouldn't use and wouldn't pay a penny extra for. Only makes sense to sell filters separately to the DXer or contester who needs a hard-to-find 270hz filter. Yanking specialty filters also allows dealers to sell basic radios for less.  

I have a lot more sympathy for Tim's need to earn an honest living and a return on his labor/investment (especially in tough times) than I do for a ham's desire for "really good [windfall] deals."  
W3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 08:54:52 PM »

Ditto on Tim being a good guy.

What makes someone feel anyone owes them anything? I don't understand this thing that because you have a amateur license then you MUST not make a penny selling to another amateur or you're labeled a dealer, shyster, scrum vendor and low life freak.

Great real!  Tim and guys like him go out and scout the country finding radios that would sit around unused otherwise and sell them. Therefore he is contributing to the amateur community and NOT ripping them off.  Many ham are so cheap it would be impossible to become rich, unless you sell two hundred million used filters I guess.

The fact that CW Man doing what he does bothering anyone and obviously the author of this topic---well that strange and twisted attitude bothers me just as much, maybe I should start a topic too.
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 05:23:37 AM »

A lot of folks do very similar things.  I'm sure you've seen this with eHam sellers when they offer package deals, or part out the equipment.  And I'm certainly guilty of the same thing.  When I sold my IC-706MKII, I pulled the CW filter and sold it separately.  And when I sold my Yaesu MKV, I sold the SP8 speaker separately.  You can generally do better when breaking up the package - it's just part of maximizing my return on used equipment so I can buy that new equipment with less monetary pain.

Phil - AD5X
W3QE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 06:39:54 AM »

That is why I have little respect for the practice, and I no longer allow myself to get involved with "dealers"

====================================================

Like anything and all matters in life there are going to be disingenuous people---fallen world and all that---but to label "dealers" a dirty name is the kind of thinking that starts wars. Everyone in their own eyes is moral and doing what's right while the next guy should behave as they do and if they did things would be perfect and if they don't, well then they are just no good---and so it goes.  

I am trained in avionics, did bench work for seven straight years. If I sell am I still a “dealer” or does my experience sanctify me? If so why? Who determines it? The author of this topic? You?  
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 01:31:47 PM »

"From my experience, "dealers" have a propensity to attempt repairs on their own, in an effort to recoup maximum profit. Unfortunately, this often results in a botched repair attempt..."

Hilarious! Regular hams never do that, eh?

Right now I'm in the process of sending off my boat anchor TS-820 to Kenwood restoration expert k5EAA after I botched a dial mechanism repair.

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »

"Right now I'm in the process of sending off my boat anchor TS-820 to Kenwood restoration expert..."

Do you understand the 3 words, "Kenwood Restoration Expert?" The 32 year old Kenwood with a complex HRO type dial will cost me $300 to restore to better than new condition. It's just a memento to me.

That radio isn't for sale. I never sell any of my old stuff although I have given some things away. I haven't bought a used radio in 45 years.

You'all have fun now.

N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 01:26:25 PM »

Good 'ole Radiomart subscribes to this policy, BIG TIME.

He DOES have nice equipment for sale from time to time. Although I am not allowed to bid on his "LOOK, FROM MY PERSONAL COLLECTION" etc, I have been to his house, once.
All I can say is the way to tell if he's lying, is to watch his lips. If they move, he's lying.

I understand that everyone wants max $ for their sale items. I have NO problem with that...
What bugs me is seing him sell a MINT (really!!) Drake SPR-4 and have ALL the crystals, Noise Blanker, etc, listed seperately.
If a buyer is not well versed in a particular item, they may indeed get that "MINT" radio, but not be able to enjoy it due to lack of coverage....

my $.02

Asbestos suit nearby......

ron

N4UE
AL7FS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 07:29:11 PM »

At first blush one might worry about pulling filters and such but think about it...I don't recall even one dealer selling me a radio with the filters pre-installed.  It comes down to personal preferences on dealings, I guess.  Sure...I like a good deal but what CW-man is doing is not a true problem especially if he sells honestly and you know what you are buying.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 06:29:31 AM »

"I just cant bid on radios that have had all the filters ripped out to be sold separately to make a few extra bucks off of fellow hams."[/quote]

Why not?

I don't see what the problem is. He's not parting it out; he's removing options that can be reinstalled easily.

It's not just about making more money, either. Some buyers might not want all the filters, either because they're not interested in certain modes, or because they want to install their own (such as Inrads). Other buyers might only want specific filter options. Still others might have a rig and just want the filters. Selling separately maximizes the options for buyers.

73 de Jim, N2EY
VE2ITZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 01:35:12 PM »

But isnt that what the basis of capitalism and free enterprise is about?

I mean the guy has his business and he is doing business.

I have dealt with him in the past and he is a good seller on ebay.

I once bought a radio for 80 dollars and made a profit of 40 dollars by reselling it.

I still recall there was a fellow on QRZ that found this to be malpractice and was implying that i was a thief!

But yet we are ready to pay more than what a product actually cost to produce when we buy from a big company or name brand.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 09:45:05 PM »

It s acommon practice that unfortunately is too widespread and even if 99.99% of hams (or consumers) decide to walk away from that still leaves a very large number of potential buyers out there.
The car you want is advertized as "starting at <pick a number>" With all the options you'd like it's always "a lot more".

You look at model houses, they are all decked out with all the options.
You hear the price (starting at the low <pick a number> lets say 400 (California here) ...but that doesn't include all the options installed when you were looking at the house. You add the options yu'd like and all of a sudden you realize you were looking at a 595K house oops Smiley

Is there something wrong with ham radio businesses doing it as well?
I'm not completely sure.
Most of us with a few of our good friends would have a very nice chat with the guy that tries to chat up a recent ham's widow to help her "get rid of his old stuff".
There is a gray line there somewhere and some like to walk on it and others pretend it's not there Smiley
It's like the onld "which wolf survives? / the one you feed story"
If you have issues with what someone is doing, vote with your wallet and don't buy from them.  And tell your friends.
Thanks for telling us Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: