Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fence rail for mast  (Read 528 times)
K3JVB

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2008, 06:07:04 PM »

Hello all, and Happy New Year...

I am going to help a fellow ham erect a vhf omni set up( stacked 6 and two meter halo type). I plan to use chain link rails for the mast's
They are about 11 feet in lenght , with swaged ends.
Using 4 sections it will be a little over 44 feet in total lenght. About 28 feet of that lenght will be suported by 5 wall brackets . So that will leave about 16 feet un-supported. The 6 meter stack will be 12 feet apart, the 2 meter stack will be between the 6 meter loops.

My guestion...will the fence rail handle the wind loading of the stacked 6 and 2 meter loops? Or will it need some guys? I have never them before and want to play it safe.
Thanks and 73
John
k3jvb
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 09:26:18 PM »

Tried to "walk up" 3 of these,with no load,  the strain was too much and the center one quickly folded to 90 degree angle. If you are going to do as you say you most likely will need to use a "push up" method and bracket as you said the first 28 feet. The remaining 16 feet most assuredly will need guying particularly if a rotator will be on the top.
    This stuff is definitely inexpensive but is not made for the stresses of a vertical load and I think the risk of failure is very great even if guyed, but it might work for you. Having seen how quickly it gave in to the stresses in my attempt I would not use it and discarded the stuff I had.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 05:30:42 AM »

Fence rail is good for fences.  The tag at Home Depot doesn't say "Fence Rail / Antenna Mast".  It just says Fence Rail.  Buy the real thing.
W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 08:57:46 AM »

I have to agree with CRY here.  If you WANT to do it over, use the fence rail.  If you only want the bother and expense one time, get a real mast.  And yes, you'll have to guy it.  My Rohn 50' push up mast has (go figure) five guy points.

GL
Doug W5GA
K3JVB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 09:19:27 PM »

Thanks All

The mast or fence rail will have very little load on it. Only four total loops, 2 two meter, and 2 six meter. I have a another Rohn 40 foot push up mast on the other side of the QTH. This set up does have a light Hex beam and a rotor. It is guyed At 2 levels, and bracked at the 28 foot level.

Was looking at fence rail, mainly because of the shipping cost of another Rohn....and the light load I plan to put on top of the mast.

Maybe re-think it, and try some plumbing supplys(water pipe). Or just step up and buy another Rohn.
Thanks again
JohnB
k3jvb
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: