Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hustler 5BTV Install  (Read 1057 times)
K3EKO

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2008, 07:18:55 PM »

For those of you who enjoy looking at antenna project photos, I have completed my Hustler 5BTV install with DXE tilt-over base, radial plate, and choke.  I have twelve radials down so far and more coming, but are not included in the photo I took of the base.  The URL is:

www.k3eko.com/k3eko-hustler.html

Frank K3EKO

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 07:37:03 PM »

Nice, neat installation, but I don't see where you grounded the coax to your single-point ground before it enters the house or a separate ground wire from the antenna to your SPG.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N9SCW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 08:29:05 PM »

Nice and neat install, but I believe that Hustler recommends not using concrete for the base. Hope everything works out for you. I love my Hustler vertical.

73 Brian
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:39:43 PM »

That's a clean install, Frank.  But looking at the conduit, there appears to be no drainage for condensate which is guaranteed to build up very quickly inside the pipe as it "breathes" in and out with temperature changes. Ideally, you should have had a gentle downward slope at either end of the pipe with a tee in the middle pointing down into a french drain.  Without proper drainage, the conduit will have a soaking wet interior in no time. Sealing it off at both ends with that grey putty will slow it.
NS5M

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 10:26:49 AM »

Interesting use of U-bolts on the tilt-base. Is that how DXEnigneering supplies it now? Does that configuration provide a steady mount? Mine, about 3 years old, has regular (straight) bolts.

Nice, neat install, by the way - best of luck with it.
Jim
K3EKO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 12:41:46 PM »

W3LK:  I am still working on the grounding system.  

NS5M:  The initial hardware used on the tilt-base was incorrect.  We replaced using the correct hardware.

73 de Frank K3EKO

K3EKO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 07:48:51 PM »

Why is it improper using concrete for the base?
N9SCW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 06:12:46 AM »

On my 4btv I believe it specifically says not to use concrete on the base. I will double check it though.
K3EKO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 11:54:54 AM »

I read about not using concrete but why?
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 02:30:48 PM »

This is a guess.  My 5BTV and its instructions are long gone.  But I think New-Tronics (unfortunately) assumes that the vast majority of the BTV users want to pound a pipe into the ground, mount the antenna, and have at it with pipe being the only ground for the antenna.  If you surround the pipe with concrete, you'd have the poorest ground at best.  You have radials, so the pipe in concrete isn't an issue.

Something to note.  If you add a sufficient number of radials, your BTV will require a trap adjustment for the same reasons.  Once again, New-Tronics assumes the user will have a poor ground plane under the antenna and consequently with the BTV series, a feedpoint impedance of around 50 ohms; a seemingly perfect match!

They're great antennas.  It's a shame the manufacturer designs, and tunes them the way they do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: