Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Andrew Heliax Questions  (Read 500 times)
DAPAQ2

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2008, 12:37:25 PM »

Group,

Anyone here have experience with the Andrew LDF5 heliax? Also can anyone help educate me on the various connectors they offer for this size cable? I am considering a bulkhead for the wall just like a cable tv jack but unsure as to how this actually works and what it looks like. I cannot find any good photos on Andrews website and none of the local dealers stock any of this stuff to look at and hold in person...

Doug
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »

I use a lot of it.  LDF5-50A, specifically: This is .875" Heliax, and 50 Ohms nominal impedance.  Other variants are available.

Its data sheet is here:

http://www.dateline.ru/download/datasheets/Andrew_LDF5-50A.pdf

The most common cable end connector is the ordinary Type N, which clamps onto the cable and looks like this:

http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=457744&eventPage=1

Other connectors are available, too, but they all cost more.

If you want to make a "bulkhead" panel for these, you'd use ordinary, plain-old-vanilla Type N bulkhead adapters, install Type N male connectors on the cable ends, and just screw them in.

WB2WIK/6
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 12:34:52 AM »

I use lots of Andrew LDF5-50A 7/8" Heliax. GREAT stuff!  But IS large and very stiff. Do not expect to screw the connectors to anything but short jumpers made up from something like Times LMR-400 on each end.

Good used connectors usually sell in the $20 dollar each range.
There is a roll of used 7/8" complete with connectors on Ebay right now with a starting bid of only 10 bucks.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/Andrew-LDF5-50A-Heliax-and-accessories_W0QQitemZ190236953230QQihZ009QQcategoryZ48704QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
NH7O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 11:23:28 AM »

I used a few copper plumbing fittings to make an adapter to a PL259. You have to be careful about how you apply heat, but it works.

If you are looking at the Andrews website, then perhaps you aren't concerned about cost. I use a run of the coax in question which was obtained from a cell site install. The techs gave away some roll ends that were too short. I'm a classic cheap ham so I rolled my own splices and connections. Unless you are working at high UHF there is no problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: