Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting Rotor Inside Tower  (Read 646 times)
W8RID

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2008, 06:44:45 AM »

I have a Ham 2 rebuilt rotor and control box.
I have designed the base plate for my tower. (it fits!!)

I have also set up the cutout pattern for the mounting holes and the wire connections for the base plate. Have not cut these out yet on the plate)

I have downloaded the manual for this unit but it does not say anything about having to mount the rotor on the base plate in any specific direction.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to mount the rotor to the base plate sot it will be as close to being N,S, E, W as possible??

My tower will have a single leg pointing due South and the other 2 legs will be pointing due North.

This is my first tower project and I want to get this right the first time.

Bob
W8RID
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 08:03:57 AM »

I doesn't matter how the rotator is mounted in the tower.  Think about it a bit.

You do need to run the rotator to one of it's end stops and determine if this will be North or South. Then you insert the antenna and turn it in the rotator clamp until the antenna is pointing in the selected direction.  Voila.  Now when you rotate the rotator the antenna will automatically point where it's supposed to.
KA3ZLS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 06:33:59 PM »

It sounds like you are giving yourself more work than you have to do.  You can find a rotor plate used on one of the classified websites pretty cheap or a new one for around 35-50 dollars depending on the type of tower with all the holes precut for you.  I found a couple of clone rohn 25 rotor plates for less than 20 dollars each made of heavy duty steal and holes cut out correctly that I am currently using in both of my towers.  Once you get the plate into the tower you usually want to mount the rotor so that connections are easily accessible incase you make a wiring mistake.  There is a cut out usually on the plate to expose the connectors on the rotor.  I use a CD45II in one a Ham 3 in the other so the wiring is on the underside of the rotor.  Once you get the rotor mounted and get the antenna and mast in place you can turn the mast by hand and point the antenna to the correct direction and then tighten the screws.  

73, Chris
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 12:39:35 AM »

Yep, CRY is correct.   Mount the rotor inside the tower in any old direction. Does not matter.

What DOES matter is that when you install antennas on the mast that they point in the direction the rotor shows..........  
DO install the entire system of rotor, Plate, and mast ahead of time, Making sure the mast is centered in the rotor (Some shims might be needed)  And that it turns freely in all directions before you erect the tower with it.

Do leave some slack in the rotor wire at the top of the tower in case work is ever needed in the future.

I usually install it with the rotor at it's midway point (A north centered rotor controller set at north, etc) So that your coax loops are at the mid point when installed.  In this case, North centered rotor control, And the controller set to north, Just tighten the antennas down facing north.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: