Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Texas Towers owner needs a Customer Service Lesson  (Read 3175 times)
K4MT

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2000, 02:31:31 PM »

I recently made a large purchase at Texas Towers. Due to a shipping error I was due a $22.00 refund. When we talked to the owner he was not helpful and eventually said that he had spent more than $22 of his time and we could just forget it!  When we told him that we would not make another purchase from them because of this poor service we were told that they just didn't care if we did or not. I can't believe someone who takes your money and doesn't care if your pleased or not.

I work for Ten-Tec Inc where customer service comes first and I can see no way a business can treat customers who have mode over $1000,00 purchases that way.  

These people do not deserve the business of Hams who expect any level of customer support!
KC0M

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2000, 08:10:40 PM »

I didn't even get past the ordering stage till I deceided I had called the wrong company, they are not the only store in town.

WT8Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2000, 02:18:19 PM »

I once ordered $800 to $900 worth of antenna/tower
parts from Texas Tower's. I ordered in January and
left on a month long trip figuring when I got home
the part's would be there. Wrong, they billed my
Master Card but no part's. When I called them it took
them two days to find my order and their reply was
"we don't have the part's and we don't know when they will be in stock". I asked them "why did you take my order if you could not supply"? No responce just silence on the phone. I requested them to cancel and credit my Master Card. I will never use them
again.
K5IQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2000, 12:59:40 AM »

Just over a year ago I decided it was time for a new IC-746 and because Texas Towers had a good price and I had purchased from them before I placed an order.  My request to have the rig shipped to my office was met with a demand that I call the bank that issued my Visa card and have them put my office mailing address in their records.  The Visa folks said they had no way of doing such a thing.  Texas Towers said they wouldn't ship.  The owner even got on the phone and bellowed about "company policy" and "credit card fraud".  When I suggested a simple way to verify that my office address is legit (we have a ham club at work of which I'm the trustee), and that AES has never had trouble shipping to a different address, the owner went ballistic and began screaming.  He even yelled that I was "wasting his time".  Wasting his time?  Someone trying to make a $1300 purchase is WASTING HIS TIME??

Needless to say, I bought my rig from another dealer (at just as good a price and with no maniac on the other end).  Later I posted an account of my experience on the SOAPBOX section of my own website.  Even though I didn't mention Texas Towers directly by name, I received an AMAZING number of e-mails from folks who a) happened across my website, and b) HAD HAD SIMILAR EXPERIENCES with them!  Since then, I have spoken with hams who related horror stories about Texas Tower's WALK-IN business as well!

The biggest problem is, they are one of only a couple of Phillystran dealers in the U. S.  I'm told that Burghardt also carries Phillystran products and you can rest assured, next tower project Burghardt will get my order.

Customer service lessons?  They would be completely wasted.  With the total disregard for the customer, the hostility, the rudeness, the down-home craziness exhibited by its owner, it absolutely ASTOUNDS me that Texas Towers continues in business.  To my thinking, there are two kinds of Texas Towers customers--those who have HAD problems, and those who WILL.
NK5A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2000, 12:09:28 PM »

This customer service thing with Texas Towers has been going on for a long time. I am a local ham in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and have heard these stories for years. My own experience involved trying to buy a Rohn
BX tower from them in 1988. I called them to see if they had what I wanted "in stock". The guy on the phone assured me that they did. I drove 75 miles (one way) to their store the next day and was told that they did not
have the tower and all they could do was put me on a waiting list for the tower. They said they expected to have the tower in 6 weeks. Well, I was not a happy camper. If any of you has ever experienced the traffic on Dallas freeways then you might understand my frustration at coming back empty handed. Haven't dealt with them since.

I did purchase the BX tower I wanted from a mail order
outfit in Kansas, had the tower in a week shipped by truck and saved about $55 bucks over TT in the process.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2000, 06:56:30 PM »

Guess I'm the only one Texas Towers knows how to take care of... Half a dozen orders over a year or two with no hassles.

?

Never change a password on a Friday                
KC0GUK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2000, 02:48:59 PM »

I have not had any problems at all.  Friendly people and when I ordered my 706, it was back ordered, and when it showed up at TT, it was shipped out that day.  I went to order a keyer and tuner, they were not in store, and I was going on vacation for a few weeks and asked if they could email me when they came in, and they did.

KC0GUK/AG
KD5CTJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2000, 07:49:36 PM »

I also had no problem with TT. In fact all of my orders have been with them. When the 706-2G was back ordered, they had me on a waiting list and never seemed to mind when I pestered them with "is it there yet?" I was only billed after the unit was shipped, in other words, nothing but good things to say.

I was also TALKED OUT of buying something that I really didn't need. With service like that, I will continue to use them.

Erik
KD5CTJ
AA5CH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2000, 11:40:35 PM »

Since I currently have an order pending with Texas Towers, I read through the comments with great interest. To date, I have not had the problems reported by some. One of the items I ordered was not in stock and it, or any of the other items in stock but not yet shipped, has not been billed to my credit card. They did not confirm my online order by email, but located it quickly when I telephoned to check on it. The guy that answered the phone was pleasant. My order was not a particularly large one. I have done business with them (as well as AES)in the past and plan to continue to do business with both dealers unless something causes me to do otherwise.
W4AWI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2000, 01:02:22 PM »

I tried to buy some Phillistran and its hard to find. Gerald at TT was tough to deal with, abrupt but I dealt with it. Then I want to pay for my small order and he looked up my call sign in a database. Said I had a PO BOX and he wont ship to a PO BOX! After I tried and tried to convince him I need the cable, he mentioned I must be hiding something and he only ships to address on the database. I also said I'e order thousands $$ like this but he would not budge. He asked for a money order up front. He also said he had spent too much time on this call. I thought I was singled out until I found this forum!! Im an antenna factory and I get a lot of ham gear for myself. This guy I will NEVER deal with again. He is either a mental case or just has more business than he can handle, or maybe he's been ripped off badly with a phone order.  Wahetever it is I pity his attitude.
K3VO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2000, 03:11:55 PM »

I to was burned by Texas Towers. They did not ship by the freight company I requested which offered me a large commercial discount. They did not credit me with the $25 rebate on an rotator I ordered all on a very sizeable order.
Ed
WD4AC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2000, 06:54:12 AM »

I purchased an IC-746 (S/N: 006439) from TEXAS TOWERS on 20 July 2000 and it arrived with the F5 function key inoperative. I shipped it back to Texas Towers and they replaced it with another one (SN: 006728). It has problems with the VCO circuit on 2 meters. I.E., strange static/crackling noises on transmit and receive. It's already on it's second trip to Icom. I'm supposed to receive a new replacement for this lemon from Icom.  

As for a friend of mine, AF4JL (Roger) purchased an IC-746 from Texas Towers around the same time period. He received a unit with a defective tuner and it had obvious signs of wear on the front panel. I.E., shiny polished knobs and worn spots near the knobs on the front panel. He shipped the defective unit back to Texas Towers and they shipped him another radio that looked new, but the problems with this unit were too numerous to list briefly. He promptly shipped it back and demanded a refund. They forwarded him a refund check after repeated phone calls and weeks of delay tactics.

Let me conclude this by saying that four IC-746's with problems were shipped to the same geographic area within a week or two. What are the odds of that considering the glowing reports of reliability posted all over the net? Folks, this is not a problem plagued rig. People would be raising cane online if this were the case.

As for me, I absolutely wouldn't recommend these folks to anyone. BEWARE!!!

Alan <WD4AC> ex-km4dt  
KF7CN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2000, 09:57:08 AM »

I have been dealing with TT off and on for almost 20 years.  When I have had good service from them, it has been very good.  When I have had bad service it has been very bad.  

How they act on the phone depends on who answers your call.  Some of the guys there are great to deal with, others should be shown the door (and would be if the owner cared a wit about customers).

I will only order from them now if they are the only dealer that has what I want.  I much prefer to deal with the guys at AES whose service has always been very helpful, fast and courteous.  AES will respond to an email within a couple hours.  TT typically takes at least a week (apparently only one person there knows how to use a computer to retrieve and send email).  

Last Summer I wanted to order an IC-746.  I sent email to both TT and AES.  The same email, with both addresses in the TO: line so they both knew the other had been contacted.  Squeak at AES-Las Vegas returned my email within an hour with price, stock situation, estimated UPS shipping time to me, and a pleasant note that if I called by a certain time that day he would guarantee shipment that day.  I called him a couple minutes later and the rig was on my doorstep 3 days later.  He even talked me out of UPS 2nd day since he said ground would be the same delivery time...thus saving me a few $$.

I was in mid-QSO on my new rig over 2 weeks later when TT finally got back to me.

My current method of dealing with all mail order merchants (Ham radio related and otherwise) is to call and ask about stock early in the morning.  If they have it is stock (or claim to at least) I order.  I then call back late on the very next business day to get the UPS/FedEx tracking number.  If they cannot provide it (which means they haven't shipped it in 2 working days) then I cancel the order.  I absolutely refuse to deal with companies that won't provide tracking numbers because this probably means they are trying to hide their sloppy shipping practices.

This method works for me, try it!

Kevin
AA5CH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2000, 11:10:12 AM »

After posting positive comments regarding Texas Towers, I received several emails warning me that it was just a matter of time before I would have a bad experience with them. The problems I have had with my most recent order have not been  major malfunctions on the order I have read about, but since I earlier came to their defense in this forum, I thought I should report my experience in the interest of fairness.

Middle of November: placed order, items not in stock, no problem I can wait a while, sales rep pleasant

December 4: I have changed my mind about antenna, call TT to find that order hasn't been shipped, I cancel and order other items, one of which not in stock, others "will ship," sales rep pleasant

December 14: Email TT regarding status of my order (I'm only 2 UPS shipping days from TT)

December 19: After no email response, I call TT about order, sales rep advises that "they screwed up, " and that another one of the items I had ordered on the 4th wasn't in stock as the computer had earlier indicated and none of my order has been shipped, I canceled order, sales rep pleasant and apologetic

At no time was anyone at TT rude to me, nor do I feel I have been "cheated" by them; however it does appear that they do have some service issues. Frankly, I am spooked now. I've placed 3-4 small (<$200) online orders with AES during the last month and have had no problem with them. Sorry TT...hope you get your act together...we need different sources, competition , etc.

Brad AA5CH
N8CH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2000, 07:34:43 AM »

I was a walk in customer a few years back when I was passing thorugh Texas on my way to Southern California. I was virtually ignored while I was there. When I finally got someone to talk to me I was told They prefered mailorder to walkin. They went in the back of the store and ignored me. I drove on to San Diego and made my purchase at HRO. At least they talk to you and show you the equipment they have to chose from.
I now order from AES or HRO. Never Texas Tower.
Chuck N8CH
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: